Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar

ADWD Release July 12th!

There's been some interesting news recently that we haven't talked about with regards to the upcoming book.

First, GRRM updated his blog to say that he had been ill between Christmas and new year, an infection.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/191485.html

He has now recovered though, and expects to be back to work soon. It's interesting that he pretty much confirms that the exciting announcement he had intended to make at the TCA would be the possible completion of ADWD.

The bad news: well, obviously, there's nothing like a week in a hospital bed to kick a hole in your plans and good intentions. I did hope to have some exciting announcements to make at TCA, but that won't be happening now.
    There's only been a week of 3 to 4 between when he blogged about expecting to make this announcement during this January 8 weekend, so it seems reasonable to expect that since he will now start working again, we should expect that announcement to arrive later, but soon.

Secondly, courtesy of Wert's blog, there is this link to a representive from Martin's publisher stating that we should expect an announcement soon. It's also intersting that the rep confirms that Bantam is very aware of the opportunity to cross promote ADWD with the release of the TV series. Understandable, since that hype is now buzzing Game of Thrones to bestseller lists.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/07/ga...ge-r-r-martin/

Please keep comments on topic.
    Last edited by Mithfânion; January 8th, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

I hesitate to get excited because we've been going through this for so long. If he IS almost done then great, that's wonderful news. I have to say I won't be holding my breath though.

From a marketing perspective, it would be suicide if this announcement is not the completion of ADWD. It has been postponed for so long and with all the Wildcard-releases and other publicity around the tv-series, no other fans than the ones waiting for ADWD will be waiting for an announcement.

That said, I really hope it is ADWD, and I think there is a real possibility that it is. I won´t be disappointed if it´s not though, I still have a ton and a half of other books to read and I have no problem with GRRM taking his time, or even not completing the series at all.

Quote Originally Posted by imaster View Post
    no other fans than the ones waiting for ADWD will be waiting for an announcement.
    What about those waiting to hear about the (A) Game of Thrones video game that's in the works?

Any announcement about the video game could be made by Cyanide directly, and would not be dependent on GRRM. In addition, Cyanide have been developing the game for about a year, which means there's likely another year to go, so there's not much really they can say.

I know that the activity at both Voyager and Random House has ramped up, particularly at Random House. It's also telling that Random House personnel have taken a strong interest in what's going on (rather than their imprint, Bantam Spectra, whose logo is on the SoIaF novels), as they are less emotionally-invested in the book (unlike the editors who have commented a lot recently and publicity personnel on Suvudu) and more interested in getting it out there, getting tons of words written about it and making sure it will be as unavoidable in a bookshop as a new Wheel of Time book and will sell correspondingly well.

I certainly wouldn't use the word 'imminent', but we are certainly very close. I'd still say weeks rather than days though.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Any announcement about the video game could be made by Cyanide directly, and would not be dependent on GRRM. In addition, Cyanide have been developing the game for about a year, which means there's likely another year to go, so there's not much really they can say.

I know that the activity at both Voyager and Random House has ramped up, particularly at Random House. It's also telling that Random House personnel have taken a strong interest in what's going on (rather than their imprint, Bantam Spectra, whose logo is on the SoIaF novels), as they are less emotionally-invested in the book (unlike the editors who have commented a lot recently and publicity personnel on Suvudu) and more interested in getting it out there, getting tons of words written about it and making sure it will be as unavoidable in a bookshop as a new Wheel of Time book and will sell correspondingly well.

I certainly wouldn't use the word 'imminent', but we are certainly very close. I'd still say weeks rather than days though.
    I am really happy for you Wert as well as all the Martin fans here. Really didn't think it would happen but it seems it will. I hope ADWD is everything all of you hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    I am really happy for you Wert as well as all the Martin fans here. Really didn't think it would happen but it seems it will. I hope ADWD is everything all of you hoped for.
    Don't count the dragons before they're hatched though My recommendation to people is not to believe anything until the book is in their hands. Even if Martin finished it in a week, it'll still be several months before it comes out, and I'm hearing a very vague rumour that Random House are not necessarily going to honour the completion + 3 months guarantee Bantam made years ago and have already set a release date that has been unaffected by Martin's illness. I hope they're not going to hold it back all the way until the end of the year or something lame (or that Voyager follow suit).

