Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Right on! I bought The Eolian Bar one I might get a different one as well. Which shirt is your favorite?
    I helped raise a few thousand dollars for Worldbuilders, so I have a soft spot for that shirt I like the Kingkiller design the most, but I don't really like the grey background it's on (I prefer the black of the other shirts). The Eolian is probably my favorite shirt to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by spikyc View Post
    I helped raise a few thousand dollars for Worldbuilders, so I have a soft spot for that shirt I like the Kingkiller design the most, but I don't really like the grey background it's on (I prefer the black of the other shirts). The Eolian is probably my favorite shirt to wear.
    Right on. I donated but nowhere near the amount you did. Did you end up winning anything?

Get ye to tor.com if you fancy teasing yourself with a preview chapter [personally I don't think I will, but it is very tempting.] It does not seem that one needs to register.

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    Get ye to tor.com if you fancy teasing yourself with a preview chapter [personally I don't think I will, but it is very tempting.] It does not seem that one needs to register.
    No registration required.

I read it. Didn't like it at all. Can't put my finger on it, but something felt way, way off. Maybe the dialogue was too modernized or something. I don't know.

But that's not even 5 pages out of 900-someodd, so I'm not too worried about it being indicative of the overall quality.

I am a little over half way through re-reading NOTW. I can say with absolute sincerity that I could read this book a hundred times and it would never get old. Rothfuss has this magical ability to draw the reader so deeply into the story. It flows like a beautiful piece of music. It is lyrical without being pretentious and articulate without being overindulgent. Layer upon layer the tale is wove revealing depth and complexity in every page. I am sincerely thankful that I have had the honor and the privilege to read this book. I look forward to The Wise Man's Fear with childlike impatience.

Thank you Patrick Rothfuss. This story has enriched my life in such a manner as only a truly great work of art can.

I think 3rdI likes it!

(I do too, one of my favourite Fantasy books of all time, eagerly awaiting my preordered WMF).

Right on. I donated but nowhere near the amount you did. Did you end up winning anything?
    Oh yes! I won a nice pile of things My favorite of which is an ARC of Brett's Brayan's Gold short story/novella.

I am a little over half way through re-reading NOTW. I can say with absolute sincerity that I could read this book a hundred times and it would never get old. Rothfuss has this magical ability to draw the reader so deeply into the story. It flows like a beautiful piece of music. It is lyrical without being pretentious and articulate without being overindulgent. Layer upon layer the tale is wove revealing depth and complexity in every page. I am sincerely thankful that I have had the honor and the privilege to read this book. I look forward to The Wise Man's Fear with childlike impatience.

Thank you Patrick Rothfuss. This story has enriched my life in such a manner as only a truly great work of art can.
    Well said. On a very old blog of Pat's, he posted a fan letter which summarized everything I feel for his book. I dug it up:

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007...od-is-fantsay/

The part I mean is the letter from Monica Q at the bottom of the blog. Simply beautifully said.

Thanks for the link spikyc. The letter from Monica Q. was very moving. All these great books really can add to our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by pat5150 View Post
    Though Rothfuss' TNotW was the bestselling fantasy debut in hardcover of all time in North America, it is way, way behind the sales of Martin's AFfC.

But TWMF and ADWD will both be bestsellers. But as ChrisW pointed out, Rothfuss and GRRM are not on the same level on the totem pole...

Still, if the ball starts rolling early, I expect TWMF to sell even more than TNotW in hardcover.

Patrick
    I don't think it's fair to compare NoTW sales with AFfC sales. You have to bear in mind that NoTW is the first novel of a series and the debut novel for the author. While AFfC is the fourth book in a beloved series from a very well established author and came out nine years after the first book. In other words, the "hype" and fanbase for AFfC had really been building for over nine years whereas NoTW hardly had any hype or fanbase at all when it was released.

If you want to compare GRRM the Rothfuss, I think it would be more fair to compare sales of "A Game of Thrones" to NoTW since they are both the first novels in a series.

Blog Entries
    "If you want to compare GRRM the Rothfuss, I think it would be more fair to compare sales of "A Game of Thrones" to NoTW since they are both the first novels in a series. "

And even then I think it would only be fair to compare sales for the same time period, before the release of the 2nd book in the series. Many people have purchased AGoT since the release of the second in the series and many probably since the HBO project was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    "If you want to compare GRRM the Rothfuss, I think it would be more fair to compare sales of "A Game of Thrones" to NoTW since they are both the first novels in a series. "

And even then I think it would only be fair to compare sales for the same time period, before the release of the 2nd book in the series. Many people have purchased AGoT since the release of the second in the series and many probably since the HBO project was announced.
    Agreed, you would have to compare "year for year" like the first year NoTW was released to the first year AGoT was released.

Quote Originally Posted by spikyc View Post
    Oh yes! I won a nice pile of things My favorite of which is an ARC of Brett's Brayan's Gold short story/novella.

Well said. On a very old blog of Pat's, he posted a fan letter which summarized everything I feel for his book. I dug it up:

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007...od-is-fantsay/

The part I mean is the letter from Monica Q at the bottom of the blog. Simply beautifully said.
    Thanks for the link I had not read that particular blog. To say NOTW is a special book is an understatement. A stunning work of literature would be more apt. I cannot wait for WMF. Less than two weeks to go.

Thanks for the link I had not read that particular blog. To say NOTW is a special book is an understatement. A stunning work of literature would be more apt. I cannot wait for WMF. Less than two weeks to go.
    A "stunning work of literature"? Man, when you like a book, you really like a book, don't you? That's a great thing

I wish I had a book I liked that much. Alas, I've yet to find a favorite. Though I will say the scene where Kvothe plays for his pipes is one of my favorites in any book I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva
    I disagree. GRRM's AGoT had nowhere near the pre-release hype that NotW had, less e-marketing, less chance of glowing reviews being read by the public, no people claiming it was similar to Harry Potter (think that didn't help?), no publisher coming out and saying it was the best book ever. I think there was not so much a smaller fantasy fan-base, but certainly a different one. The "new" generation of fantasy readers who grew up with Harry Potter were not reading AGoT when it was released, yet they were mature enough for NotW when it came out.

On and on.