Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
    Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    Considering the A's didn't even really win anything due to that guy's management I think baseball fans are the least impressed by it. They got competitive on a tight budget but I don't think they even won a pennant.
    As cliche as a victorious ending against the odds would have been, it really lacked the punch that that kind of event provides. The movie just kind of fizzled, the build-up was a tease and nothing more and although they quite blatantly make the point about the A's being the first team to do this, it doesn't feel enough. Even the after captions about the approach leading to the Red Sox breaking their hoodoo, doesn't provide a satisfying conclusion.

Blog Entries
    In Time - I really liked the concept and wanted to like the movie aswell, but there were just so many flaws, coincedences and plot holes that stopped this being a good story. The idea of time as currency is forced ahead of the story and as such the movie becomes a showcase for the idea, which isn't all that well developed, instead of an intrinsic, more subtle part of an interesting storyline. I like that they tried it but they won't get many more shots without a better balance, which would be a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    Moneyball - I'm not really sure what the hype was about with this, decent enough sports movie with a solid performance by Pitt but I struggle to believe even huge baseball fans would be crowing about this.
    Believe it baby! I'm a huge baseball fan and I enjoyed the film. Surprised by how much Jonah Hill didn't annoy me.

Saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal. In parts, it hews closely to the original stories. Very good stuff and nice performance by the chap playing Moriarity.
    Last edited by Rob B; December 27th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Believe it baby! I'm a huge Jonah Hill fan and I enjoyed the film. Surprised by how much baseball didn't annoy me.
    That explains a lot

Nice editorial work there Kater. When you least expect, I'll mince your words!

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    saw two movies that couldn't be more different:

Red State - Kevin Smith without the humor, a bit over the top and vengeful towards religion, but still, the issues raised here are no laughing matter.

Late Spring - Yasujiro Ozu poetic portrayal of 1949 Japan and father / daughter relationship. Here's a quote from Roger Ebert, who put this film in his First 100 list and convinced me to check it out:
    It is universally believed, just as in a Jane Austen novel, that a woman of a certain age is in want of a husband. "Late Spring" is a film about two people who desperately do not believe this, and about how they are undone by their tact, their concern for each other, and their need to make others comfortable by seeming to agree with them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    Just saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I have not read the book or seen the original version of this movie but I can say that I enjoyed it immensely and think the character of Lisbeth Salander kicks ass. It's hard to believe that this is the same actress (Rooney Mara) that played the lead in the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot.
    I saw it last night and thought it was good. I didn't quite like it as much as the Swedish original (if you thought Rooney Mara kicks butt, you should check out the Swedish version. The actress in that one is Lisbeth Salander!) but in truth they both tell the story pretty faithfully to the book with slightly different tweeks in each version. I'd recommend it.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just back from Mission Incredible/Impossible. Good fun from Tom and Brad Bird (Director of The Iron Giant/The Incredibles: see what I did there?)

Very slick, very glossy: some awesome stunts which look incredible on a big screen. Plot's a bit all over the place, but generally worth the money.

Better than the last Bond movie...

Mark
    Mark

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Another Year, directed by Mike Leigh and starring Jim Broadbent. Highly recommended if you like a true character movie.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Centurion, a violent action film telling the story of the doomed Ninth Legion that supposedly vanished into the mists 'north of the wall' and never came back.

I enjoyed it for it's own sake but also because it has continuity, sort of , with the next film I'm going to see.....

The Eagle. Based on the excellent children's book 'The Eagle of the Ninth'. Ahhhh, fond memories of youth.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have looked at both of those, Chuff... but not been tempted enough yet. Be interested in what you think/thought.

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Q THE WINGED SERPENT

SWAMP THING

Great 80s B movie fun