Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

WORST sci-fi ever

Hey, they had a good idea over on the Fantasy forum... we get enough "best ever" threads. So what's the WORST sci-fi you've ever suffered through (or thrown down in complete disgust)?

As I mentioned out-of-genre on the fantasy thread, I nominate The Nano Flower by Run-on Sentences Hamilton, as well as anything by Zelazny. Blech, and yawn, respectively.

lemming

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    This may be akin to blasphemy but I couldn't finish 'Consider Phlebas' By Banks.

It was recommended by a friend and maybe I had way too high expectations. I can't criticize the writing because it was very good, I just switched off during the fat cannibal episode.

Sorry.

Starswarm~ Brian Aldiss
    Extro ~ Alfred Bester
    Usually I like both these authors but I suppose everyone has an off day.

I guess I was more dissapointed than disgusted, but I'd say KW Jeter's Blade Runner novels.......!

I tried and tried to get into Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction and was b-o-r-e-d. Didn't care about the characters or the story.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes....big fat novels, lots of different characters....

took me a while too, but felt it was worth it in the end.
    Mark

Disabled by the evil Mods Belgarion's Avatar
    Dune's prequels.

Exclamation

I'm glad you, blasphemously, mentioned Zelazny. I wanted to love LORD OF LIGHT so much but I found it dense and pretentious. But not the worst sf book ever -
    Zelazny's ROADMARKS is pretty awful.

Furthur blasphemy; Arthur C Clarke's 3001 THE FINAL ODYSSEY. I was grimacing the whole way through, it was so contrived and just stuck together.
    2001 is excellent, 2010 very good and 2061 just nice and readable - What is it about series? Do they invariably slip downhill?

Here`s an obscure candidate ; RETURN TO MARS by Captain W.E. Johns who wrote all the Biggles books. A cliche-infected and insipid piece of pseudo-sf written in the 50's when I suppose sf was fashionable for a while or something. Dreadful stuff.

Carmichael

Battlefield Earth!!
    Battlefield Earth!!
    Battlefield Earth!!
    Battlefield Earth!!

I can't believe I wasted a week and a half on that absostinkinglutely lousy waste of a perfectly good tree!!

Rumfuddle, augh... you mentioned Lord of Light. Yeah, I tried to read that. It included the sentence... read no further, ye of weak stomach...

"That's when the fit hit the Shan."

I put the book down shortly after, since I didn't really get the plot or the characters anyway. I have a co-worker who considers this light, escapist fiction, so I know some people grok the Z-man... just not me. Missing the appropriate neuron or something.

lemming

Yeah, what awful dialogues.
    I was reminded of those sects who try to come up with their own holy scriptures and frame them in authentic sounding scriptural language. I actually finished it, coz' I'm like that - have to finish things. I see it as a chance to practice speed reading or something *g* And I loved the premise. An it did have it,s moments, a certain atmosphere....but really, I think it's just badly written; graceless, difficult and artificial.
    Zelazny's supposed to be brainy, literary SF. I do not think we're stupid tho'.
    Can someone jump on this thread and defend Zelazny please. That'd be interesting.

This is a good tread because you can get a better idea whether to take advice from people in the discussion if you know what they like and what they don't like.
    Don't take my advice if you don't like Zelazny. He's my favorite author by far.
    I'm not going to defend him. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Not necesarily a good idea.
    I love Samuel R Delaney and Ursula le Guin, for examle, who were among those who began publishing around the same time as Zelazny in the 60's and are sometimes refered to as having been part of a similar trend in SF towards more 'literary' values, compared to the 'hard' science of previous generations.
    I like so many 'New Wave' era authors in general I'd generally pay attention to a Zelazny fan's recommendations. Much more attention than I'd pay to someone who only reads and raves about Star Trek novels for example.
    One of the most exciting, and indeed inexplicable, things SF is the way opinions differ so wildly.

Farnham's Freehold by RAH
    He is one of my favourites but I couldn't even finish this one and I tried three times. It put me off RAH for almost a year.
    It's funny, I started to read sf because of RAH (Puppet Masters, Sixth Column, and Have Spacesuit Will Travel).

Disabled by the evil Mods Belgarion's Avatar
    I've yet to read RAH but I have bought one book by him and it is called "Have Spacesuit will Travel".

Is it good by any chance?