Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Ghost Story (The Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher

Fans of the series are heavily waiting the release of this book after what went down in the latest installment, Changes. Just read some news, and it seems like we'll have to wait a bit longer...

Publication date has been moved from April until July 26.

Anyways, good thing we at least had the short story collection in the meantime, Side Jobs.

Decided not to put a product description here since I'm sure plenty would get spoiled, though if you aren't up to date you really shouldn't be coming in here.

Hopefully the delay means that Butcher will reward us with some more awesomeness.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/201...bumped-to-july

Following an in-interview announcement by Jim at MarsCon over the weekend, we’ve updated the site to reflect the new release date for Ghost Story: July 26, 2011.

Said Jim (paraphrased): “It came down to, readers could either get a half-assed story in April, or a full-assed one in July!”

While the delay is unfortunate for folks hoping to get their hands on Harry in April, we have confidence Jim will be able to deliver a gripping tale for our Summer reading roster.
    Last edited by Bastard; January 24th, 2011 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

delay

I was actually hoping they'd move it to something more... appropriate than boring old April. Plus, that gives me more time to concentrate on yon taxes.

Friday, May 13th was the date I was imagining.

Any comments as to cause? Bickering with hoozit over the electronic version?

Then again, considering all the 'big kids' come out with books in November, I was expecting them to shift Jim's main title that direction. October 31 for Ghost Story probably would have been a perfect play, but.... that's business. I'll buy the book when it's put on sale.

Man, can you imagine how lost people could be getting in on book thirteen in this series?
    Last edited by expatrie; January 25th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

I was very disappointed with the new date.

I've got the pre-order but now it will arrive while I'm on vacation!

Will have to wait almost a week after to release to actually read it!

Blog Entries

Exclamation

typically the site has the first five chapters on a weekly release leading up to the book release, so if you have access, that may alleviate the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by expatrie View Post
    typically the site has the first five chapters on a weekly release leading up to the book release, so if you have access, that may alleviate the pain.
    Yah, but I hate being teased.

Blog Entries

Chapter one is UP!

Chapter one of Ghost Story is up on penguin.

See my blog for a direct link, should you be interested.

Ghost Story - Jim Butcher - Chapter one.

Or bypass my jabber and get the story here.

It's a little funky. I had to hit reload before the excerpt showed up on the left side of the page.

Goody goody goody.
    --Brian.
    Last edited by expatrie; March 25th, 2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: to add the links

I'm not going to torture myself by reading that, but thanks for the link. I sent it along to some friends.

Also, OMG I want this book to come out right this minute. Changes was pretty great and I am dying for the next installment. Though the shorts in Side Jobs helped

Blog Entries

other diversions

Well, there is also a short story in some book that Jim and his wife Shannon put out--I believe that's the short from Marcone's POV, but I haven't seen the book anywhere. Perhaps available for purchase online?

Quote Originally Posted by expatrie View Post
    Well, there is also a short story in some book that Jim and his wife Shannon put out--I believe that's the short from Marcone's POV, but I haven't seen the book anywhere. Perhaps available for purchase online?
    Dark and Stormy Knights anothology if not mistaken.

Blog Entries

Post Dark and Stormy Knights

Correct. I just found out this is a straight up anthology by P.N. Elrod (of about six other anthologies with a Butcher story...) Anyway, I was under the impression it was "Butcher only" with two stories. Incorrect.

I didn't know because I've never seen it in a store. I even went to Borders on the release date, which is about as optimal as you can get. No dice. Apparently there's some confusion as to it being Nights or Knights, although the cover is clear enough for me. I distinctly see a "k".

Jim's Story - "Even Hand" is the Marcone version. I'm sure it would be good material since Marcone is becoming more and more of a power in the series, in a very behind-the-scenes way. I just wonder how much the tone will change. Obviously Harry won't be there to say "Ni!" and I just don't see Hendrix or Gard making that joke. Damn shame, that. Almost guaranteed there will be no quest for a shrubbery, either.

According to the blog on jim-butcher.com, there is also a short slated to appear in July. "Curses" which will appear in Ellen Datlow's Naked City (presumed anthology). With the July 26 release, you'll have to flip a coin, but it seems like Naked City will come out first just based on how late in the month Ghost Story is slated for.

"AAAA Wizardry" is in the Evil Hat RPG based on the Dresden Files (and I have read it--at the gaming store--and it's very much in the standard vein, not a slapped together story.)

Don't know if anything has changed, but here's Chapter 1 once again:
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dre...tory-chapter-1

And here's Chapter 2:
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dre...tory-chapter-2

We're getting closer and closer to release date, can't wait.

We're also getting some bonus this time around of Butcher reading these sample chapters, plus we're getting 5 chapters this time around before release date.

Here is the schedule:

June 28th: Chapter 3
    July 5th: Chapter 4, plus the audio for 1 and 2.
    July 12th: Chapter 5, plus the audio for 3 and 4.
    July 26th: Release day!
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/201...apters-1-and-2

The link you provided does not appear to have the complete first chapter. The complete first chapter can be found here:

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pa...ory/index.html

This does require Flash to read, so computers without flash won't be able to see it.

I'll check out the second chapter later...

edited to add -- Ohhhh, I see. They've changed the chapter breaks, so chapter 2 now starts in the middle of what used to be chapter 1. So you still get all the text if you follow your links, it's just broken down differently than the link I posted.
    Last edited by Contrarius; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:44 AM.

Haven't read them yet, so I wouldn't know (will try to get to them today).

Maybe the extra chapter we're getting as a sample (since I think they only used to do 4) might be a consequence of this new chapter break. Or it might be a reward for the delay in the book. Or they just felt like giving us more.

I love the Dresden Files! These books are some of the best entertainment. I can hardly wait, I get twitchy and impatient when waiting for books.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A heads up, rather than a brag ( I hope.)

My UK copy of Ghost Story arrived today.

So it does exist!

Mark
    Mark