Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I haven't read any of this thread in case I find out something I don't want to know. I just wanted to say that I am on chapter 11 so far and I love it. After such a wait for this book I could sit and read it in one go from start to finish but I am forcing myself to take it slowly so it lasts a bit longer!!!! Long live Harry Dresden

Blog Entries

Borders shipping

..is by camel. I'm still waiting for my book to come.

Bastard - I think most of the pre-orders you have are why Borders is closing slowly, so to speak. All these books are like, already paid for by Borders, and they're already printed (or too late to back out) on the pre-orders, from what I heard from a cashier last Saturday, they will still be getting new books in the physical stores into September. Which means most pre-orders are "probably safe."

--Brian.

(not that's on topic, but I figured I'd say something).

As to the person above who "didn't read the thread" I did and regret it. You have been warned. It isn't a plot spoiler, but someone indicated several characters that appear in the book and to me they weren't "givens". Well, Okay, one was, and I figure so was the other one, but dangit. WHERE'S MY COPY FEDEX? YOU SUCK! USPS standard shipping is faster than you and your mule cart!

Quote Originally Posted by expatrie View Post
    As to the person above who "didn't read the thread" I did and regret it. You have been warned. It isn't a plot spoiler, but someone indicated several characters that appear in the book and to me they weren't "givens". Well, Okay, one was, and I figure so was the other one, but dangit.
    I agree with expatrie. I had already read the book when I saw LaserWraith's post, so it didn't bug me; but it really would have ticked me off to read that if I were still waiting for the book.

LaserWraith, think you could spoiler-tag that?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LaserWraith, think you could spoiler-tag that?
    Covered it.

Mark
    Mark

Ag, sorry. I guess I don't have the same idea of spoilers as everyone else.

In my book, saying who did the murder is a spoiler (it ruins the mystery)...not who's in the novel.

My point was that I liked all sorts of threads coming together. Funny how all these major powers have been interested in Harry.

I really wish I could find more books like this series. Instead, I'm stuck with a series about a sci-fi guy who likes to kill people, another about a girl who can see ghosts and get dizzy all the time, and another sci-fi where a group of stranded marines are dying one by one.

I just want a series about a powerful magic guy who already knows about his powers (like Harry).

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    I really wish I could find more books like this series.
    I'm with you, LW. After reading Ghost Story I'm having a hard time settling back down to continue reading A Dance With Dragons.

One recommendation is Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, which seems to get a thumbs-up from a lot of Dresden Files fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I'm with you, LW. After reading Ghost Story I'm having a hard time settling back down to continue reading A Dance With Dragons.

One recommendation is Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, which seems to get a thumbs-up from a lot of Dresden Files fans.
    I've read Kate Daniels. Pretty good, though the unreliable magic and all the romance doesn't make it the best. :P

I have to say that I liked Changes a bit more (unlike some, I enjoy very powerful main characters), but Ghost Story was different from the rest in the series in a good way.

I finished Ghost Story and really enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
    I like the direction Butcher is taking Dresden in. I feel like he's starting to grow as a character and that this book served to give Dresden some real perspective. His lack of ability to interact with things gave him time to think that he didn't normally take. Not to mention the quite time in his grave.

On a side note, I was at his signing last night and he's a pretty cool guy in person. He said the next book Cold Days was due in June 2012 and likely to be published around this time next year. Not sure if that news is out there somewhere on the forums but thought I would share.

He also shared with us the first line of the next book. Here it is if anyone is interested.

Spoiler:
    Mab has an interesting concept of physical therapy.

At least that's really close to it. There were like 400 people there and he was kind of hard to hear. That's the gist of it though.

I'm almost done with this book, but I'm still not sure of what to think about it. Jim largely gets a pass from me, as I love his Dresden world, so I'm not disappointed, or anything, at this point. I'm just not bowled over. That could change, either direction.

I think because I'm wearing my editor's hat that I'm having a hard time catching the rhythm of the story. Jim starts about every 5th sentence with the word "and." It's annoying and it stands out. I'm going to have to go back and see if he's always done this and I just haven't noticed, or if he just didn't have time for a solid edit before this went to print.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marquitz View Post
    I'm almost done with this book, but I'm still not sure of what to think about it. Jim largely gets a pass from me, as I love his Dresden world, so I'm not disappointed, or anything, at this point. I'm just not bowled over. That could change, either direction.

I think because I'm wearing my editor's hat that I'm having a hard time catching the rhythm of the story. Jim starts about every 5th sentence with the word "and." It's annoying and it stands out. I'm going to have to go back and see if he's always done this and I just haven't noticed, or if he just didn't have time for a solid edit before this went to print.
    Sometimes I find that being too picky about smaller things, even if I can't help it, messes up an otherwise good story. Of course, maybe you are trained to look for such things (or can't help it).

Seems like this is going to be the story with Ghost Story, not an unanimous acceptance by fans, a book that could go either way.

If I were you I wouldn't go back looking for flaws in books you have already enjoyed. Ignorance seems to be the winner in this situation.
    Last edited by Bastard; August 2nd, 2011 at 08:45 PM.

I love Dresden to death, but Butcher has one bad habit that sometimes drives me bonkers. Specifically, he describes people as arching their eyebrows or rolling their shoulders about every second paragraph. In one Alera book, he had eyebrows arching **45 times** within 9 pages!!

The main problem I had with Butcher was the phrase "Hell's bells" repeated often in the first books. I think he mostly solved that.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    Sometimes I find that being too picky about smaller things, even if I can't help it, messes up an otherwise good story. Of course, maybe you are trained to look for such things (or can't help it).
    Oh definitely. My problem is that I've always been able to ignore Jim's flaws and just enjoy the story. I just don't seem able to do that with this one, and it's frustrating. I'm sure it's just me, but it doesn't bode well for the book if I can't submerse myself into the story.

Anyway, just one opinion amongst the millions. Jim is still a great storyteller, and even if the book isn't the greatest he's written, I'm not going to stop supporting him. I'll probably read it again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Seems like this is going to be the story with Ghost Story, not an unanimous acceptance by fans, a book that could go either way.

If I were you I would go back looking for flaws in books you have already enjoyed. Ignorance seems to be the winner in this situation.
    Yeah, I'm not sure how this one will rate. I certainly don't hate it. I love being back in Harry's world, but it's just a constant that's nagging at me and pulling me out of the story into edit mode.

I'm going to take your advice and not look back.