Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar

ADWD Release July 12th!

There's been some interesting news recently that we haven't talked about with regards to the upcoming book.

First, GRRM updated his blog to say that he had been ill between Christmas and new year, an infection.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/191485.html

He has now recovered though, and expects to be back to work soon. It's interesting that he pretty much confirms that the exciting announcement he had intended to make at the TCA would be the possible completion of ADWD.

The bad news: well, obviously, there's nothing like a week in a hospital bed to kick a hole in your plans and good intentions. I did hope to have some exciting announcements to make at TCA, but that won't be happening now.
    There's only been a week of 3 to 4 between when he blogged about expecting to make this announcement during this January 8 weekend, so it seems reasonable to expect that since he will now start working again, we should expect that announcement to arrive later, but soon.

Secondly, courtesy of Wert's blog, there is this link to a representive from Martin's publisher stating that we should expect an announcement soon. It's also intersting that the rep confirms that Bantam is very aware of the opportunity to cross promote ADWD with the release of the TV series. Understandable, since that hype is now buzzing Game of Thrones to bestseller lists.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/07/ga...ge-r-r-martin/

Please keep comments on topic.
    Last edited by Mithfânion; January 8th, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

I hesitate to get excited because we've been going through this for so long. If he IS almost done then great, that's wonderful news. I have to say I won't be holding my breath though.

From a marketing perspective, it would be suicide if this announcement is not the completion of ADWD. It has been postponed for so long and with all the Wildcard-releases and other publicity around the tv-series, no other fans than the ones waiting for ADWD will be waiting for an announcement.

That said, I really hope it is ADWD, and I think there is a real possibility that it is. I won´t be disappointed if it´s not though, I still have a ton and a half of other books to read and I have no problem with GRRM taking his time, or even not completing the series at all.

Quote Originally Posted by imaster View Post
    no other fans than the ones waiting for ADWD will be waiting for an announcement.
    What about those waiting to hear about the (A) Game of Thrones video game that's in the works?

Any announcement about the video game could be made by Cyanide directly, and would not be dependent on GRRM. In addition, Cyanide have been developing the game for about a year, which means there's likely another year to go, so there's not much really they can say.

I know that the activity at both Voyager and Random House has ramped up, particularly at Random House. It's also telling that Random House personnel have taken a strong interest in what's going on (rather than their imprint, Bantam Spectra, whose logo is on the SoIaF novels), as they are less emotionally-invested in the book (unlike the editors who have commented a lot recently and publicity personnel on Suvudu) and more interested in getting it out there, getting tons of words written about it and making sure it will be as unavoidable in a bookshop as a new Wheel of Time book and will sell correspondingly well.

I certainly wouldn't use the word 'imminent', but we are certainly very close. I'd still say weeks rather than days though.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Any announcement about the video game could be made by Cyanide directly, and would not be dependent on GRRM. In addition, Cyanide have been developing the game for about a year, which means there's likely another year to go, so there's not much really they can say.

I know that the activity at both Voyager and Random House has ramped up, particularly at Random House. It's also telling that Random House personnel have taken a strong interest in what's going on (rather than their imprint, Bantam Spectra, whose logo is on the SoIaF novels), as they are less emotionally-invested in the book (unlike the editors who have commented a lot recently and publicity personnel on Suvudu) and more interested in getting it out there, getting tons of words written about it and making sure it will be as unavoidable in a bookshop as a new Wheel of Time book and will sell correspondingly well.

I certainly wouldn't use the word 'imminent', but we are certainly very close. I'd still say weeks rather than days though.
    I am really happy for you Wert as well as all the Martin fans here. Really didn't think it would happen but it seems it will. I hope ADWD is everything all of you hoped for.

Of course, but it would still be a huge boost for the game if Mr Martin mentioned it.

Banned
    some of us are not well enough to see the release date,but George is.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I have to say, I knew it was a terrible idea to mention "exciting announcements" as soon as GRRM did so. He has a terrible (almost cursed?) habit of shooting himself in the foot, every time he makes such statements. And sure enough, he got sick and the "announcements" were postponed.

Still, I'm not sure where we've gotten the idea that GRRM confirmed that the announcement was about ADWD. I prefer not to speculate at this point.

Since we don't want another one of these (ADWD- October release?), I'm closing this thread and we'll either reopen it or start a new ADWD thread when an official announcement from George hits the intarwebs.

That thread was such a beast to moderate and keep track of so we hope you understand the reasons for us being strong-armed on the topic.

We are only 20 posts in and already sniping has begun.
    Last edited by Hobbit; January 9th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks to Rob for reopening the thread.

At GRRM's signing in LA, he stated that the announcement he was going to make was going to be about ADWD. His illness meant that he lost a week (I make that a bit more than a week though, so maybe he was rounding down) and hadn't delivered the book. The announcement will still come 'soon'. He also noted in an interview at the TCA that ADWD was close to delivery.

His latest blog post states that he is home and about to get back to work, but on a slower schedule on his doctor's recommendation. In that case, I would not expect an imminent announcement (within days), but maybe a few weeks to a month or two out (bearing in mind that tripling any estimate by GRRM for how long any job will take might be a good rule of the thumb).

Supercalifragilistic
    I'm betting he will finish ADWD in time for it to be released as early as episode 1 of the HBO show and no later than the season finale of season 1. Any takers?

Is it a coincidence that he happens to be finishing the book at such an opportune time?

I can't wait for the show. I wont buy the book until he has finished the final one or the HBO series passes them up. But i will be watching the show.

Banned
    Thanks to Rob for reopening the thread.
    do not haste with your thanks so early.this thread is opened and closed often as George`s workroom.for sure i will wait until the book is announced.

Yes, it was tiring, and I faded a lot faster than before my hospital stay... but it gave my spirits a huge boost to become George the Writer once again, after the dehumanizing experience of being George the Patient.
    Apparently it wasn't so tiring that he couldn't party after the book signing (where many readers waiting in line suddenly got the message that Martin had a plane to catch).

"The Writer" - I thought that was someone who actually, you know, writes. But if partying and hanging around with actors and actresses is being a Writer, then I'd like to be one too.

"George the Patient"? What does he know of PATIENCE

I'm sorry we had to cut off inscriptions halfway through the queue, but it was the only was to make certain everyone got at least one book signed.
    How about admitting WHY you cut off inscriptions halfway through?

I have the best fans in the world.
    If those three first books hadn't been so incredibly good...he'd have none left.

Parris and my docs agree, no more twelve-hour days for a while
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

So posts here may be less frequent than before. Kong comes first.
    So what he is saying is that blogging DOES take time off of "A Dance with Dragons", contrary to the arguments of the three or four people still in a defensive position.

So....is it out yet?