Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    Heh, that wasn't a dig. xD More a dig at my precious Martin by myself than anything. ;O That's why I was worried! I'd not dig at you!

...Not on the day of WMF anyway...

...Maybe.

I have no money to buy it yet. xD;
    I noticed your Martin dig I was shocked. That was a twilight zone moment lol

So far no numbers have been released but it looks like WMF is selling extremely well. It has been in the top 10 at amazon for almost a month now and I believe it is 4th at the moment. Similar ranking at B&N and Borders. I hope it sells well in the stores today so he can get on the NY Times Best Seller List. I think it sucks that they do not include pre-orders. I ordered the book back in January and it irks me to no end that my purchase won't help with the NY Times numbers.

Currently Number 3 at Amazon.com and Number 6 at barnesandnoble.com on their best sellers lists.

Good interview with Rothfuss at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075...pf_rd_i=283155

I am about a third of the way through and really enjoying it so far. I'd be done by now if sleep and work didn't demand my attention as well. As it is, Rothfuss stole about 2 hours of sleep from me last night.

I'll just echo what everyone has been saying though: if you enjoyed NotW, you'll definitely enjoy this one, maybe even more. But the characterization and plot are much the same style, so people who didn't enjoy NotW because they hated Kvothe or thought the plot moved too slow, won't enjoy this one either.

So 3rdI, you definitely won't be disappointed. So far I'm certainly not, and if it takes Rothfuss another 4 years to release a book of this quality, he can take it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Currently Number 3 at Amazon.com and Number 6 at barnesandnoble.com on their best sellers lists.

Good interview with Rothfuss at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075...pf_rd_i=283155
    Too bad the Barnes & Noble store I went to last night did not feel it was a top seller. I was there @ 8pm, with their website on my phone showing that they had it in stock..yet they still hadn't decided to put it out on the floor yet. I couldn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    Too bad the Barnes & Noble store I went to last night did not feel it was a top seller. I was there @ 8pm, with their website on my phone showing that they had it in stock..yet they still hadn't decided to put it out on the floor yet. I couldn't believe it.
    Bigger issue here in Ontario (maybe Canada in general?). The only city that seems to have copies of the book right now is Toronto, and some of the surrounding area. Outside of that, at the major retail bookstores anyways, it isn't in stock yet. I find this quite disappointing. And amazon.ca says they can't ship for 1-3 weeks. It's overall a pretty ridiculous situation, if you ask me.

Sounds like my ass-backwards ran local Books-A-Million. The employees there are truly clueless.

It's the first week. Publishing is slow. If you're in Seattle, he did a signing last night at the University Bookstore, so they'll have books. Here's his tour schedule, all those places will have books:

PORTLAND AREA
    March 2 at 7 PM
    Powell's Books at Cedar Hills Crossing
    3415 SW Cedar Hills Blvd.
    Beaverton, OR 97005
    Facebook Event
    Phone: 503-228-4651

SAN FRANCISCO, CA
    March 3 at 7 PM
    SF in SF Reading Series
    The Variety Theater
    582 Market St.
    San Francisco, CA 94104
    Facebook Event

Providing books for the event...
    Borderlands Bookstore
    866 Valencia Street
    San Francisco, CA 94110
    Phone: 415-824-8203

March 3 at Midnight
    Borderlands Cafe
    870 Valencia St. (between 19th and 20th),
    San Francisco, CA 94110
    Facebook Event
    More details about this event are available on the Tour FAQ

LOS ANGELES AREA
    March 4 at 7 PM
    Barnes & Noble
    7881 Edinger Ave.
    Huntington Beach, CA 92647
    Phone: 714-897-8781
    Facebook Event

SAN DIEGO, CA
    March 5 at 2 PM
    Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore
    San Diego, CA 92111
    Phone: 858-268-4747
    Facebook Event

HOUSTON, TX
    March 6 at 2 PM
    Murder by the Book
    2342 Bissonnet St.
    Houston, TX 77098
    Phone: 713-524-8597
    Facebook Event

MADISON, WI
    March 8 at 7 PM
    Barnes & Noble
    7433 Mineral Point Rd.
    Madison, WI 53717
    Phone: 608-827-0809
    Facebook Event

CHICAGO AREA
    March 9 at 7 PM
    Borders Books & Music
    1500 16th St.
    Oak Brook, IL 60523
    Phone: 630-574-0800
    Facebook Event

DAYTON AREA
    March 10 at 7 PM
    Books & Company
    4453 Walnut St.
    The Greene, Beavercreek, OH 45440
    Phone: 937-429-2169
    Facebook Event

LEXINGTON, KY
    March 11 at 7 PM
    Joseph-Beth Booksellers
    161 Lexington Green Circle
    Lexington, KY 40503
    Phone: 859-273-2911
    Facebook Event

SAINT LOUIS, MO
    March 12 at 7 PM
    Left Banks Books
    321 N. 10th St.
    St. Louis, MO 63101
    Phone: 314-367-6731
    Facebook Event

LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
    March 14 at 12 PM
    What If Reading Series
    Library of Congress
    101 Independence Ave. SE
    Washington, DC 20540
    Phone: 202-707-6809
    Facebook Event

