Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: March Madness

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    No, absolutely not!
    I do wonder, though, if I've been over-doing the reading a bit. It's to the point that I want to give up all my other projects and start something completely new and different but, what, I don't know yet. Maybe cutback a little. Would that be ok Pete?

I hope you're not still feeling disheartened by this BrightStar. I thought you set yourself a very reasonable goal last month. However, I do understand your disappointment with yourself--happened to me in December--and it can be hard to get past. Look at it this way though: you've got a whole new month with a whole new set of goals to achieve! Plus, you've got several extra days this month than you had in February
    It's a new month, and I've had a week or so to re-energize myself whilst recovering from my recent illness, so at the moment, I'm ready to get writing! It was very discouraging for me when I didn't meet my 5,000 words goal in Feb, especially since it didn't seem completely unreachable when I originally set it, but I'm hoping to do better this month.

I'm pretty much recovered from my illness entirely now (yay!), although I've not managed to make a start this week yet with my March goal because I've had a few sleepless nights, and I don't do particularly well at much at all when I'm down on sleep time. At the moment though, I actually feel that planning will benefit me far more than writing chapter five. I came up with a few new ideas whilst I was recovering from my illness, so I'm excited to thrash them out a bit and see where I can go with them. I'm also a little concerned about making sure the timeline of my story so far makes sense, so I think that the next thing for me to do is to go with sorting those issues out for a bit.

25% done with my goal, since I justed posted my flash fic! Time to get started on the other short story contest...

Well, I might not have got any actual writing done today, but I did certainly manage to get my planning out of the way. And, it was completely and utterly time well spent, in my opinion. I came up with some excellent ideas that I would never have considered if I'd just written straight through, and really got the timeline straight in my mind so that I know what's going on with all my characters now.

Planning is one of the best ways to spend your time, BrightStar. Other than writing the story itself, I can't think of too much better that a writer can do.

2,218 for me tonight, tmso.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Progress post

Well, progress in tmsoland has been slow, but I'm just taking it easy. I got a lot of work (like, the paying kind) piling up this month so if I reach my goals, great, if not, oh well. There's always next month! I would have said that all like a pirate but I don't know how.

Yes, BrightStar, planning is important. You'll be ready to write when the muse strikes ya. RedMage - glad I can be an inspiration (or the whip-master?). Cheers to Hippokrene, Solaar, Robotosaur and Aether Monkey for your collective progress.

We're getting there!

1000 words for me.

My flash is done, going to let it stew a day or so and then look it over. Make sure I still like the flavour. So far I find it delicious. Good night.

Jims.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Sarunus, you reported a word count, but I had included you in the Trend Setters group, which means I have to convert your numbers to percent complete of your tasks. I'm just guessing at a 15% for right now. Is that accurate?
    You want me to do math? I thought I'd never need it again after 12th grade.

1. Done, but it was only 1,000 words, so I'll add that to the overall word count for the percentage
    2. Pretty much done. I began the research in earnest and pretty much just do more research as I run into details in my writing. (100% or 33% of the total)
    3. 2013/15,000 words on my novel, but with the FF words combined, it's 3013/16,000 (18.8% or 6.2% of the total)
    4. I've done some research on the story, but it's mostly just residual from the research for the one I'm working on now, so I'll say 25% tops on this one. (8.25% of the total)

33.3% + 6.2% + 8.25% = 47.75% I think

Whew...

It's not very scientific, but put me at 24%. If I get finished it will give me slightly over 100%.

B5

I did the flash too. Oh wait, that wasn't on my list either, was it...

10 days in, sitting at 18,250...which puts me about 4k behind my goal.

I blame Wise Man's Fear. And, ya know, laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage View Post
    Planning is one of the best ways to spend your time, BrightStar. Other than writing the story itself, I can't think of too much better that a writer can do.
    I don't like to plan too much, because that spoils the enjoyment for me. I like to feel like I'm telling the story as I go; not writing it all down from memory. But what I got planned out were some important events that I needed to time right, so right now, planning is definitely a plus for me. I'm enjoying the process of writing knowing that I've got a really strong plan in mind. Planning led me to some ideas that I wouldn't have thought of without and one of my new characters got some much needed development and back story. I've had a few more ideas since my planning yesterday, so I'll probably work on them a bit today.

I wrote 2 pages (500 words) today.

As I kinda predicted, I didn't make any writing progress today, but instead worked a bit more on my planning. I've been worried that whilst I have the major events pretty much set out straight, the smaller events and the world itself didn't seem to have had much attention. So I added a bit of depth to them so that I'll be able to keep things interesting even during the quieter times in my story.

Now everything is finally feeling about as fleshed out as I can make it with just a plan, so now for the writing. I'll hopefully make a start tomorrow.

I spent an interesting time earlier looking over previous plans I'd made for what I'm working on at the moment. It astonishes me how much my story has changed over the past few years. Most importantly, I was really pleased to see that for all the plans I didn't follow through with, I came up with something much, much better to take its place.
    Last edited by BrightStar; March 9th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

2,225 for me today. Completed, maybe, 1 and a half sections of my current chapter. (Each chapter is broken into a number of sections.) Been a very good day. Antagonist went completely mad. Or, well, should have. Not sure how much I like the first section where she's [supposed to be] really explosive. Might have to revisit it. *sigh* Not quite sure how to make it bigger though.