Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know... what did he try.... (and what are you capable of)? Threats and counterthreats on the message board... not good.

3rdI is there something the rest of us should know to protect ourselves from whatever happened?
    Thanks!
    Did you check out the Suvudu Rothfuss interview? About 30 minutes long and all the questions were submitted by fans. Might clear up a few questions for some of the members.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know... what did he try.... (and what are you capable of)? Threats and counterthreats on the message board... not good.

3rdI is there something the rest of us should know to protect ourselves from whatever happened?
    Thanks!
    Yes, Please share? Perhaps I was to formal?

SC Comic Can Fantasy Panel with Rothfuss, Martin, Sanderson, Anderson, Paolini, Orullian, and Taylor.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/07...c-fantasy.html

Banned
    Taylor who?

Quote Originally Posted by Search View Post
    Taylor who?
    K.J. Taylor, she's been published in the Australia for a few years and her Griffin trilogy just released here this year.

Banned
    Ah her. I've picked up her first book and read a few pages but didn't buy it. I did note that she mentions that she is a big Martin fan, so being on that panel must have been a dream for her.

Hi,
    I'm new - and I just lost a giant post I had written when I went for coffee
    I'll try to recreate it...

I just finished this book & TNOTW after a generous co-worker lended them to me.
    Not normally a fan of fantasy, I really enjoyed them both. I agree that the 2nd book seemed to move slower than the 1st. (Felurian springs to mind) But, I can still appreciate the story as a whole. I love the layout of books - stories within a story within a story. It's like peeling an onion!

Lately I've been looking for hints/clues for possible reveals in the next book (cannot wait for it to come out!)

So, I hope I'm doing this right...

Spoiler:

I think Bast may be Kvothe & Felurian's son. Ferlurian is called the "Lady of Twilight" & Bast refers to himself as the "Prince of Twilight". I'm not sure if it's just a general name for the Faen or something more?

Another hint at Kvothe's heritage - Kvothe's mom is Netalia Lackless - Meluan's sister that ran off w/ the Ruh.
    Look at the song that caused Kvothe's dad to sleep under a wagon:

"Dark Laurian, Arliden's wife,
    Has a face like a blade of a knife
    Has a voice like a prickledown burr
    But can tally a sum like a moneylender.
    My sweet Tally cannot cook.
    But she keeps a tidy ledger-book
    For all her faults I do confess
    It's worth my life
    To make my wife
    Not tally a lot less"

The last 2 lines when read quickly reads To make my wife Ne tal ia Lock less!
    Revealing her true background/name would make more sense than just not liking the rhythm of a song!
    (I can't claim to have come up with this - I found it on another forum)

So, for this reason I think that Kvothe is part of the Lackless door poem - as a male Lackless descendent:

"Seven things stand before
    The entrance to the Lackless door
    One of them a ring unworn (Meluan's wooden ring?)
    One a word that is forsworn (could be a Name?)
    One a time that must be right (I'm thinking a moonless night?)
    One a candle without light (on the vase Heliax is shown w/ a candle w/ a black flame...)
    One a son who brings the blood (Kvothe)
    One a door that holds the flood (no idea)
    One a thing tight-held in keeping" (possibly the contents of the Lackless box?)

But what does it open? A doorway to the Faen? The moon?! Something awful? No idea!

I'm curious about the relationship between the Lackless box & the chest that Kvothe has in his room. Both appear unopenable w/ multiple locks on the exterior. Possibly both are Lackless heirlooms?

There's also the relationship between the stone doors (Lackless door & the one in the Archives) - plus the greystones...?

What about Denna? Is she Chandrian? Fae? Amyr? or is her patron one of the above? (maybe Bredon or Cinder) She seems to be more than she appears. Who else would know of Yllish knots & have the ability to find him constantly? She even claimed while being drugged that her job is to watch him...
    I'm thinking that Kvothe kills her or is the cause of her death, which ultimately is the reason he becomes Kote. Or does it have to do w/ the Cthaeh?
    At the very least, we should get that story - along with the other 'checklist' items.

Who is the king he kills? I really doubt that it's Ambrose since he's pretty far down on the list. Is it the current king? Ambrose's dad? The Maer?

As for the Amyr, I think that Abenthy might be one. Acting as a Ben Kenobi figure to Kvothe if Amyr are like Jedis?
    Skarpi definitely seems to be Amyr. After telling his Chandrian story & getting arrested he claimed to have friends in high places.
    Loren would make sense as well. He discouraged Kvothe from his early searches in the Archives - plus, it would make sense that he would keep any books concerning the Amyr secret & he would have the most access to them.

I'm curious about the Chandrian as well, but there's no reason that their story will be concluded - since the MAIN story is just Kvothe telling his story to Chronicler. In the present time (of the story) they still exist. It sounds as though Kvothe had taken care of at least 1 of them since in the very beginning of the 1st book, one of the townsmen mention a new Chandrian?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread & ramble on for so long, but it's all fresh in my head! Does anyone have anymore ideas/theories they want to share?

Firstly welcome to the forums! Secondly there's actually a thread specifically for such theories Darcy, which encompasses all those you have offered up and a few more. You can find it here Kingkiller Chroniclers Speculation.

I loved NOTW....absolutely loved it.

WMF is far slower to start with and the words seem less skillfully crafted. But it comes to life and reaches that point where I couldn't put it down.....until it falls to bits with an awful few chapters that are not only so bad to read that I had to skip pages just to get through it, but also ruin the entire feel for the story and the world for me.

Everyone who has read it will know what section I am talking about.

It picks up again, but the series has been somewhat ruined for me by a blunder (yes, just my opinion) so painful that I can't see me getting too excited when the next instalment is realeased. A shame really.

I've read it and have no idea what chapters you would be talking about. I loved both books. My biggest fear is three books can't do this tale and world justice.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal atkins View Post
    I've read it and have no idea what chapters you would be talking about. I loved both books. My biggest fear is three books can't do this tale and world justice.
    Maybe it's just me then

Yeah I have no clue what you're on about lol

Quote Originally Posted by silvercue View Post
    Maybe it's just me then
    There are certain aspects that I have seen people say that they disliked or hated, so you may not be alone. That being said, I personally didn't have such a reaction to any part of the WMF.

Pretty sure I know which chapters silvercue is talking about.

Spoiler:
    The mercenary trek, Felurian, and the Adem?

I probably didn't need the spoilers but doesn't hurt. I found those parts a little tedious as well, but they didn't hurt the book much for me. I still consider it my best read of this year.

Darksbane - yup, the one in the middle

....I don't mind boring chapters, but that section truned the world and story into something I didn't really like.