Hybrid View

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar

Conan The Barbarian (2011)

This is one of those movies that was stuck in development hell for years. I first heard about it back in 2002, when there was still some hope that Arnold Schwarzenegger would reprise the role. This year the film will finally be released (August 2011), but Conan will be played by Jason Momoa.

Ever since Arnold was officially out, I've had low expectations for this film. Momoa will also be featured in the upcoming Game of Thrones (playing a warrior chieftain named Khal Drogo) but that's still six weeks away, so I have yet to see him in action. The few Conan set pics that were leaked online didn't look very promising.

Still... there's a small part of me that hopes this turns out to be a pleasant surprise. Particularly since I finally got around to reading some of Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories a couple of years ago.

I'm also posting this today because a new "motion poster" for the film was just released. I have to say, the poster is pretty awesome.

Not too thrilled about the title, though. Calling it Conan The Barbarian again? Not sure whether this can top the original film (which I love).
    Last edited by Evil Agent; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:06 AM.

Great poster. Looking at the pictures of Jason Momoa I think he looks awesome for the role. Thank God he's in pants and not a loin cloth. This could be so so good if they get it right. And surely it can't be any worse than Conan the Destroyer?

I like what I'm seeing so far. I don't have so much of a love affair with the old Arnold movie either. Special effects of the time are what they are but I have a hard time believing they couldn't find a good fight choreographer.

I am certainly game for a reboot, though I do have a real fondness for the original. I liked the story which was so enhanced by the soundtrack. Arnie rocked that one out. It really seemed liked the first one had more of a genuine vibe whereas Destroyer felt to campy for my tastes. Too bad b/c I would have liked more Arnie Conan movies till he became the king.

I like that poster of Conan standing on the skulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    I am certainly game for a reboot, though I do have a real fondness for the original. I liked the story which was so enhanced by the soundtrack. Arnie rocked that one out. It really seemed liked the first one had more of a genuine vibe whereas Destroyer felt to campy for my tastes. Too bad b/c I would have liked more Arnie Conan movies till he became the king.

I like that poster of Conan standing on the skulls.
    It's not actually a reboot.. beyond a few superficial similarities.. it has a totally different story from the 1982 movie. It wasn't even originally going to be "Conan the Barbarian" but just "Conan".

This is getting a bit more right than the Arnie movie, which really had very little connection to the Robert E. Howard stories.. At least Conan is going to have Blue Eyes from what we know.. but Hollywood still seems to be having difficulties figuring out that they can.. actually base a movie off a book and have a semi-faithful translation of it..

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but if it does well I should like to see them actually adapt one or more of Robert E. Howard's stories for the sequel.. none of them are really long enough to adapt individually.. But I'd really like to see Tower of the Elephant done better than when the T.V. series did it.

I did not realize till very recently the movie was not based on the books. I have been reading some of the original Howard Conan lately and they are great action stories with amazing settings. What I have not really found in the Howard stories though is a real emotional hook. Conan goes from one adventure to another, slaying, plundering and theiving. That is why the first movie was successful, you gave a **** about Conan and his relationship and the motivation to kill James Earl Jones (what was his name). But I got a lot more Conan to read so there may be more of what I seek later on.

So its a redo - I look forward to it.

I watched the movie, but was pretty disappointed. And now, months later, I can not remember much about the movie at all.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You see, normally, Jango, that's the point where someone says "You clearly need to watch it again."

Result.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    You see, normally, Jango, that's the point where someone says "You clearly need to watch it again."

Result.
    Yeah, but I am not into self-abuse.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL.

Of course, the trick is not remembering you've watched it first time around....

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    LOL.

Of course, the trick is not remembering you've watched it first time around....

Mark
    I have not yet mastered this ancient art of which you speak.