WASHINGTON, DC AREA
    March 14 at 7:30 PM
    Borders Books & Music
    5871 Crossroads Center Way
    Bailey's Crossroads, VA 22041
    Phone: 703-998-0404
    Facebook Event

NEW YORK, NY
    March 15 at 7 PM
    Barnes & Noble
    267 7th Ave.
    Park Slope
    Brooklyn, NY 11215
    Phone: 718-832-9066
    Facebook Event

BOSTON, MA
    March 16 at 6 PM
    Northeastern University Bookstore
    Snell Library
    360 Huntington Ave.
    4 Ell Hall, Boston, MA 02115
    Phone: 617-373-2350
    Facebook Event

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    It's the first week. Publishing is slow. If you're in Seattle, he did a signing last night at the University Bookstore, so they'll have books. Here's his tour schedule, all those places will have books:
    I can excuse publishing being slow to ship the books out. It is harder to excuse when the store has books in hand, but do not feel any urgency to put them out on the floor.

I always figured that they had books to stores the weekend before the published date in order to have them available to customers right away. But if this is normal, so be it. I'll just say thank goodness for ebooks then.

Most stores do have them in advance of the release - but it depends on how any each store ordered and lots of other details behind the scenes of book buying. It sounds like this store was just out of touch with the fantasy world and perhaps a bit mismanaged.

Anyway, I heard that the book is already on it's 4th printing, so there could be some supply issues out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kcf View Post
    Most stores do have them in advance of the release - but it depends on how any each store ordered and lots of other details behind the scenes of book buying. It sounds like this store was just out of touch with the fantasy world and perhaps a bit mismanaged.

Anyway, I heard that the book is already on it's 4th printing, so there could be some supply issues out there as well.
    Doesn't surprise me to hear that at all. I almost wonder if DAW underestimated how many copies they were going to sell because there have been a TON of pre-order sales.

I couldn't believe it when the local bookstore in Iowa City Prairie Lights had a couple signed copies on the day it came out. I'm about a hundred pages in and had forgotten how much I love Pat's writing. Even if nothing important is happening, I'm still completely engrossed. It's a book I'm anxious to get back to. He could write a thousand pages of Kvothe painting a house and I would read it happily.

I can excuse publishing being slow to ship the books out. It is harder to excuse when the store has books in hand, but do not feel any urgency to put them out on the floor.
    Bookselling is a bloodbath at the moment. They keep laying off people and stores are understaffed. So probably they hadn't had a chance to put a lot of books on the floor yet, not just Rothfuss'. Every morning, boxes and boxes of books arrive at the store. The boxes have to be opened, unpacked, the books checked against the shipping list, then logged each one into inventory. Rothfuss may be in a special display rack, so that has to be set up. If DAW paid for Rothfuss' book to be displayed with other titles in front tables, etc., then they have to get all those books together for the table display. So if they are busy working the floor, if they are behind, then yeah, it's real easy for books not to be put out on time. It's not like an iPhone. But Rothfuss is a NYTimes bestseller, so the books will be out there soon. Amazon -- I have no idea, that could be all sorts of warehouse and shipping issues. But I'd guess it will be up and running by beginning of next week.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Yeah, I was there. I read that he also signed a bunch of books for another local bookstore Third Place Books, so they'll have autographed copies.

I think the event went pretty well. TONS of people showed up. My guess is anywhere from 500-750 people. I've been to probably a dozen or so of their author events over the years and this was easily the most people I've seen at an event there, and even more than GRRM drew in for A Feast for Crows back when that came out.

Some of the highlights:

Pat cracked a lot of jokes, and of all the authors I've met, he wins the award for funniest...though I will say the fantasy book reading crowd is a pretty easy audience to get a chuckle out of. Guess we're just a carefree bunch. Pat fielded a lot of questions, and the event definitely had a "hangin' out with Pat" feel to it despite the massive amounts of people. He also read the prologue, from Wise Man's Fear, took some more questions, read us some of his poetry, told stories, took more questions, and signed books.

He mentioned that he anticipates the third book will be out in 100 years, and added that it could come out sooner than that, but probably not for a couple years. Some other subjects his discussion touched on are buying the rights to Firefly, his extreme hatred of spoilers, child rearing, and the world of The Four Corners of Civilization, which may or may not be flat.

He also discussed how the Kingkiller Chronicles went from having all three books finished, to needing years of rewrites. Rothfuss said that when he wrote the books ten years ago, he thought they were totally awesome. However, back than he referred to himself as a "feral writer"; not part of a writing group and had little formal training. Now, with improved skills, and hindsight, he said that some parts are still awesome, and other parts need rewriting, in some cases lot of it. What impressed me was his dedication to writing the best possible book, no matter how long it took him.

I am beyond all kinds of irritated. I pre-ordered the book in January. I chose the fastest shipping option possible. Well my copy finally just shipped today which is absolute nonsense so it will be here tomorrow. The book should have shipped bright and freaking early Monday morning. At least the book is selling crazy well. Not sure what the fantasy record is for first week sales but I would love if WMF broke the record. I tend to doubt it given that for some strange reason Terry Brooks seems to sell insane amounts of copies every time he releases a Shannara book even though every Shannara book is basically the same book.