Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stephen Kings The Dark Tower

Newbie here.
    My question is there a map(maps)?

I know they go through all kinds of dimensions and what not but I have looked for a some kind of map and can't find one.

On book 5, and obviously don't want spoilers, but I would like some visual reference for their journey, though I could go without it.

Thanks

Yes, sort of, but really? No.

The world cannot truly be mapped, as often mentioned in the books I believe there's an attempt at one in The Dark Tower: A Concordance (A book written by someone to explain things about TDT - I believe even King used it).

Yea I do realize it would be kind of hard to make a true map, but just some visual reference is what I meant. But thanks.
    Last edited by Meep; January 29th, 2011 at 09:35 AM.

Wowzers! Just finished book 7- the dark tower, and I couldn't be more disappointed. Frankly I wished I had stopped at book 4 because that's the apex, the rest -embarrassingly poor, mostly dumb really with a few - very few - good parts. Frankly I'm pissed about the ending, pissed about the metafiction BS, pissed I wasted so much time on a series King obviously quit on. My advice is quit while you're ahead and read something good. Abercrombie, Scott lynch or Peter Brett.

Quote Originally Posted by bewitt View Post
    Wowzers! Just finished book 7- the dark tower, and I couldn't be more disappointed. Frankly I wished I had stopped at book 4 because that's the apex, the rest -embarrassingly poor, mostly dumb really with a few - very few - good parts. Frankly I'm pissed about the ending, pissed about the metafiction BS, pissed I wasted so much time on a series King obviously quit on. My advice is quit while you're ahead and read something good. Abercrombie, Scott lynch or Peter Brett.
    Hehe, I read about a book a week so I doubt I could be too disappointed.

Just goes to show different tastes...it's one of my favorite endings ever.

I, too, loved the ending.

Alright the way it actually ends is kind of a cool, but it resolves nothing, its more the rush at the end that erked me. Like he realized he only had 10 sheets of paper left so hurry and wrap it up. What disappointed me is that the concepts presented in mid-world and the beam were so awesome and that setting had so much untapped potential, but it felt squandered. King kept going back to the New York vibe to validate his need for pop culture reference and song lyrics.

I feel kinda the same way about The Name of the Wind, it started feeling like author masturbation (I shouldn't have read Rothfuss's bio before his novel). I guess king paid his dues and can do what he wants, I just wish he would have had a plan for the dark tower
    series. To me it feels made up as he went along.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through book 5, Wolves of the Calla, and have put it down to read something else more inspiring and interesting. I'm just finding it too long-winded with not much happening, and I'm not even caring about the characters any more.

Maybe I'll come back to it but there's a good chance Book 4 is where I stop, which is a shame because I've liked the story so far.

Another vote for loved the ending. It was not a tied with a bow kind of ending. It actually kind of blew my mind.

www.Ritualofthestones.com
    I loved the ending as well.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but I get so bored of the "should have finished at book 4 comments." The comment just seems to be a popular thing to say a long the lines of Lucas ruined star wars with the new trilogy.

Book 5 was maybe my favourite of the books. I agree book 6 is the weakest and 7 has it's problems but no more than the earlier books. I definitely did not feel the series declined to such an alarming extant as many make out. I enjoyed the series as a whole.

I'm usually pretty picky about this kind of stuff, but I loved the way King ended the series. It was unique and it was probably very hard to come up with any kind of ending that would make the masses happy.

The comics and graphic novels Marvel is publishing based on the Dark Tower includes a great deal of background information on the world written by Robyn Furth the personal research assistant to Stephen King and the author of Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Complete Concordance, which was published by Scribner on December 5, 2006. It is a compilation of her two previous encyclopedic books dealing with King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower: A Concordance, volume I - which explores the first four books in King's series - and A Concordance II, which gives the reader definitions and explanations of pivotal terms used over the course of the final three books of The Dark Tower.

Alright the way it actually ends is kind of a cool, but it resolves nothing, its more the rush at the end that erked me. Like he realized he only had 10 sheets of paper left so hurry and wrap it up. What disappointed me is that the concepts presented in mid-world and the beam were so awesome and that setting had so much untapped potential, but it felt squandered. King kept going back to the New York vibe to validate his need for pop culture reference and song lyrics.

I feel kinda the same way about The Name of the Wind, it started feeling like author masturbation (I shouldn't have read Rothfuss's bio before his novel). I guess king paid his dues and can do what he wants, I just wish he would have had a plan for the dark tower
    series. To me it feels made up as he went along.
    That's how he writes all of his books, or at least, that's how he's written all of his good ones; so the man says. Apparently the only book he planned that he ended up liking was The Dead Zone.

To each his own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That's how he writes all of his books, or at least, that's how he's written all of his good ones; so the man says. Apparently the only book he planned that he ended up liking was The Dead Zone.
    I buy that. To be honest this is the only King I've read, but i shredded through the Tower like i was on a mission. After the revelations at the end of the gunslinger, i figured the ending would be as profound and sciency logical as that bit of palaver. Oh, well, maybe im just getting spoiled by more modern writers that like to kick your face open with awesome endings.

The only other King I attempted was Cell, and it turned into never ending Tylenol P.M. to me.