Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    There is a new blurb at HarperCollins website:

The fifth volume in the greatest epic work of the modern age

The future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance. In the east, Daenerys, last scion of House Targaryen, her dragons grown to terrifying maturity, rules as queen of a city built on dust and death, beset by enemies.

Now that her whereabouts are known many are seeking Daenerys and her dragons. Among them the dwarf, Tyrion Lannister, who has escaped King’s Landing with a price on his head, wrongfully condemned to death for the murder of his nephew, King Joffrey. But not before killing his hated father, Lord Tywin.

To the north lies the great Wall of ice and stone – a structure only as strong as those guarding it. Eddard Stark's bastard son Jon Snow has been elected the 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, but he has enemies both in the Watch and beyond the Wall, where the wildling armies are massing for an assault.

On all sides bitter conflicts are reigniting, played out by a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves. The tides of destiny will inevitably lead to the greatest dance of all…

Tyrion is seeking Dany now?

This is the one thing that really, and I mean seriously, let's ASOIAF down for me. Up until this point no one helps anyone else for free, everyone has motives and everyone is greedy.

Yet, they all flock to Dany.

Why?

Her House was invaders to their land, they were not even the rightful Kings and Queens. D: Plus, a lot of the people really have no reason too. It's all very convinient... Sigh.

AND THIS FROM /ME/.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    Tyrion is seeking Dany now?

This is the one thing that really, and I mean seriously, let's ASOIAF down for me. Up until this point no one helps anyone else for free, everyone has motives and everyone is greedy.

Why?

Her House was invaders to their land, they were not even the rightful Kings and Queens. D: Plus, a lot of the people really have no reason too. It's all very convinient... Sigh.

AND THIS FROM /ME/.
    Did you read the third book? Tyrion has nowhere else to go. I don't think it's out of kindness or charity, LOL.

Plus, the Targaryens were considered rightful rulers (by right of conquest), although I'll be the first to admit that's a debatable concept.

I think Tyrion has more to gain in joining with the force that seeks to regain the throne than he does wandering around without the aid of his family funds and with two murders drawing a dotted line about his throat. Motive enough for me to seek her out.

But then surely anyone who is King has the right to be King by right of debate of the definition of conquest? Eh? Eh?

I dunno'. It works out, in story terms. I just feel it's a cop out. Dany is just having all the charatcers I love casually titter over to her cause and I don't feel comfortable with it. I wish that girl had to work. Just have to wait till her Court starts crumbling and betraying her, I guess.

But then surely anyone who is King has the right to be King by right of debate of the definition of conquest? Eh? Eh?

I dunno'. It works out, in story terms. I just feel it's a cop out. Dany is just having all the charatcers I love casually titter over to her cause and I don't feel comfortable with it. I wish that girl had to work. Just have to wait till her Court starts crumbling and betraying her, I guess.
    Dany has, arguably, worked more than many of the characters in the series. She's had a pretty rough time of it, in my opinion. She's fighting to regain her 'rightful' throne, the one that was stolen from her family by a usurper/traitor. I've seen this opinion of Dany before, but I don't understand it.

Also, how is it a cop out? Don't you think things need to start converging and coming together, if GRRM is ever going to write an ending to this series?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Dany has, arguably, worked more than many of the characters in the series. She's had a pretty rough time of it, in my opinion. She's fighting to regain her 'rightful' throne, the one that was stolen from her family by a usurper/traitor. I've seen this opinion of Dany before, but I don't understand it.

Also, how is it a cop out? Don't you think things need to start converging and coming together, if GRRM is ever going to write an ending to this series?
    Because there have been so many oppertunities for characters who could share some common goal, some personal goal, some ambitious goal, to meet up and form alliances that'd be intrigueing, inevitive and exciting but they have been avoided because it would simply be unrealistic for people to flock to someone they know nothing about.

Dany could have been a nobody. She has not had anything to do with her fate. If Drogo was a worse man, she'd have been property. If Illyrio had never given her eggs, she'd have been nothing. If her eggs had not hatched, she'd have died in the desert. I think she has a good will, but everything has just 'worked out' for her in a way it does not for anyone else --- even to thepoint that she is saved (I believe by the Squire?) from a crowd of hundreds (or thousands) at EXACTLY the right time from a rape or beating or murder. (ASOS) When she had specifically gone off by herself.

In a book where coincidences do not happen, she has too many for my liking.

I personally hope the BWB and the common folk get their own back. They get stomped all over. xD

The people of Westeros have had relative peace and prosperity for hundreds of years with the Targaryens. If Robert had been a better king and his "children" worthy successors, then there would've been no problem.

But the fighting and the misery have led the majority of people to pine for the "good ol' days". They're fed up with the Baratheons and the Lannisters and want a return to their "rightful" ruler.

And Dany is a child of prophecy. She is destined to help defeat the great evil of the Others and save her realm and ultimately, bring it peace and prosperity once again. So, in that light, yes, people will flock to her and try to help her.

Tyrion's reason for seeking out Dany:

Spoiler:
    He knows it would infuriate and sicken his father and terrify his sister.

Tyrion needs no more reason than that

In a book where coincidences do not happen, she has too many for my liking.
    Don't forget that she is prophesiesed.

Why?
    Because they all know their history, and remember what happened the last time Targaryens in possession of dragons set their minds to conquest. Things could still go very wrong for Dany, but if I were a member of a ruined House having to pick sides right now I know who I'd be backing. Particularly if I were a wanted man in Westeros.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    Don't forget that she is prophesiesed.
    So was the Stallion That Mounted the World. That didn't end so well for him

Martin's US publisher revealed also a new plot synopsis:

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his landmark series—as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS
    A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE: BOOK FIVE

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance—beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has thousands of enemies, and many have set out to find her. As they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

Spoiler:
    Fleeing from Westeros with a price on his head, Tyrion Lannister, too, is making his way to Daenerys. But his newest allies in this quest are not the rag-tag band they seem, and at their heart lies one who could undo Daenerys’s claim to Westeros forever.

Meanwhile, to the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone—a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

From all corners, bitter conflicts reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all.

Well, despite the publication date announcement (one week ago), GRRM is still not done! Here's his blog update from today:

(Note: KRAKENS = GREYJOYS, KONG = ADWD)

He's STILL a king in his world...

...and he's taught me fear.

I've tied the last kraken up in knots, only to have another swarm up from the depths.

Aiieeee.

As of this morning, A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is thirty (manuscript) pages longer than A STORM OF SWORDS. And. Not. Done. Yet.

Dragons, krakens, monkeys, I hates them all.

But I press on. Kong, Kong, I will beat you yet! Where's my bloody biplane???
    Last edited by Evil Agent; March 12th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

At the risk of being pessimistic, is there actually a chance that the novel will be delayed even after an official release date has been set? Or is this one of those deals where the publishers can sue or sanction Martin if he doesn't get them the book in time for them to release it on that date?