Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    A heads up, rather than a brag ( I hope.)

My UK copy of Ghost Story arrived today.

So it does exist!

Mark
    Well, I guess I'll just have to do with Chapter 3:
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dre...tory-chapter-3

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    A heads up, rather than a brag ( I hope.)

My UK copy of Ghost Story arrived today.

So it does exist!

Mark
    awww, mann, Mark, you're killin' me. You've got a copy already! Sheesh. I don't suppose I could order from the UK stores and get it shipped here? hmmm....

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, Wayne!

This is probably because it's a review copy. And also because it's to do with those reread reviews for Orbit too, I guess. Am just about finishing Side Jobs so this one will be soon.

Mark
    Mark

I just learnt that the excellent James Marsters will not be narrating the audiobook version of Ghost Story. Apparently there was a scheduling conflict.

This is imo a crying shame as the Dresden Files audiobooks are the best in the business and Marsters is the voice of Harry Dresden. Hopefully the new fellow will do a good job, but it is not going to be the same.

And here's Chapter 4:
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dre...tory-chapter-4

In addition, now we can see Butcher reading the first two sample chapters for those interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmz8DYVKbaM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLGiVejWWiU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clC_9P90IME

a bit of a fan girl
    Someone in the Dresden Files Anonymous thread said something about the new book and how Harry is weakened. The poster didn't seem too thrilled at this. Anyway, since this thread is dedicated to the new book, I'll post my reply here:

Good! Harry was getting a bit too powerful. The man could take on GODS. Heroes should have to struggle a bit more. Not saying he didn't struggle, but I think it's about time we saw him struggle upwards to the god-killer level again. More fun that way.

And I just seem to love torturing my favorite wizard!

My book is pre-ordered on Borders.com, with the recent news of Borders' possible death I wonder what the status of my book will be...

Bought my copy from Waterstones on Saturday - for the same price Amazon was offering it at with an expected arrival date in August - and just finished devouring it. As usual a great riproaring read, pacy and action packed, and at times acheingly sad. It certainly left me wanting more, and was perhaps a little lighter on resolution than I would have liked, but overall its well up there with my favorite Dresden books .

Waterstones appear to be matching Amazon's prices and generally releasing books a little earlier than their release date. I hope they keep it up as I prefer both the instant gratification of being able to pluck a book up and supporting a brick and mortar store.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    My book is pre-ordered on Borders.com, with the recent news of Borders' possible death I wonder what the status of my book will be...
    Just got a notification that Borders is going to ship the book, so that's good news. Hopefully it'll be the same with the rest of my pre-orders since I have quite a few.

I just finished Ghost Story...got it and finished it on the day of release.

This must be the weirdest of them all, with all sorts of major powers popping in and out.
    Spoiler:
    Mab, of course, Uriel, past powerful enemies, etc. The most surprising must have been Harry's killer. And the ironic way he failed. :P

I hope the series continues (but if this is the last book, it sure was a great culmination - actually, a few culminations in one). But I'll have to wait too long...
    Last edited by Hobbit; July 30th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.

LaserWraith, there are about 23-24 planned books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    LaserWraith, there are about 23-24 planned books.
    You just made my day. :P

Almost a year between each book, though.

generally Butcher's been pretty good, the last couple before Ghost Story have all come out in April(s) of consecutive years... this one was a bit delayed... no time for a search, but I believe he had a quote somewhere, along the lines of "I can give you a half-@SSed version in april, or a full-@SS version in July!"...

It's different but very enjoyable. If you haven't read the short stories yet, I recommend reading them before you read this book.

Yeowza, I just now finished Ghost Story. What a wild yarn!

I've read a LOT of books since my last reread of the Dresden series, and I find that my perceptions of Butcher's writing have changed. Now his writing seems over-written, over-blown, and over-wrought -- but I still enjoy it quite a bit, if that makes any sense. He manages to make things seem so alive and urgent that I really want to know what happens next, even when the plot may feel disorganized or illogical. I'll definitely have to read this one again soon...

And for any John Glover haters, I think he did a good job. Certainly not perfect, and definitely not Marsters -- but he did much better than Marsters did with Fool Moon or Storm Front, and overall I didn't see any huge flaws. I hope Marsters is back next time, but I don't think the series was ruined by Glover's visit in any way. :-)