Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    @DennisC: Have you ever read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? That wasn't bad. Simon R. Green also has some series similar to the Dresden Files, as does Kevin Hearne.
    Nope. So much to read, so many choices, and I used to have a commute that was 2.5 hours round trip to work each day.

I get to work via VPN now so no more long trips and I have been able to read a lot more.

I also have 4 kids + a wife so that eats up a lot of reading time too. Lately though I have been knocking books out reading some of the things I have meant to read for ages.

I am about to read Mercedes Lackey's Foundation. I am in the mood for some fantasy works next. =)

Probably will do Lord of the Rings after that one... then well.. you guys know how it is. So much to read. I miss school days when I had an entire summer to read to my heart's content.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
    Nope. So much to read, so many choices, and I used to have a commute that was 2.5 hours round trip to work each day.

I get to work via VPN now so no more long trips and I have been able to read a lot more.

I also have 4 kids + a wife so that eats up a lot of reading time too. Lately though I have been knocking books out reading some of the things I have meant to read for ages.

I am about to read Mercedes Lackey's Foundation. I am in the mood for some fantasy works next. =)

Probably will do Lord of the Rings after that one... then well.. you guys know how it is. So much to read. I miss school days when I had an entire summer to read to my heart's content.

I'm afraid I don't fully understand, since I'm still in the "school days" with extra time. I'm sure the busyness will arrive soon enough, so I'm cramming.

I'm afraid I don't fully understand, since I'm still in the "school days" with extra time. I'm sure the busyness will arrive soon enough, so I'm cramming.
    Being single and working is nothing. Easy easy easy. You get home at 6:15 and assuming an 8 hour sleep need you can go until 10:00 PM, get up at 6:30, and in 15 minutes be ready for work and on the road. Thats 3 hours and 45 minutes of YOU time on a work day. And you can get lots more if you tank up on caffeine in the morning before work and at home late at night.

Ah, but if you find the right woman... oh, the waters of marriage are soooo warm. =) And oh does it ever get better with time. The 1st few years of marriage are no where near the best.

Anyone hear of anything new coming soon for the Dresden Files? Is Butcher working on a new one or is he moving on to other things?

The next one is called Cold Days. I forget the publication date --I think maybe this fall? In the meantime, there's a coupla short stories coming out. I think one was published earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    The next one is called Cold Days. I forget the publication date --I think maybe this fall? In the meantime, there's a coupla short stories coming out. I think one was published earlier this month.
    I thought the last known date was in October, but it should be before 2013.

Jim Butcher also has an interesting short story in Blood Lite III: Aftertaste. His is the best, most of the others are weird. Lol.

There is a Bigfoot Trilogy, that are essentially stand-alone short stories. But if they were chronologically ordered then the last two parts have already been released, with the first coming in August:

#2 "I Was A Teenage Bigfoot", published in Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste (May 29, 2012, ISBN 978-1451636246)

#3 "Bigfoot on Campus", published in Hex Appeal (June 5, 2012, ISBN 978-0312590727)

#1 "B is for Bigfoot", published in Under My Hat: Tales From the Cauldron (August 28, 2012, ISBN 978-0375868306)

There is also a longer short story that has been announced, that will focus on a female character (very likely Molly) that will be included in the "Dangerous Women" Anthology edited by GRRM and Gardner Dozois. This book will include the next Dunk & Egg short story also. To the best of my knowledge this project does not yet have a release date.

"Cold Days" is due to the publisher by July 1st. If he makes that deadline, they seem to be hoping for a Fall release date. An often updated thread on the subject can be found at the Jim Butcher Forum here:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...c,31273.0.html

Sometimes I can't help but wish that Jim Butcher didn't spend time writing various short stories, and just focus on the Dresden Files. At least he has a somewhat steady yearly release rate.

Sometimes I can't help but wish that Jim Butcher didn't spend time writing various short stories, and just focus on the Dresden Files. At least he has a somewhat steady yearly release rate.
    He might need to write those short stories though. I imagine a writer might get burnt out writing a series for so long. Especially if they didn't write anything else along the way. I get that way with single books, let alone 20 book series's.

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    He might need to write those short stories though. I imagine a writer might get burnt out writing a series for so long. Especially if they didn't write anything else along the way. I get that way with single books, let alone 20 book series's.
    Yes, I know my wish is unrealistic. I get burnt out just writing an essay.

Thanks for the info on the next Dresden. I like Butcher's Dresden shorts as well, but not sure if I'll look into the other stuff.

Blog Entries

Dresden files

Wayne - No worries about Jim quitting on Harry.

He will be working on the Dresden files for quite a while still, while he might develop a second series (like The Alera Codex books) it didn't affect the yearly (roughly) schedule for Dresden.

Dresden is planned to be 20 to 23 books, including the apocalyptic capper trilogy, and Ghost Story is lucky #13. Some of them have titles if you want to try Wikipedia (Stars and Stones, etc.), but there will be at least 20 so seven more years of Harry & friends.

--Brian.

As much as I enjoy Harry Dresdent books (I am up to Changes), I wish that he would return to secondary world fantasy. Codex Alera was incredible.

Although both series are well written, they are so different that I have a hard time believing they were written by the same author.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    As much as I enjoy Harry Dresdent books (I am up to Changes), I wish that he would return to secondary world fantasy. Codex Alera was incredible.

Although both series are well written, they are so different that I have a hard time believing they were written by the same author.
    While I loved Codex Alera, I love Dresden so much more. I wouldn't be upset if Butcher continued writing in the Codex Alera world or another, though, unless it made the wait time between Dresden books much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by expatrie View Post
    Wayne - No worries about Jim quitting on Harry.

He will be working on the Dresden files for quite a while still, while he might develop a second series (like The Alera Codex books) it didn't affect the yearly (roughly) schedule for Dresden.

Dresden is planned to be 20 to 23 books, including the apocalyptic capper trilogy, and Ghost Story is lucky #13. Some of them have titles if you want to try Wikipedia (Stars and Stones, etc.), but there will be at least 20 so seven more years of Harry & friends.

--Brian.
    Too cool. Thanks. Very good to know. Holy cow, though. 20-23 books, that's a lot of one character.