Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recommend me my first Sci Fi book please.

I generally like fantasy, but a few books have a sci fi element to it and I've enjoyed it. What are same books that every beginning sci if reader should read?

What sort of stuff interests you? Space battles, or cloning,, or AI, or alien invasion, or dystopian future, or utopian future? There are lots of ways to go about the business of science fiction, and there's a book for every taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    What sort of stuff interests you? Space battles, or cloning,, or AI, or alien invasion, or dystopian future, or utopian future? There are lots of ways to go about the business of science fiction, and there's a book for every taste.
    I like dystopian and utopian books a lot. I've read a few of those and loved them. Space battles are just not my thing. Do not enjoy them. AI sounds cool. Cloning is fine as long as there's not too much cheese. Alien invasion I would like a lot. I really like dark and gritty books. Graphic, violent, etc.

Richard Morgan's SF books - the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies), Market Forces and Black Man - spring to mind (I couldn't get into Market Forces but enjoyed the rest). They definitely check the "violence" and "dystopia" boxes. If you read fantasy then you may have come across him already.

I was going to suggest fantasy/SF crossover series such as McCaffrey's Pern saga or Silverberg's Majipoor Cycle, but they're not all what I'd describe as gritty or violent. Not sure if I can come up with any that fit that description but there's probably some out there, the line between books normally classified as either fantasy or SF gets kind of blurry.

It doesn't have to be violent or gritty, I just prefer that kind. This Perfect Day barely had any violence and I thought it was a good book. I've heard of Richard Morgan before but never have his books a chance. I'll have to look into them now for sure.

The Far-Seer Trilogy by Robert J. Sawyer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-Seer

There is more to this trilogy than just a story. It recapitulates three major ideas of Western intellectual thought. The first book incorporates a Galileo/Newton character, the second a Darwin and the third a Sigmund Freud with various other scientific trivia mixed in.

This is the kind of story that shows the difference between SCIENCE fiction and Fantasy.

psik

Go with, let's say, no technology or advanced science, with no people living in a future society with elements different from our own. If I were to propose your first horror novel I would not suggest anything supernatural, but a story known to impart dread without any genre-specific elements that sometimes require a background to appreciate.

In that optic I propose a book by a Black, American woman: Octavia E. Butler's Lilith's Brood (this is the edition I own; it also comes in e-format). Any advanced technology is alien and alive and thus glossed over. Focus is on the aliens, humans, and interactions in-between. The protagonist and all other humans are from our time. It is a cultural SF novel; no space battles, cloning, ultra-violence.

It is an highly rated work, maybe the author's best.

From Amazon:
    Lilith's Brood is a profoundly evocative, sensual -- and disturbing -- epic of human transformation.

Lilith Iyapo is in the Andes, mourning the death of her family, when war destroys Earth. Centuries later, she is resurrected -- by miraculously powerful unearthly beings, the Oankali. Driven by an irresistible need to heal others, the Oankali are rescuing our dying planet by merging genetically with mankind. But Lilith and all humanity must now share the world with uncanny, unimaginably alien creatures: their own children. This is their story...
    Last edited by Pennarin; April 13th, 2014 at 09:37 PM.

If you like gritty, graphic alien invasion stories have a look at Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton. (one big novel in two volumes) A personal favorite of mine with one of the best alien/antagonists ever.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ra_s_Star?ac=1

For a less graphic, but hands down the best alien invasion story ever written (IMHO) try and find The Visitors by Clifford D. Simak.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Visitors?ac=1

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Imrannan View Post
    I generally like fantasy, but a few books have a sci fi element to it and I've enjoyed it. What are same books that every beginning sci if reader should read?
    I would suggest that you get started on Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" (trilogy in the beginning turning into a series of six titles). It may be thought of as "hard SciFi" but there is very little hard science or technologies and almost entirely socio/psychological futurism. Very good and for every SciFi a fan must read. You can get the trilogy in any public library in America and probably other countries as well.

Another that is now a real classic is Earth Abides by George R Steward, again not really hard SciFi since there is virtually no science in it. It's a story about the worldwide end of civilization - an incident of a plague in about 1949 - and is an excellent study of human nature which seems to be to be very true to life. It has not received enough notice and definitely deserves classic status.

I read this back in the seventies and just read it again for the second time. I passed it to my wife to read and asked her opinion when she finished. She said it was "just excellent." She reads about a book a day and has excellent taste. I pass a few of my SF books to her when I think they are good enough.

You can still buy a used version on Amazon for a couple of dollars plus shipping.

For a futuristic book, try Robert Heinlein's, I Will Fear No Evil. Quite prophetic.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    For starting out, let's go for a youngish protag. You can guarantee that the story line is hopping that way, not going to bore you with science or shoot em up bullshit. Character-driven stuff.

Feed - MT Anderson, and Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson, are exceptional. Jennifer Government - Max Barry, also good.

If you'd prefer something a bit fantasy steampunkish, nice and close to your fantasy roots, Iron Dragon's Daughter - Michael Swanwick, is amazing.

Younger still, The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness, The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E Pearson, Uglies - Scott Westerfeld, Across the Universe - Beth Revis, Divergent - Veronica Roth.

It doesn't have to be violent or gritty, I just prefer that kind. This Perfect Day barely had any violence and I thought it was a good book. I've heard of Richard Morgan before but never have his books a chance. I'll have to look into them now for sure.
    Sounds like the The Night's Dawn Saga by Peter Hamilton would be a perfect fit for you (starts with The Reality Dysfunction - depending on your version it can be one huge book or 2 separate books - Emergence and Expansion)

You should definitely read Dune, some of Asimov's Robot stories, and some Clarke, I would recommend The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, there are a number of excellent novels as well, like The Songs of Distant Earth, The Fountains of Paradise, Rendezvous with Rama and 2001.
    Heinlein has already been mentioned already, I can wholeheartedly recommend a good number of his books and short stories, just stay away from his later work although out of it both Friday and Job: A comedy of justice are pretty entertaining.

If you want something like A Song of Ice and Fire recycled in space you could try the Dread Empire's Fall trilogy, there you can find gratuitous amounts of backstabbing and characters with gray and black morality as well as a decent amount of space battles.

Do you want to jump into the deep end of the pool or wade from the shallow end to the deep end while possibly stopping somewhere along the way? LOL

psik

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    Do you want to jump into the deep end of the pool or wade from the shallow end to the deep end while possibly stopping somewhere along the way? LOL

psik
    What do you consider a deep wave psik, nuWave or hard sf?

Also it would be good for us t know more about your current tastes, please give us a list of your favourite fantasy books.