Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    I do tend to notice a correlation between female authors and my list of unenjoyed urban fantasy. Some exceptions, but too many of them seem to feature dumb main characters and romance that distracts from the main plot.
    I don't know that I've had that experience with Urban Fantasy, but I'll keep an eye out for it as I sift through new books.

Quote Originally Posted by GilesHash View Post
    I don't know that I've had that experience with Urban Fantasy, but I'll keep an eye out for it as I sift through new books.
    Experience will vary. For example, I felt that in Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin books, the main character isn't that tricky. Most of the plot is her with friends, or her bragging and then being stupid and losing.

At least it doesn't feature the annoying cliche of mysterious hot man rescuing the supposedly tough girl from something she cluelessly and shortsightedly ran into. That happens much to often. (Kate Daniels series, I'm thinking of you.)

And then the romance seems to add another plot to the story, taking time away from the plot I really care about (the mystery, adventure, whatever).

However, a few male UF books seem to break this pattern, including Dresden and the Peter Grant series, the Iron Druid, and a few more.

Some of my favorite secondary-world fantasy authors are female, but I also prefer male UF authors for the most part. Rob (Robyn) Thurman is an exception for me, and perhaps KA Stewart (the jury is still out, her series only has two books so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Some of my favorite secondary-world fantasy authors are female, but I also prefer male UF authors for the most part. Rob (Robyn) Thurman is an exception for me, and perhaps KA Stewart (the jury is still out, her series only has two books so far).
    Non-UF can be a whole different tale. I love Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga (sci-fi), for one.

Cold Days release date announced: http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/201...mber-27th-2012

As the URL indicates, it is Nov. 27th, 2012.

Thanks for the update! I don't follow Butcher's web site any more -- it took up waaaaay too many hours of my day -- so it's nice to get the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Thanks for the update! I don't follow Butcher's web site any more -- it took up waaaaay too many hours of my day -- so it's nice to get the info!
    No problem. You can actually sign up for occasional email alerts, which is what I did: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jbannounce/

reading so much about the DF I'm thinking this has to be must read material

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    The UK synopsis for Cold Days, a bit different:

You can't keep a good wizard down - even when he wants to stay that way.

For years, Harry Dresden has been Chicago's only professional wizard, but a bargain made in desperation with the Queen of Air and Darkness has forced him into a new job: professional killer.

Mab, the mother of wicked faeries, has restored the mostly-dead wizard to health, and dispatches him upon his first mission - to bring death to an immortal. Even as he grapples with the impossible task, Dresden learns of a looming danger to Demonreach, the living island hidden upon Lake Michigan, a place whose true purpose and dark potential have the potential to destroy billions and to land Dresden in the deepest trouble he has ever known - even deeper than being dead. How messed up is that?

Beset by his new enemies and hounded by the old, Dresden has only twenty four hours to reconnect with his old allies, prevent a cataclysm and do the impossible - all while the power he bargained to get - but never meant to keep - lays siege to his very soul.

Magic. It can get a guy killed

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    The UK synopsis for Cold Days, a bit different:
    Thanks very much for that! Based on the other synopsis I had a strong suspicion that Demonreach was going to play that part in this book, but had no way to verify it. Obviously this does that.

Cold Days looks very cool. As much as I didn't really get into the last one, this one seems to promise a more cohesive story.

In what way did you find Ghost Story not cohesive?

I personally did not like Ghost Story as much as the other (later) books in the series. The main reason is because I like to associate myself with the main character, kind of pretend I'm him (which is the biggest reason I hate POV changes...). I enjoy when the MC is pretty smart and powerful*, like Harry. But when he became a ghost, he wasn't as powerful.

The book was still better than most any other urban fantasy (save maybe Simon Green's, which also tend to have a strong MC without much romance distracting everyone from the main plot).

That is one reason I'm looking forward to Cold Days so much - Harry just got a nice power boost!

* Note - I usually don't like when a character is so powerful there are no difficulties or plots (although...Belgarath the Sorcerer was very interesting even though almost no one could directly challenge him...his difficulties were in other areas). But with Dresden, the problems just get bigger as he gets stronger, and I love that.

Actually that was my biggest problem with Ghost Story as well, although I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think Butcher was giving Dresden a chance to use his non-physical powers and I bet we will see a lot of references to it in the future. Stuff like "Normally I would have just fuego'ed him, but my time as a ghost taught me to get the whole story first..."

My biggest worry about Cold Days are the irrevocable changes made to Harry's friends. I *liked* that Harry was the leader and they had to go to Burger King when the adventure was over because Harry liked it. I'm not so sure they will all fall into line now that they have learned to do things by themselves. Will they become more like associates than followers? I'm not sure if that will be as fun.

Also, Harry has no ties to Earth anymore. He has nowhere to live, or work. He doesn't need to work, and his friends don't really need him. How will he fit in? I think his next adventure will be to figure out all of the weirdness corrupting the Winter queen(s), but will it involve his supporting cast?

Quote Originally Posted by phil_geo View Post

Also, Harry has no ties to Earth anymore. He has nowhere to live, or work. He doesn't need to work, and his friends don't really need him. How will he fit in? I think his next adventure will be to figure out all of the weirdness corrupting the Winter queen(s), but will it involve his supporting cast?
    This is going to be a huge change to the series dynamic. Harry has had to struggle and scrounge and beg to get by, pretty much the entire series. Now that this isn't the case, I wonder how different Harry will be. I feel, this was a piece of the puzzle that kept Harry humble. No matter how many bad guys he whooped up on, he always had to come home and worry about paying the bills.