Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Cant wait to read this i just finished NOTW so its still fresh in my mind might have to find an ebook version or something going to be difficult to get a copy in Australia me thinks

bcitsndslkSKEETSKEETSKEET keatskeatskeats's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    I am all for personal insults feel free to pm me and we can discuss this further. At the moment I will refrain from any further comment. Man up.
    If only there was a way to debate wise mans fear in context to its merit as literature, which it keeps getting compared to? As a work of genius which you keep comparing it to?

I'll tell you on thing a wise man fears: a tepid and voluble author like hegel or polus or protagoras.

Supercalifragilistic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Easy there triple-Keats, no need to take the comment as far as you did, that's very borderline.
    Borderline? What would over the border sound like? Maybe, "Hey Rob B, your moderation skills are highly questionable and totally lacking in consistency." Was that over the border? I'm not sure if you are aware, but this is a fantasy book forum. Where fantasy fans can go and discuss books they love or hate. Is its "borderline" to poke fun at a fans enthusiasm. I'll go test the border on a George R R Martin thread and see how far i get. Would it be considered "borderline" to insult Werheads enthusiasm for all thing GRRM?

This comment goes for the other moderators too. Not just you Rob B

Quote Originally Posted by teahupoo
    What would over the border sound like?
    Hey you sniveling Rothfuss fanboy, can't you shut up about your love for the man already?

I'm sorry if I'm not measuring up to your exact requirements as a moderator. If you aren't happy with all the moderators, you are free to never come here again.

Supercalifragilistic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Hey you sniveling Rothfuss fanboy, can't you shut up about your love for the man already?

you are free to never come here again.
    Done. This will be my last post.

Rob B thank you for proving my point by exhibiting such unprofessionalism. I expected nothing less from someone from New Jersey. G.T.L.

Quote Originally Posted by teahupoo View Post

Rob B thank you for proving my point by exhibiting such unprofessionalism. I expected nothing less from someone from New Jersey. G.T.L.
    LEAVE ROB ALONE, etc.

Moderators in my personal view, annoy me. I mean I got repremanded for calling someone a hypocrite. But they can't do anything right. If they join in like humans they are then 'unproffessional', if they try to calm things down but dno't want to get authoriterian they are ''bad at their job,' and if they do close boards they are 'too harsh.' I wouldn't want to be one, seems too much like hard work.

I wouldn't finish a post about how unproffessional someone is by saying they are that way because they come from a certain region. You know what that makes you.

Also, @keatskeats-I-couldn't-get-the-username-I-wanted-so-I-tantrumed-at-my-keybaord-keats if you're going to mindlessly insult a good friend of mine and a person you don't know, please, at least use grammar so I know what the heck you're saying.

Now on a topic related note - anyone got the blurb or an overview? I'm sure It's been posted by now only I saw Kat asknig and I want to know too.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Think it might be time just to ease up a little bit here.

Apologies 3rdI for hijacking the thread just for a moment.

3rdi would you martyr yourself to be a strand of hair on rothfuss's beard so that you might hear the tale of the kingfisher roll off your divine lord's lips and not have to wait to read the story like other pitiable mortals?

Celebrating an author is fine but many of these posts are noisomely obsequious.
    keatskeatskeats: 3rdI is entitled to his opinion here. He clearly likes Rothfuss, and that's fine, as it would be pretty much with anyone else. If the posts annoy you, then I would suggest that you just ignore them. The Fantasy world's big enough for you not to feel the need to join in.

There are people out there who don't like Rothfuss, or indeed most other authors you or I could probably think of. That's what makes discussion interesting.

What we ask at SFFWorld is fairly simple in return, and has been for as long as I can remember. Whatever our personal views, whether we intensely love or hate a book/author/thing, we discuss things in a way that allows discussion. What that usually means is that we talk about things and we agree to disagree on occasion BUT we don't deride other members for holding their own different personal views.

Which leads me to the next point: teahupoo, yes, it's not always an exact science - if it was easy, we'd get a robot to do it - and as a result, there may be times when our decisions may seem a little arbitrary. However, the comments are usually made through concerns being made.

Staff keep it fairly simple: if posts seem a little troubling then they will point it out.

It's a moderated site: it's what you agree to when you sign up. As has been said, if you (or anyone else) don't like it, feel free to go somewhere else. Similarly, we also have the right to remove anyone we feel doesn't play by the fairly broad rules we generally follow.

And as for those rules, please feel free to have another look. They're fairly simple though: if members or staff feel that comments are a little harsh, then we will step in. And yes, that may be different to how others do it. This is how we do it.

There is a way to discuss things without muck-throwing or insults towards other members. It can be done. Unfortunately some members clearly don't get it, at least on this occasion.

Let's please return to discussing Patrick's books, or characters or thoughts on where the series is going/will go etc etc.

More of those 'other comments' will sadly lead to pulling the plug on members privileges.

Thanks again, all.

Mark
    Mark

A Fantasy Freak
    My copy of WMF just shipped, so I am very excited. I should be done with my reread of tNotW by the time the new book gets here. I think this is my most anticipated release this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    The book is 1008 pages long I believe Rothfuss said the first 300 are university related as there are still things Kvothe needs to learn and if you remember at the end of NOTW he has just started learning Naming. After that things move away from the university. So far every review has been glowing except for one which was still good. When someone like Paul Goat Allen says The Kingkiller Chronicle is the greatest work of fantasy he has read in the 20 years he has been in the business that pretty much sums it up.
    I don't dislike the University material -- in fact, I seem to have liked it more than a lot of other readers of Name of the Wind. I really like the issues with the magic having the danger of leading to madness. But I wasn't entirely thrilled with the idea of a whole other book that was all about the University part of his legend. I didn't know it was 1000 pages long. Anybody recall how many books he's planning to do in the series at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    I don't dislike the University material -- in fact, I seem to have liked it more than a lot of other readers of Name of the Wind. I really like the issues with the magic having the danger of leading to madness. But I wasn't entirely thrilled with the idea of a whole other book that was all about the University part of his legend. I didn't know it was 1000 pages long. Anybody recall how many books he's planning to do in the series at the moment?
    My understanding is Kvothe told the Chronicler that it would be a three-day tale, so...three?

I don't like the learning so much. It's interesting in it's own right and most of it is well carried off. But I feel like a student who's there, being lectured---and I have a terrible attention span. I'd never make it. It's more of a love-to-hate thing really. I can't wait for some more worldy endevers, though.

When I first read that I thought Third said 108 pages. XD;

It is going to be a trilogy. He has already started working on the final installment with a working title of The Doors of Stone. Being that the NOTW ended at the university there is still a number of things to tie up there before Kvothe makes his way out and really begins to build his legend.

Well said Mark, there is a clear difference between criticizing books and critizing people (whether that is the author, or the members that contribute here at SFF). And in that spirit, I will not post all of what I was going to, other than to say that I have respect for people with passion, and 3rdI has that in spades. To other individuals that sparked all of this to begin with, I will leave any message to them for the moderators to deliver as they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by teahupoo View Post

Stay around teahupoo. Everything got out of control but you are a good friend. Who else can I geek out with over The Wise Man's Fear?

The Wise Man's Fear is currently the 4th highest selling book on Amazon.com over the last month. I suspect Pat is going to sell a ton of books. Can't believe it is less than a week away until release.