Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    You see, normally, Jango, that's the point where someone says "You clearly need to watch it again."

Result.
    Yeah, but I am not into self-abuse.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL.

Of course, the trick is not remembering you've watched it first time around....

Mark
    Mark

LOL.

Of course, the trick is not remembering you've watched it first time around....

Mark
    I have not yet mastered this ancient art of which you speak.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I understand it happens more with age....

(Recognise it myself, increasingly often!)

Mark
    Mark

Talking

I understand it happens more with age....

(Recognise it myself, increasingly often!)

Mark
    "What were we talking about?" I look around in confusion, "Well, I am just going to go watch Conan The Barbarian, the 2011 version." Mumble, "I sure hope it's good."

http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I suppose what you have to say to yourself is what would this film have to do to be better than the original and do justice to the literature? If we can't answer that question then the chances of the film meeting expectation is slim... It also raises the bigger question: are we fair to remakes or do they have it coming for trying to make a quick buck without going through the hard work of coming up with something original?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sanders View Post
    It also raises the bigger question: are we fair to remakes or do they have it coming for trying to make a quick buck without going through the hard work of coming up with something original?
    I think you answered your own question there about the fairness.

Sometimes a remake is made so that the rights can be retained (e.g. the latest Spider-Man movie), other times they're unnecessary but very high earners or sometimes you get a very good creative team together that can do a property justice.

A remake will naturally be looked down upon, I think. People who don't understand the movie industry will be unaware of the issue about the rights and licenses, those who care about the properties will either wish for a continuation of those that have come before or will find it goes against that source material and so on.

But can you blame studios for trying? Really? Look at what the biggest blockbusters are bringing in right now. The Avengers, the Batman movies, the Twilight series and so on. You're talking astronomical sums of money.

http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All good points. I have to be honest and say that I had low expectations of the movie and was pleasantly surprised with certain aspects of it. Could have been much better (for me personally) but it didn't exactly fall on its ass either. : )

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed it just as much as I did Solomon Kane, I thought it was closer to the source material and Momoa was decent, the story could have been polished more and the ending was cringe worthy but with more financial backing a sequel could be quite good. In the end, I was entertained which is all I expected.