Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Cold Days preview is out

looks like nobody has caught on to this yet, the paperback of Ghost Story has a two chapter preview of Cold Days. Let the torture begin.

--Brian.

See Aug 7 announcement.
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/

How do you like me now?
    Last edited by expatrie; September 30th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by expatrie View Post
    looks like nobody has caught on to this yet, the paperback of Ghost Story has a two chapter preview of Cold Days. Let the torture begin.
    But...but...I don't have the paperback!

Quote Originally Posted by expatrie View Post

--Brian.

See Aug 7 announcement.
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/

How do you like me now?
    Sigh, I just double checked my kindle copy and it did not come with the extra chapters. How is the preview? Maybe it's better that I don't get to read em heh.
    Last edited by nuttz96; October 4th, 2012 at 04:39 AM.

I was completely unaware of the preview, so much thanks to expatrie.

I've been buying a fair number of books at B&M B&N stores recently, (and paying full price alas) so I felt entitled to "browse" the paperback of Ghost Story. I think that this may be the first time that I've ever read any of a book in-store there, so I'm justifying it!

I really really enjoyed the preview, though I'm surprised that it's a full two chapters (maybe in actuality it didn't even turn out to be that much?). I thought that the prose and dialogue was quite well written and the tiny glimpse of the starting status quo was exactly what I was hoping for. I'm just as excited as I was before for the book, and I was already pretty darn excited. It doesn't end on a cliffhanger, if anyone's wondering.

No big-time spoilers, but here's what I remember...

Spoiler:
    Harry wakes on an incredibly fluffy bed. Apparently he's been taken care of on a day to day basis by a very beautiful young woman who serves Mab named Sarissa. We don't know how long he's been out, but he's in Arctis Tor and he hasn't been able to remember basics like his name and Sarissa''s name until now. Mab coddles him and tries to kill him once a day as he rehabilitates. He (obviously) lost all his body fat and now is very thin with the lean hard muscle that he builds up in training. He doesn't want to cut his hair (for fear of it being used against him) so it's shoulder length and he thinks his new look makes him appear a little like Thomas. After (I believe) 77 days, Mab tells him that he's ready for a big party (celebrating a birth), leaves him a silver and white tux and assigns him a very ancient and deadly assistant called a Sith Cat. Many powerful characters from Winter will be at the party, and it's possible that Summer might send some people too. And that's it.

I have to admit, knowing Cold Days was coming took a little bit of the suspense out of Ghost Story. There are moment where it seemed Butcher was completely willing and capable of snuffing Harry for good, but knowing there was another book on the way tempered that. And towards the end, I was fervently hoping Cold Days referred to "a cold day in Hell" and the new book would be Harry in Hell. Still, looking forward to the next one.

I can't help but feel that, deep down, Harry is actually relieved to be made a Winter Knight. He has been unsecured about himself for so long that pushing people away is his first instinct, but yet, his quirky charismatic ways just draw people to him regardless of what he tries.

He lost his GF's, afraid to spend time with his daughter, doesn't know what to do with Molly and Murphy, feels guilty about his best friend (Michael), Thomas keeping distance, pressure from the Councils, and is afraid of his own power. It has been one long tunnel since book one, and now finally someone has thrown a wrench into his life. I am really looking forward to Cold Days.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    I can't help but feel that, deep down, Harry is actually relieved to be made a Winter Knight. He has been unsecured about himself for so long that pushing people away is his first instinct, but yet, his quirky charismatic ways just draw people to him regardless of what he tries.

He lost his GF's, afraid to spend time with his daughter, doesn't know what to do with Molly and Murphy, feels guilty about his best friend (Michael), Thomas keeping distance, pressure from the Councils, and is afraid of his own power. It has been one long tunnel since book one, and now finally someone has thrown a wrench into his life. I am really looking forward to Cold Days.
    Agreed! The description of the book indicates his immediate intent is to stop being the Winter Knight, but I hope he learns to live with it, gains some new powers and saves Mab and his godmother from That Which Stalks Them All before he ditches them. Secretly I hope he ends up not ditching it at all, at least for a few books. I really liked when Lasciel let him understand every language, and I'm assuming he will once again understand every language (fairies don't exactly have trouble talking to people). It would be nice if he gained a few general skills like that, besides the extra butt kicking power.