Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    I also agree that WMF seems peaked to deliver on all expectations that fans have built up over the last several years, and considering how lofty those have become, that is no small accomplishment. It does not appear that Rothfuss will fall prey to any sort of 'sophomore slump' and deliver something that all parties find to be disappointing. And I am happy for that, as it will mean a rock star type of feeling when WMF is finally released and the level of excitement in bookstores around the fantasy sections will be escalated. I am a big enough dork to feed off of that and enjoy it, even if the series isn't one of my personal favorites.
    Dorks of the world unite. Speaking of rock star level excitement can you imagine how crazy it will be at bookstores when ADWD gets released? I am not a fan but like you it will be enjoyable to see how much happiness it will bring to Martin fans.

I pre-ordered my copy of WMF which is cool but at the same time it won't be the same as running down to the bookstore and grabbing the book off the shelf. I did do express shipping though but I still won't get it until probably March 3rd. I should have my Eolian Bar T-Shirt by then. I shall revel in nerddom for about a week. Going to try to force myself to read the book slowly rather than blow through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Electronic6 View Post
    Just found NoTW very lame, apart from the writing, and everything after Kvoth entering the University felt very, but very uninteresting. Also there was no real ending, it just kinda stopped. And wasn't the biggest fan of the dragoncow. Was not feeling the overall vibe out it, after those really cool first 200 or so pages.

Though hearing that a big chunk of the novel is in the University is not good news. I was guessing that part would be solved pretty quickly at the start of the novel and Kvothe could move on into his crazy adventures, which was what it was being advertised in the back of the novel. Never it said "I spent countless days pondering the financial status of my life.", I hope future editions they put that in.
    This is exactly my thoughts and feelings on NOTW. I was enjoying the novel quite a bit up until his admittance into the University. Then, I found myself constantly disagreeing with the story that Rothfuss painted for Kvothe, including the financial issues he continuously experienced, the interactions with his classmates and the bits with the Library, his awkward romantic interactions, the overly long section with the dragon, the cliffhanger ending and the fact that absolutely none of the adventures described on the back of the novel ever came to fruition by the end.

However, the world that Rothfuss created IS interesting and his writing came across as very clean, smooth and entertaining. I do have hope I will feel different, but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Dorks of the world unite. Speaking of rock star level excitement can you imagine how crazy it will be at bookstores when ADWD gets released? I am not a fan but like you it will be enjoyable to see how much happiness it will bring to Martin fans.

I pre-ordered my copy of WMF which is cool but at the same time it won't be the same as running down to the bookstore and grabbing the book off the shelf. I did do express shipping though but I still won't get it until probably March 3rd. I should have my Eolian Bar T-Shirt by then. I shall revel in nerddom for about a week. Going to try to force myself to read the book slowly rather than blow through it.
    I dunno if ADWD, despite an even longer wait, will be bigger than WMF at this point. I may be wrong, but I think Rothfuss has surpassed Martin in terms of fans.

I will definitely be going to the bookstore a lot during the week of WMF, just to gauge the feelings. The workers at some of my local stops are huge Rothfuss fans, so I know they will be pushing it hard and talking people up. I will grab a seat somewhere close, get a coffee and read my copy while others buzz around and talk about it.

I also have to agree with taking it slowly. I have some friends that will pick up a book and blow through it in one sitting. That is just not me. The more I really enjoy a book, the slower I usually go. Hell, I still haven't finished off the First Law series because I keep putting off Last Argument of Kings. Not because I know I won't love it, but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt as much as I do the spoils, I guess. When I finally do bust it open, I will take it a few chapters at a time, move onto another activity, all while contemplating what I just read and theorizing in my head what is to come.

I dunno if ADWD, despite an even longer wait, will be bigger than WMF at this point. I may be wrong, but I think Rothfuss has surpassed Martin in terms of fans.
    Not sure if I agree about Rothfuss having more fans. Besides myself I have only met a few people here at sffworld that do not like ASOIAF. This seems like a nice cross section of fans. It is entirely possible that you are right but around here though I doubt Rothfuss would make a top five list. Seems like Martin and Jordan reign supreme at sffworld.

