Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Wise Man's Fear coming out, Dragon Age 2, new Skyrim trailer which looks awesome and Game of Thrones soon... I'm so happy.

TNOTW was good and all but Ill be waiting till the mmpb comes out. Doesnt seem worth the exuberant hardcover price

Quote Originally Posted by AzWingsFan View Post
    TNOTW was good and all but Ill be waiting till the mmpb comes out. Doesnt seem worth the exuberant hardcover price
    Amazon is selling the hardcover for $15.60 at the moment. I would hardly call that exuberant for a book that is over 1000 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Mans-Fear...8777772&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    Wise Man's Fear coming out, Dragon Age 2, new Skyrim trailer which looks awesome and Game of Thrones soon... I'm so happy.
    Add Portal 2 and the new Dresden book to that list and you have my looking forward to list for the year so far.

Patrick Rothfuss reading an excerpt from The Wise Man's Fear.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/02...mans-fear.html

weightless astronaut
    Heh, started reading it this morning due to a close friend working at Waterstones.... in a word AWESOME (so far).

Quote Originally Posted by jamieem View Post
    Heh, started reading it this morning due to a close friend working at Waterstones.... in a word AWESOME (so far).
    You are so lucky I expect I won't see my copy for another 3 days. Pre-ordered with expedited shipping so I don't expect to get it until Wednesday or Thursday. Almost tempted to buy a second copy tomorrow. Might actually be smart if I end up going to a signing as then I will have a signed copy that will be in perfect condition.
    Last edited by 3rdI; February 28th, 2011 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    Add the slim possibility that the new dancing book by "He who must not be Named" (at least in this thread and forum) might show up as published, and it will be a banner year!

While I finished it over a month ago, my review only just went live. In short, I really liked it - though if you didn't like The Name of the Wind, I don't think you'll like The Wise Man's Fear either. But if you did like The Name of the Wind, I think you'll like this one even more.

An excerpt from my review:

In this series, Rothfuss sets out deconstruct the standard epic fantasy hero. To do this he must embrace a number of the classic tropes involved – Kvothe is orphaned, driven to avenge his parents’ death, attractive, arrogant, gifted (at music and in some academic pursuits), an adolescent coming of age, a legendary fighter, a talented wizard, etc. The joy for me is in watching Rothfuss slowly dissect this ideal fantasy hero – a classic Gary Stu if you will. Rothfuss chooses to do so by having an older and (possibly) wiser hero relay his story to a chronicler and the reader sees this all through the first person perspective of Kvothe telling his coming of age story. Kvothe chooses what to share and how to share it while periodic interludes provide hints of the popular versions of these events as told by people at large and offer other fun and interesting perspectives. Kvothe often leaves out what would otherwise seem rather important – like the time he is on a ship attacked and sunk by pirates which he barely survives after which he spends time as a penniless beggar is glossed over in only a couple of lines, yet he spends pages mooning over the girl of his dreams. Apparently one of the more infamous events in Kvothe’s popular lore is a trial that he eventually wins – yet he barely mentions it in his retelling, much to the chronicler’s chagrin. The reader is left wondering which is more at work – the exaggeration of rumor or Kvothe’s own version of things?

The truth is that all of this would be a complete failure if not for Rothfuss’ incredible story-telling ability. The style that he writes with is intoxicating and addictive – there is energy to his story-telling that cannot be denied. Calling the book a page-turner doesn’t quite do it – this is a 1000+ page book that reads like a book less than half its size. In a time when I have very limited time for reading, I still managed to finish it in less than a week. The way Rothfuss writes makes me think he’s one of those people that you could spend all night listening to as they tell one ridiculous story after another. At the time of your listening you are having the time of your life, later in retrospect you kind of wonder what the big deal was.

Today is the day! I hope Pat sells a ridiculous amount of copies. I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Super, insanely busy, but had to stop by on such a great day. Just picked mine up from the store. My wife (an executive chef who only reads culinary mags) got into some spec-fic with TNotW and will lay claim to reading it first if I don't hide it. Problem is, I hide things and forget where that clever little hiding spot was. I'm pretty sure I've got A Feast for Crows around here somewhere.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    My understanding is Kvothe told the Chronicler that it would be a three-day tale, so...three?
    Was thinking about this today when picking up my copy of TWMF.

Sheer speculation, but intuitively speaking, I suspect the three day (book) tale ends with Kvothe (and the reader) looking at events that threaten the world as it is known. From there, Rothfuss could continue on into another series that will resolve the conflict and restore (possibly) what appears to be a Kvothe who is now a shadow of his former self. Again, sheer speculation.

Well, the king gets killed either at the end of this one or in Book 3, one would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Was thinking about this today when picking up my copy of TWMF.

Sheer speculation, but intuitively speaking, I suspect the three day (book) tale ends with Kvothe (and the reader) looking at events that threaten the world as it is known. From there, Rothfuss could continue on into another series that will resolve the conflict and restore (possibly) what appears to be a Kvothe who is now a shadow of his former self. Again, sheer speculation.
    I don't think this that big of a speculation. It's pretty clear that book 3 will end with a king's killing (and other such big events) and we'll see Kvothe fake his death and disappear. When he finishes, Kvothe will realize he has much more to do to set the world right and leave to go fix things, possibly with a big announcement to his village about his real identity. Events after that will be in a follow-up trilogy that has yet to be officially announced (I believe).

I think a lot of people will probably feel a bit cheated with such a lack of resolution, but I think it could work out very well with what Rothfuss has set out to do with this trilogy.