Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880

    March 2011 SF Nominations

    Hi all,

    The Dune discussion seems to be moving along, and we already have selected Stranger in a Strange Land as our February book, so let's get some nominations going for a March discussion book.

    Remember:

    1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before. The list of previous discussions can be found here.

    Let's hear some nominations. I'd like to leave this up no longer than a week and then put it to a vote (assuming we have enough nominations with seconds, thirds, etc, for that) so that we can have the book selected by the beginning of February. So get those nominations in by the 23rd.
    Last edited by Erfael; January 16th, 2011 at 09:51 AM.

  2. #2
    Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    1,706
    I'm going to try and sneak a horror book in (well it straddles genre). May I nominate 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson

  3. #3
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    I have to apologize to someone who nominated that for fantasy last round. I said we'd done it in SF before, and I would have sworn we had...though it's just not there. So I guess it's completely valid.

  4. #4
    Registered User spiralguru3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    80
    I nominate '2001: A Space Odyssey'

  5. #5
    I nominate Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    76
    I will repost my nom's.

    1. The Sheep Look Up- John Brunner (This could be considered horror sci/fi)
    2. Stand On Zanzibar- John Brunner

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffy bunny View Post
    I'm going to try and sneak a horror book in (well it straddles genre). May I nominate 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson
    Excellent book. I read this twice so I must shy-away from it at this time.

  8. #8
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    Care to nominate just one of those spiral? I think someone seconded Stand on Zanzibar in the January thread, so maybe that one? We try to keep it to one nomination and a reasonable amount of seconds for each book, and certainly only one nomination per author.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    Care to nominate just one of those spiral? I think someone seconded Stand on Zanzibar in the January thread, so maybe that one? We try to keep it to one nomination and a reasonable amount of seconds for each book, and certainly only one nomination per author.
    Sure will.

    Stand On Zanzibar- John Brunner

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    loveland, ohio, USA
    Posts
    116
    Surface Detail or Matter by Iain M Banks
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller
    Revelation Space by Reynolds

    (I'm being selfish here these are the books I am debating on for my next science fiction reads.)

  11. #11
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    One nomination...just one.

    I'll make it easy on you, though.

    Canticle and Revelation have been book club books before, so only one of those is valid.

    We'll assume you're nominating Surface Detail.

  12. #12
    Registered User spiralguru3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    80
    I second Stand on Zanzibar, I've meant to read it for a while now.

    Incidentally, since I'm new to this. Is the Book Club intended to *read* the books together and then discuss, or simply begin discussing the book on the month specified. For example, if SoZ were nominated for March, would I read it in February and start discussing here on March 1st, or not start reading it until March 1st? It might seem like it doesn't matter but if I sit down to start reading on March 1st and see everybody start discussing it on the forums at the same time...well the timing's wrong isn't it?

  13. #13
    Registered User livens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralguru3d View Post
    I second Stand on Zanzibar, I've meant to read it for a while now.

    Incidentally, since I'm new to this. Is the Book Club intended to *read* the books together and then discuss, or simply begin discussing the book on the month specified. For example, if SoZ were nominated for March, would I read it in February and start discussing here on March 1st, or not start reading it until March 1st? It might seem like it doesn't matter but if I sit down to start reading on March 1st and see everybody start discussing it on the forums at the same time...well the timing's wrong isn't it?
    From what I see you are to read and discuss in the same month. But certainty you could start reading early and start discussing on March 1st.

    My problem is I'm a slow reader. I dont have time to read for hours on end, usually only 20-40 minutes a day on my breaks. I usually average a book a month, less for shorter books. Really should start reading a couple weeks early so I don't miss the bus. Im late this month, only half way through Dune. So Ill probably start Stranger in Strange Land late too...

  14. #14
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    It's personal preference. Some people like to have the book read in time to discuss on the 1st. Others like to wait until some people have already commented, read some of the comments, then start in on the book.

    I personally try to read the book before the 1st of the month, but not too far before, in order to have the book fresh in mind, but also to try to weigh in with my first post sometime in the first week.

    Other people come along years later and read and comment on the book club threads. That's why we keep them around in the Book Club forums.

  15. #15
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    One nomination...just one.

    I'll make it easy on you, though.

    Canticle and Revelation have been book club books before, so only one of those is valid.

    We'll assume you're nominating Surface Detail.
    Actually, I had gotten excited to see Surface detail on there...something I've recently read and enjoyed and which isn't 50 years old...

    Unfortunately, it's not yet available in paperback (at least in the US), so it's not valid as a nomination because of violation of rule 2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •