Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Batson View Post
    Too cool. Thanks. Very good to know. Holy cow, though. 20-23 books, that's a lot of one character.
    I'll take all I can get. :P

Things are moving too fast! Harry is becoming way too powerful too. It is kind of killing the charm from the first few books.

I can't believe it is going to run to 20-23 books. I thought that the ending was coming soon ever since the Black Council incident in Turn Coat, and all the late events with the fae courts. It just felt like all the cards have been dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    Things are moving too fast! Harry is becoming way too powerful too. It is kind of killing the charm from the first few books.
    No no no! I love when he gets more powerful. It makes sense, and I don't know why you dislike it. He is still often outclassed, but it changes the series a bit. And I love it so much better than at the beginning, partly because I dislike not-powerful characters.

I wouldn't much enjoy a book where the main character is basically god and does whatever without much trouble, but that isn't Dresden. It just feels like his struggles are more epic with each book. (And if I haven't said it already, I love it.)

I can't believe it is going to run to 20-23 books. I thought that the ending was coming soon ever since the Black Council incident in Turn Coat, and all the late events with the fae courts. It just felt like all the cards have been dealt.
    I hate when a series ends, so I'm excited about it continuing. And I think you are mistaking the preparations for a major change as the series ending - it is just getting ready for a new phase in Harry's life.

I don't think the cards have been dealt as much as lose ends wrapped up in readiness for a big change. Once you finish Changes and the next one, you'll see (if you aren't like me and enjoy reading ahead on Wikipedia...ahem). I'm very interested in the changes I anticipate. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    No no no! I love when he gets more powerful. It makes sense, and I don't know why you dislike it. He is still often outclassed, but it changes the series a bit. And I love it so much better than at the beginning, partly because I dislike not-powerful characters.
    I liked it more when Harry had to solve problems using his wits, now he just seem to rely more on brute force to strong arm everyone into his service.

I don't think the cards have been dealt as much as lose ends wrapped up in readiness for a big change. Once you finish Changes and the next one, you'll see (if you aren't like me and enjoy reading ahead on Wikipedia...ahem). I'm very interested in the changes I anticipate. Can't wait.
    Well... The White Council structure is pretty much fully explored. We were introduced to all the vampire courts in great details. We know everything about Harry from his old love life to his dark past. The queens of the fae are also known to us. The church and the fallen angels are all revealed. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the series very much, but it did lose some of its mysticism.

Hmm, I don't get the feel that Harry now strong arms people, but maybe he does and I didn't notice. I know in Changes he was pretty desperate, so sometimes desperate measures occur.

And...I doubt the books will lose all their mystery, but it makes sense that a lot is revealed over time.

Hmm, I don't get the feel that Harry now strong arms people, but maybe he does and I didn't notice. I know in Changes he was pretty desperate, so sometimes desperate measures occur.

And...I doubt the books will lose all their mystery, but it makes sense that a lot is revealed over time.
    I think that a good example is his current relationship with Marcone. Harry used to be wary and all political with Marcone, but in the latter books, he just waltz right in and start demanding answers.

Same for the Fae courts and the White Council. It is getting apparent that the stronger Harry becomes, the more he is changing and the more he is pushing everyone else away. Although, I am pretty sure a lot of it has to be from the result of Lasciel's encroachment. Even though he is supposedly heal, I don't think Harry will ever be the same again.

I am still immensely enjoying the series, but one can't help but notice that the series is slowly moving away from a satirical theme to a much more serious one.
    Last edited by nuttz96; July 11th, 2012 at 04:34 PM.

From what I've seen in the Q&A's from Jim's Forum, I think that the series probably will make it to 25 (or even 26-27) books and that's not counting the short story collection Side Jobs (plus we've been told that there'll be at least one more after it) and any other stories like the Welcome to the Jungle original graphic novel.

On one I had I definitely miss the days when Harry was less powerful, but from the sound of things he's going to need to continue to get more powerful in order to face the threats that Jim Butcher has planned for him. And there are some terrific sounding plans to come imo. As well as hidden hints and clues and unsolved mysteries wrapped in the books that we've already gotten.

