Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    I didn't think I'd get to the end of the second book in the trilogy and have to ask this question:

Spoiler:

What's the point of the Chandrian? They want to stay hidden. So they killed K's troupe because his father spoke their names too often. They smoked the wedding because the family had a vase. But what do they actually do other than protect their identity? One is leading the bandits in the woods...why? Almost no one believes in them, and that's okay because they don't seem to be doing much. As dark lords go, they seem rather lazy. Maybe it's just that the geopolitical world-building through two books is almost non-existent, and we don't get much of a sense of their machinations. So much so I can't say for sure there are any machinations.

On the other hand, it seems to me that Kvothe is "supposed" to do something terrible, or something heroic that will have terrible consequences for him personally (Denna?). Folks are trying to push him toward that fate -- and maybe that's what the Chandrian are up to? So the guy is leading the bandits around in the woods for no other reason than for Kvothe to show up and take one more step toward his unspoken doom? And Kvothe, in the present, has figured this out, and he feels the only way to avoid that is by not being Kvothe -- by being Kote instead.

It's all very interesting. Before the hero embarks on the "hero's journey," there's supposed to be a "refusal of the call." Maybe the "refusal of the call" is the resolution of Kvothe's story, rather than its beginning?

Someone up-thread mentioned Lost, and I get some of the same vibe here. I'm torn between thinking the "real story" (the epic) is cleverly buried in the subtext and thinking the joke's on me for believing there is a "real story."
    Last edited by Cameron Haley; July 8th, 2011 at 01:20 AM.

Last edited by 3rdI; July 11th, 2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Haley View Post
    I didn't think I'd get to the end of the second book in the trilogy and have to ask this question:

Spoiler:

What's the point of the Chandrian? They want to stay hidden.
    Spoiler:

IMHO most probably author just didn't thought in that direction. They are just plot device - like Dark Lord in computer game sitting and doing nothing, waiting for player to punish him for some long forgotten crimes, rob his stuff and get xp for killing. But it seems we have here the case of player never getting to Dark Lord.

I just past the chapters with where he meets the traveling "Edema Ruh". I feel like I have read this before. Was there something similar in Name of the Wind? Otherwise I feel like I have read something similar in some other book.
    (This may have been discusssed above but I did not go through all of the previous posts.)

Anyway, for me the book started slow until he left the university then picked up. Your typical traveling protagonist pretty well written. I still have a few chapters left but the book did not sit with me as well as the first.

Recently finished re-reading WMF again. A masterpiece. I can think of numerous small events within KKC that are as epic as anything I have ever read in the fantasy genre. So refreshing to read fantasy where the focus is story telling and not world building.

Blog Entries
    As someone who is on record as loving the first book and being left unsatisfied by the second book .... I agree that there wasn't much World Building in WMF, but for me the story did not seem to be furthered nearly as much as I hoped. Looking back I felt I read way too many pages about some things that just seemed to drag on and the one thing that I would have really loved to read more about (his Trial and defending himself in the trial) was simply glossed over with no information given to the reader. I would gladly have traded some of what felt like 'filler' to me in other places for some details on this more interesting part of the story.

Anyone else find themselves wanting more about the trial and perhaps less about a few other things? (I could be the Lone Ranger on this I suppose... it wouldn't be the first time. )

Disclaimer due to how easily some readers get offended over difering views of this book: The above represents only my opinion on a part of the book...not anyone elses opinion on the book. I am also not challenging anyone else's opinion on the book. Feel free to worship it or hate it at your discretion, this is just my view I am sharing. My view is no more and no less valid than anyone else's view of the book.

weightless astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by teahupoo View Post
    Done. This will be my last post.
    Love a good flounce! Flounce rule # 1: When a person makes a big announcement about leaving a forum, they really won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieem View Post
    Love a good flounce! Flounce rule # 1: When a person makes a big announcement about leaving a forum, they really won't be.
    That does seem to be how it works, doesn't it, at least judging by this place over the last few months...

I haven't read this yet, so I haven't watched this interview in case there are spoilers, but here's Jim Butcher interviewing Rothfuss which I think some might find interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6-hh2fBrY

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    I haven't read this yet, so I haven't watched this interview in case there are spoilers, but here's Jim Butcher interviewing Rothfuss which I think some might find interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6-hh2fBrY
    You beat me too it I hadn't checked Pat's blog today. Fantastic interview. Pat just gets it. Obviously my version of "it" is different than everyone else's. "IT" being a totally subjective thing of course.

Banned
    Excuse me Mr 3rdI, would you be so kind as to send me a PM. I have something to discuss with you and I can't seem to find the PM function on this forum. I assure you I am not a spambot

Last edited by 3rdI; August 6th, 2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: addressed via proper channels

Blog Entries
    Inquiring minds want to know... what did he try.... (and what are you capable of)? Threats and counterthreats on the message board... not good.

3rdI is there something the rest of us should know to protect ourselves from whatever happened?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know... what did he try.... (and what are you capable of)? Threats and counterthreats on the message board... not good.

3rdI is there something the rest of us should know to protect ourselves from whatever happened?
    Thanks!
    Already addressed. No worries. If you have any questions feel free to PM
    Last edited by 3rdI; August 6th, 2011 at 11:59 PM.