I also have to agree with taking it slowly. I have some friends that will pick up a book and blow through it in one sitting. That is just not me. The more I really enjoy a book, the slower I usually go. Hell, I still haven't finished off the First Law series because I keep putting off Last Argument of Kings. Not because I know I won't love it, but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt as much as I do the spoils, I guess. When I finally do bust it open, I will take it a few chapters at a time, move onto another activity, all while contemplating what I just read and theorizing in my head what is to come.
    I have a hard time going slowly with a book I really like. Typically I will go back later and take my time with re-reads when nothing new on the shelf is catching my eye. But with WMF I am forcing myself to take my time. I actually did the same to an extent with NOTW. I started off like I normally do but found myself getting so pulled into the narrative that it made me want to take my time. Good prose has that affect on me.

If ADWD comes out this year, then perhaps I guess we will see who is currently more popular.

I think we both know that it won't happen though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If ADWD comes out this year, then perhaps I guess we will see who is currently more popular.

I think we both know that it won't happen though.
    I'd be surprised if WMF sells half as well as aDWD. Sure he's popular but it takes a lot more than popular to reach GRRM and Jordan level of sales which are around half a million for HB sales upon release.

He might knock Goodkind off his perch though if the stars are aligned.
    Last edited by ChrisW; January 19th, 2011 at 12:36 AM.

Though Rothfuss' TNotW was the bestselling fantasy debut in hardcover of all time in North America, it is way, way behind the sales of Martin's AFfC.

But TWMF and ADWD will both be bestsellers. But as ChrisW pointed out, Rothfuss and GRRM are not on the same level on the totem pole...

Still, if the ball starts rolling early, I expect TWMF to sell even more than TNotW in hardcover.

Patrick

As others have said, he's nowhere close now. GRRM has sold the better part of 10 million books, Rothfuss is simply not in that league (though if I was told that TNotW had sold more than a million copies so far, I'd believe it), despite being the biggest epic fantasy debut for many years. Maybe a few years from now, if Rothfuss can increase his writing speed and catch up with GRRM. Rothfuss's first book is somewhat more approachable than AGoT and I think could win over a larger fanbase, but the likes of GRRM and Robert Jordan have huge head starts.

Of course, if the TV series is a big hit, that'll get millions more people reading the books. But then TNotW could make a good movie as well (with some condensing you could probably do the three books as three movies), so who knows?

I suppose I just have read too much into the constant backlash that many Martin fans have had for the long wait. I should probably know better that despite the many claims, the majority of them will still line up to buy ADWD when it is released.

I suppose I just have read too much into the constant backlash that many Martin fans have had for the long wait. I should probably know better that despite the many claims, the majority of them will still line up to buy ADWD when it is released.
    The majority of them have pre-ordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    But then TNotW could make a good movie as well (with some condensing you could probably do the three books as three movies), so who knows?
    That would be a lot of condensing!

But then TNotW could make a good movie as well (with some condensing you could probably do the three books as three movies), so who knows?
    Ugh please don't say that I am sick of book adaptations. I really hope The Kingkiller Chronicles never cross over into any other media be it cinema or game. It just takes something away from the series. LOTR has been done that is enough. You who are fans of Martin are getting GOT so really that should cover fantasy on film for the foreseeable future. Oh and of course The Hobbit is being done. Yeah that is more than enough. No one ever gets fantasy on film correct without a boat load of money. You need A level acting, directing, writing, and production. Anything less and you get Conan or Willow *cringes*
    Last edited by 3rdI; January 19th, 2011 at 05:16 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As others have said, he's nowhere close now. GRRM has sold the better part of 10 million books, Rothfuss is simply not in that league (though if I was told that TNotW had sold more than a million copies so far, I'd believe it), despite being the biggest epic fantasy debut for many years. Maybe a few years from now, if Rothfuss can increase his writing speed and catch up with GRRM. Rothfuss's first book is somewhat more approachable than AGoT and I think could win over a larger fanbase, but the likes of GRRM and Robert Jordan have huge head starts.
    From his blog October 2010: Iím guessing a quarter million people will read book two. In the US anyway. Last I heard, thatís about how many copies of NOTW have been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    From his blog October 2010: Iím guessing a quarter million people will read book two. In the US anyway. Last I heard, thatís about how many copies of NOTW have been sold.
    Interesting. I thought it would be more than that, but that's still impressive-going. For comparison, Erikson hit the same number of sales only after his sixth book came out in hardcover and Abercrombie after his third.

Jordan I think 'only' had 40,000 US sales of the 1st edition hardcover of TEotW, and for 1990 that was considered a phenomenal success.

Bottom line I hope WMF sells well. I have followed Rothfuss's Blog for awhile now and he seems like a cool cat. Good sense of humor and smart as hell.

For those members who have not read the blog and are interested in his books do yourself a favor and give the blog a read. Bleeping hilarious.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/