Well... The White Council structure is pretty much fully explored.
    True. But there still could be secrets in there, and we don't know if it's going to avoid collapse. Plus, we know little of the Grey or Black Councils.

We were introduced to all the vampire courts in great details.
    We still know nothing of the Jade Court or the other 2-3 minor vampire courts that we've been told that exist.

Of the three that we have seen a lot of, we don't actually know that much about what the Black Court is up to, including Mavra who has the Word of Kemmler. If/when the Reds come back then they be organized very differently. And there's a question of whether or not Lara can keep the White Court together, especially if her secret were to come out.

We know everything about Harry from his old love life to his dark past.
    There are still some questions there. And room for more revelations imo. We only just found out about his relationship to Ebenezar McCoy in Changes, for example.

The queens of the fae are also known to us.
    Except Titania, who has never ever ever shown up "onscreen". And there's still plenty of room for others of them to have secrets (especially the Mothers imo).

The church and the fallen angels are all revealed.
    There are still other Fallen that we haven't met, and the church could have other secret organizations within itself. But I think that you're right that we've seen much of the status quo and familiarized ourselves with a lot (but not all) of the main characters and institutions and more of the plot of the upcoming books will depend on how all of these recent events and changes play themselves out. Both in this area and in some of the others. I've really liked learning about a lot of these mysteries too, but I also feel confident that Butcher has some a good plan for the future.

I think that a good example is his current relationship with Marcone. Harry used to be wary and all political with Marcone, but in the latter books, he just waltz right in and start demanding answers.
    Well, iirc, he blew the doors off Marcone's club in the first book and demanded answers, although that did have some consequences. Also, I think there are examples of Harry showing a lot of restraint as he gains power. For example, when that young private detective was tailing him in a recent book, Harry went out of his way to counter him, but not physically. Then gave him some good advice and even hired him for future work. Also, in Ghost Story, he doesn't mindlessly crush the gang of boys; he follows them, figures out what's going on and helps them in a quiet kind way.

I think Butcher has been aware that Harry's power has gotten to where he is one of the strongest beings on the planet, and is trying to temper it with the wisdom of experience which causes Harry to act less impulsively than he would have in his earlier years. If he had Harry act as impulsively as he was in Storm Front and Fool Moon, Harry would just be slaughtering people left and right. For example, he takes a potion in Fool Moon and briefly has enough energy to slap down the Streetwolves, but then collapses and is taken captive. At his current power, Harry could have done everything he did to the Streetwolves (and more) without the potion and without breaking a sweat. The difference is I think he wouldn't have reacted the same way to the Streetwolves because he would be looking more at the big picture.
    Last edited by phil_geo; July 13th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

According to Jim Butcher's twitter feed, Cold Days is done. He finished it yesterday. His website clarifies that the final chapter's been sent to his beta readers, so perhaps some changes will still be required, but who knows, perhaps a release late this year might still be possible. Great news!

And I hope the audiobook will be narrated by James Marsters.

Marsters is already confirmed for the Audio book and it sounds like there's a good chance it'll be out this year:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...c,31273.0.html

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    According to Jim Butcher's twitter feed, Cold Days is done. He finished it yesterday. His website clarifies that the final chapter's been sent to his beta readers, so perhaps some changes will still be required, but who knows, perhaps a release late this year might still be possible. Great news!
    I posted this in Dresden Files Anon, but copying it here as well:

Cold Days release date announced: http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/201...mber-27th-2012

As the URL indicates, it is Nov. 27th, 2012.

Great news. But I want this NOW!!!!!

Then again, I want all books NOW!!!

Blog Entries

Cold Days Preview

Generally previews of the first few chapters are up starting a month before publication or so, one a week, so I just moved up the expected date you can start reading by a month, am I not awesome?

--Brian

Short story to be released 8/28/12. So that's only six days out. I am magic!

Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
    Last edited by expatrie; August 22nd, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron