Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    That is exciting to hear. I really hope you enjoy the books Rob, and I'm curious to see what changes have been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I was at BookExpo America on Tuesday (THE major book publishing conference in the US) and stopped by the Orbit booth. The folks there have terrific things to say about Mr. & Mrs. Sullivan and the books. I walked out with Theft of Swords, the first omnibus containing the first two novels in the series. I'll post back when I read/review it (which probably won't be for a bit, the to read pile is growing).
    Very excited to hear that Rob - I can't wait to see the first review of the new version. The omnibus has a brand new Chapter 1 to the first Book The Crown Conspiracy (never before seen) so you have something that few have acess to at this time.

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Better Late Than Never

I appear to be a little late to this party. Sorry about that, but it looks like Robin has done a fine job.

Now that I have managed to register and remember my logon, I'll have to keep a better eye on this forum.

In case anyone is wondering, I am doing the final proofing on Heir of Novron, the last in the Riyria series. I expect to be done this week. Aside from promotion, this will conclude my work on the series.

Thanks to all who posted in support of me, and I hope you like how the series wraps up.

Michael J. Sullivan - Author of the Riyria Revelations

Hi Michael, welcome to SFFWorld!

I'm looking forward to diving into the Orbit omnibus I snagged at BEA. October is coming quickly for that book, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    I appear to be a little late to this party. Sorry about that, but it looks like Robin has done a fine job.

Now that I have managed to register and remember my logon, I'll have to keep a better eye on this forum.

In case anyone is wondering, I am doing the final proofing on Heir of Novron, the last in the Riyria series. I expect to be done this week. Aside from promotion, this will conclude my work on the series.

Thanks to all who posted in support of me, and I hope you like how the series wraps up.

Michael J. Sullivan - Author of the Riyria Revelations
    Big fan over here! I made the mistake of reading Riyria revelation early this year thinking it was complete, and since then I have been drooling in anticipation of the final book. I have a strong theory as to what happened at the end of Wintertide and can't wait to see if I am correct. Please keep up the good work, the quality between the books have been fantastic throughout the series so far.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rob. Yes the clock is quickly ticking down It is somewhat deja vu for me as Crown was originally released in the fall of 2008. This is starting to feel a bit like a tradition.

Nuttz, you have no idea how cool it is to hear someone is a "big fan." It seems almost absurd that it is even possible. That's what people are to authors of great books, actors in films, wonderful musicians...not me. That said...don't stop.

I hope you know what happened at the end of Wintertide--I mean you should know what happened at the very end of Wintertide, it wasn't hidden or secret. Some have said it is a cliff hanger, but it really isn't at least not in any literal sense. True there are lots of on going mysteries still yet to be revealed, so perhaps that is what you mean. Just so you know, the last book is chock full of answers.

Mr Sullivan, I just wanted to stop in to say that I've enjoyed the first two Riyria books over the past few weeks. I especially like the section at the very end of the books where you explain some of your motivation for writing the series. I find the stories to be a breath of fresh air for a genre, that IMO, has become pretty bloated with long epic series and stories with chicks in leather, zombies and vampires. I look forward to reading the rest of the Riyria books soon.

Thanks for stopping in Michael!

I think you'll find you have a good amount of "big fans". I started reading just after Nyphron Rising was released and greatly enjoyed all 5 books. I have to say that I purchased the books because of the beautiful cover art and was rewarded with a fantastic story. Really looking forward to Percepliquis and the omnibus editions.

Blog Entries
    Funny how many compliments I get on those covers. I'm a good designer (putting words and pictures together on a page in a pleasing manner) but I'm not a very good artist. Those covers were merely what I could do.

I didn't want a cartoony image, which you tend to see on some of the more traditional Jordan covers, and I didn't want the characters on the covers because I knew I couldn't do a good enough job depicting them, and I didn't want to ruin reader's imagination of how they saw them.

In order to "get by" I just kept them simple and understated. All I was aiming for was to not be laughed at or ridiculed for ghastly homemade art. On the other hand I was also just hoping to sell at least 50 copies of each book.

By the sound of things I guess I did okay on both counts.

Funny how many compliments I get on those covers. I'm a good designer (putting words and pictures together on a page in a pleasing manner) but I'm not a very good artist. Those covers were merely what I could do.

I didn't want a cartoony image, which you tend to see on some of the more traditional Jordan covers, and I didn't want the characters on the covers because I knew I couldn't do a good enough job depicting them, and I didn't want to ruin reader's imagination of how they saw them.

In order to "get by" I just kept them simple and understated. All I was aiming for was to not be laughed at or ridiculed for ghastly homemade art. On the other hand I was also just hoping to sell at least 50 copies of each book.

As a fellow resident of the DC Metro Area... excellent on both counts. I've read the first four in Kindle format and very much looking forward to the Orbit rereleases.

I'd say you did great on both counts.

I usually like it better when there are not characters on cover art. I was a little surprised Orbit went the way they did with the new covers. Don't get me wrong, I still think they are good, I just enjoy yours so much more.

Hope things went well with proofing last week. Let us know what you are up to next!

Blog Entries
    Speaking of covers and in reply to Darksbane...

Here are the Orbit UK covers:

http://riyria.blogspot.com/2011/08/uk-covers.html

...I didn't want a cartoony image, which you tend to see on some of the more traditional Jordan covers, and I didn't want the characters on the covers because I knew I couldn't do a good enough job depicting them, and I didn't want to ruin reader's imagination of how they saw them...
    Michael, good take on designing your covers. I also prefer covers that don't contain pictures of the main characters, since I like to keep my imaginations free-ranging while I'm reading (I generally prefer landscape scenes for book covers, but that's another matter). Still, those UK covers for your books seem well done. Congratulations on a successful series. Am looking forward to picking up the first omnibus when it comes out.

Well, this thread convinced me to jump over to amazon.com and read the first couple pages of the first book, which in turn convinced me to pre-order the three collected editions that are scheduled to start releasing in November here in the US.

Looking forward to jumping in when the season turns!

Anybody who is interested in Michael's books really needs to listen to the Podcast/Interview he did with the fine folks at Adventures in SciFi Publishing.

I just listened to it today, it's about an hour long and very interesting.

I've got their podcast with Robin in the queue

I had planned on reading the omnibus I mention in my above post, but have bumped it even higher on the TO READ pile.