Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    As others have said, he's nowhere close now. GRRM has sold the better part of 10 million books, Rothfuss is simply not in that league (though if I was told that TNotW had sold more than a million copies so far, I'd believe it), despite being the biggest epic fantasy debut for many years. Maybe a few years from now, if Rothfuss can increase his writing speed and catch up with GRRM. Rothfuss's first book is somewhat more approachable than AGoT and I think could win over a larger fanbase, but the likes of GRRM and Robert Jordan have huge head starts.

Of course, if the TV series is a big hit, that'll get millions more people reading the books. But then TNotW could make a good movie as well (with some condensing you could probably do the three books as three movies), so who knows?
    10 million sales is not a relevant number to which series has more fans. even if the 10 million is evenly distributed between the 4 books thats only 2.5 million readers.

Seems like Fiest of Crows sales versus NOTW sales would be the important numbers. Though it sounds like NOTW is way behind.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, aFFC sold around 350,000 HB copies in the year it was released and tNoTW around 250,000(All formats) in four years. So with conservatively guesstimating total feast sales being around 1 million based on as many pb copies of feast being sold as HB, plus new fans since, then GRRM could have atleast four times as many fans. Still like wert said rothfuss is doing great for only having one book out.

US sales only.
    Last edited by ChrisW; January 20th, 2011 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Bottom line I hope WMF sells well. I have followed Rothfuss's Blog for awhile now and he seems like a cool cat. Good sense of humor and smart as hell.

For those members who have not read the blog and are interested in his books do yourself a favor and give the blog a read. Bleeping hilarious.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/
    Your not kidding. Rothfuss's blog makes me truly laugh out loud, alone, in my office. I'd like to hit one of his signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwalker View Post
    Your not kidding. Rothfuss's blog makes me truly laugh out loud, alone, in my office. I'd like to hit one of his signings.
    Word. I used to laugh at the idea of going to a signing but Rothfuss is the one author I would make an exception for. Would be interesting to listen to him talk about the books as well as his approach to writing.
    Last edited by 3rdI; January 20th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.

Pat is a fun guy, no question! I met him a couple of times at Worldcon and had the pleasure of having dinner with him with other Daw folks. If you have a chance to meet him, do so!

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Phil, have you written a review for the book? If so linky please
    I haven't Chris, sorry. If I told you it was unbelievably awesome, would that suffice?

Anyway, only a few weeks to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Connors View Post
    I haven't Chris, sorry. If I told you it was unbelievably awesome, would that suffice?

Anyway, only a few weeks to go!
    Thanks again Phil for bringing balance to the thread. You never did explain how you got your hands on an ARC who the heck do you work for?

Is it March 1st yet?

Starred review in Publishers' Weekly just out:

As seamless and lyrical as a song from the lute-playing adventurer and arcanist Kvothe, this mesmerizing sequel to Rothfuss's 2007's debut, The Name of the Wind, is a towering work of fantasy. As Kvothe, now the unassuming keeper of the Waystone Inn, continues to share his astounding life story--a history that includes saving an influential lord from treachery, defeating a band of dangerous bandits, and surviving an encounter with a legendary Fae seductress--he also offers glimpses into his life's true pursuit: figuring out how to vanquish the mythical Chandrian, a group of seven godlike destroyers that brutally murdered his family and left him an orphan. But while Kvothe recalls the events of his past, his future is conspiring just outside the inn's doors. This breathtakingly epic story is heartrending in its intimacy and masterful in its narrative essence, and will leave fans waiting on tenterhooks for the final installment. (Mar.)

Well I guess Publishers Weekly liked it.

For those who cannot wait for March 1st, you can try your luck at winning a copy of Rothfuss' TWMF here!

Patrick

I posted my thoughts on the NOTW in the NOTW thread just recently as I only finished it this month, so luckily my timing seems to have been good to me this time and I will only have to wait a few small months for instalment 2!!!

Even though I did find the story sagged, significantly, for much of the final third, the end came to life again and the writing is so beautiful, direct and intelligent - that I could not even consider not reading the new book.

I am actually very excited and I think that may have been encouraged by the fact that the book I am reading now (the first book after NOTW) - (Brent Weeks) is decent, but the writing seems amateurish in comparison.....I am missing Rothfuss already and I thought the story was flawed.....never experienced this before!

Blog Entries
    Man, I really enjoyed TNOTW, but the publisher's price on the Kindle edition of TWMF pisses me off. I'll wait until it comes down. Maybe by then his next book will be out.

I really enjoyed TNOTW, but I'm reading so many other books, I got the audible edition for a refresher. Amazing how much stuff I had forgotten,

Spoiler:

Like the intial reveal that Bast is a ..... something and Chronicler is a minor archanist from the University

Proudly wearing my Eolian Bar shirt and counting down the days.

Really good interview with Rothfuss for any who are interested ...

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/01...-rothfuss.html

Yes, a nice interview. Guess most here already know, but he said book is 50% again longer than NOTW.