Of course, but it would still be a huge boost for the game if Mr Martin mentioned it.

Banned
    some of us are not well enough to see the release date,but George is.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I have to say, I knew it was a terrible idea to mention "exciting announcements" as soon as GRRM did so. He has a terrible (almost cursed?) habit of shooting himself in the foot, every time he makes such statements. And sure enough, he got sick and the "announcements" were postponed.

Still, I'm not sure where we've gotten the idea that GRRM confirmed that the announcement was about ADWD. I prefer not to speculate at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Still, I'm not sure where we've gotten the idea that GRRM confirmed that the announcement was about ADWD.
    It's more the point that, amongst GRRM's announced projects, it can only be ADWD, as that is his only incomplete, currently announced work (he's already said that completion of the World book is on hold until he finishes ADWD, so it can't be related to that).

The other possibilities would be: a contract signed for a new anthology or WILD CARDS book; new licensing related to ASoIaF or other GRRM work; a new TV or film adaptation of his work; progress being made on the Skin Trade movie; something related to the computer game, P&P roleplaying game, the calenders or so on.

All of these things are things that can still be announced. GRRM's illness has no bearing on them.

The other possibility, and it should not be discounted, is that GRRM has an announcement about a previously-unannounced writing project, possibly a new D&D story or a new, ASoIaF-unrelated project, but both of these seem very unlikely.

So you eliminate those and you end up with ADWD. The announcement isn't necessarily completion but could be something very significant, like the book is being sliced in two for publication, or inessential but positive, like that Roy Dotrice has been locked for the audiobook.

like the book is being sliced in two for publication
    Surely that's a best-case scenario now? Even if it has a poor ending, it could possibly be that ADWD2 would release sooner and almost gloss over that fact. It's happened in the UK with book 3 (I believe?) and I've heard no complaints about it beyond costing more to buy, so it's obviously there as an option for Martin and his publishers.

The way I see it, it's a great way for them to go. It gets a good boost of money in, it gives the fans something to read (And may help increase the visibility of both ASoIaF and GoT's impending broadcast) and Martin can then possibly take a little longer with the second half.

Maybe. Just a theory.

I'm ripping out my hair, and I really shouldn't as I'm not growing any younger. But there is this:
    If George RR Martin was so close to wrapping up ADWD that he could announce it on January 9th (two frickin days from now), why can't he then announce it? It is not like announcing it one week later will make a difference. He seems quite healthy to me in those pictures from the TCA panel thing, and if he is able to attend that AND sign books, then I can't see how announcing ADWD could be so difficult. He lost one, maybe two weeks during Christmas; if he announced ADWD on the 9th, no one would be the wiser that he still needed a week or two wrapping it up.
    In other words, I don't believe the announcement has anything to do with ADWD. More likely, a Russian animation studio has signed a deal to to a bi-monthly animated series based on "Tuf Voyaging". But who knows but the man.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slynt View Post
    More likely, a Russian animation studio has signed a deal to to a bi-monthly animated series based on "Tuf Voyaging". But who knows but the man.
    LOL.

Anyways, what about the fact that he said "Might have an exciting announcement that day as well. Maybe two. But don't quote me on that."

Why two? Clearly he's referring to more than just ADWD, if he's referring to ADWD at all. People are jumping the gun and assuming too much. I'm telling you, GRRM mentioning these announcements was a big mistake, I knew it from the instant I read those words for the first time, and I can't help but shake my head and wonder why he still does things like this to himself. Even if the book is mere days from completion, you'd think he'd have learned better by now.

Oh yes, if GRRM had a character sheet his "PR skill" would definitely be very low, if it had any score at all. It's the "Maybe two" part that I thought could-possibly- maybe-dear-god-please-let-it-be-so be the "ADWD" announcement, with the major announcement having something to do with the TV series (the execs are promising a second season? extended DVD edition will feature much nudity? Jon Snow's chin has been recast as beardless?)