Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    I'm telling you, GRRM mentioning these announcements was a big mistake, I knew it from the instant I read those words for the first time, and I can't help but shake my head and wonder why he still does things like this to himself.
    My thoughts exactly. Thatīs why itīs PR-suicide if this is not about ADWD. But. who knows? Itīs still GRRM weīre talking about...

Still, there are few announcement that he can make which are affected by his illness that are unrelated to ADWD—thatīs why I get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Slynt View Post
    (the execs are promising a second season? extended DVD edition will feature much nudity? Jon Snow's chin has been recast as beardless?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerwell View Post
    Surely that's a best-case scenario now?
    Not really. The best case scenario I think is that the book is coming out and is so absolutely fricking gigantic you could kill a charging rhinocerous with it but they're not milking the readers for cash for the privilege

If George RR Martin was so close to wrapping up ADWD that he could announce it on January 9th (two frickin days from now), why can't he then announce it?
    In May 2005 GRRM thought he'd take a year to knock out two-thirds of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS I think he's taken the very wise step of not announcing anything unless it is actually done, dusted and off to the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Not really. The best case scenario I think is that the book is coming out and is so absolutely fricking gigantic you could kill a charging rhinocerous with it but they're not milking the readers for cash for the privilege
    That's a good point. OK, surely it's a second best scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerwell View Post
    That's a good point. OK, surely it's a second best scenario?
    Indeed

Generally speaking, taking a bigger book and splitting it in half is never really satisfying. LORD OF THE RINGS, maybe (but only becuase Tolkien divided it in six parts to start off with), but other books, no. The UK two-book paperback edition of ASoS doesn't really work as just as the book takes off it stops, then you have to switch to the next volume and the rhythms get thrown off (and the Red Wedding works best at the 55% point of a one-volume edition, not a few chapters into the second book of a two-book edition which is just odd).

What I'm hearing at the moment supports the one-volume edition approach, at least for the hardcover, in both the UK and USA. Not 100%, but it seems to be the way publishers are inclined at the moment.

I believe GRRM wrote his blog, hit send and didn't think twice about the words "Exciting news". His handlers read it and freak out knowing that everyone assumes it ADWD. The announcement is postponed. The announcement is then delayed until after he is actually done with ADWD.

Slynt is right. There is no way 2 weeks of being sick would delay ADWD release announcement. The guy just doesn't think before he submits a blog. Surely after this someone will be proofing his blogs.

OR

ADWD is done, he was going to announce it, but someone i.e. HBO or his publishers want him to delay the announcment.

Does he have someone reading his blogs before he posts them?

Sounds like a pretty rough illness. I hope he is ok and feeling better.
    Last edited by teahupoo; January 9th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.

Since we don't want another one of these (ADWD- October release?), I'm closing this thread and we'll either reopen it or start a new ADWD thread when an official announcement from George hits the intarwebs.

That thread was such a beast to moderate and keep track of so we hope you understand the reasons for us being strong-armed on the topic.

We are only 20 posts in and already sniping has begun.
    Last edited by Hobbit; January 9th, 2011 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks to Rob for reopening the thread.

At GRRM's signing in LA, he stated that the announcement he was going to make was going to be about ADWD. His illness meant that he lost a week (I make that a bit more than a week though, so maybe he was rounding down) and hadn't delivered the book. The announcement will still come 'soon'. He also noted in an interview at the TCA that ADWD was close to delivery.

His latest blog post states that he is home and about to get back to work, but on a slower schedule on his doctor's recommendation. In that case, I would not expect an imminent announcement (within days), but maybe a few weeks to a month or two out (bearing in mind that tripling any estimate by GRRM for how long any job will take might be a good rule of the thumb).

I'm betting he will finish ADWD in time for it to be released as early as episode 1 of the HBO show and no later than the season finale of season 1. Any takers?

Is it a coincidence that he happens to be finishing the book at such an opportune time?

I can't wait for the show. I wont buy the book until he has finished the final one or the HBO series passes them up. But i will be watching the show.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Thanks to Rob for reopening the thread.
    do not haste with your thanks so early.this thread is opened and closed often as George`s workroom.for sure i will wait until the book is announced.

Yes, it was tiring, and I faded a lot faster than before my hospital stay... but it gave my spirits a huge boost to become George the Writer once again, after the dehumanizing experience of being George the Patient.
    Apparently it wasn't so tiring that he couldn't party after the book signing (where many readers waiting in line suddenly got the message that Martin had a plane to catch).

"The Writer" - I thought that was someone who actually, you know, writes. But if partying and hanging around with actors and actresses is being a Writer, then I'd like to be one too.

"George the Patient"? What does he know of PATIENCE

I'm sorry we had to cut off inscriptions halfway through the queue, but it was the only was to make certain everyone got at least one book signed.
    How about admitting WHY you cut off inscriptions halfway through?

I have the best fans in the world.
    If those three first books hadn't been so incredibly good...he'd have none left.

Parris and my docs agree, no more twelve-hour days for a while
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

So posts here may be less frequent than before. Kong comes first.
    So what he is saying is that blogging DOES take time off of "A Dance with Dragons", contrary to the arguments of the three or four people still in a defensive position.

So....is it out yet?

It will be published next week, under the pseudonym "Joe Abercrombie" and re-titled "The Heroes". All expected characters like Daenerys and Jon are scrapped, but the story will be out NEXT WEEK and it will be awesome.

Slynt & Sweetmartin, consider this a warning. The purpose of this thread is more of a running news item tracking so keep the snide, petty and pedantic comments out of it.

This latest attempt to find something to blame GRRM for seems a little desperate, it has to be said.

1. GRRM has an appointment in Hollywood immediately after the signing, so he can't hang around. He tells this to the guys at the bookstore but not the reason why (since it's confidential meeting, I would hazard a guess with HBO or maybe with the people working on the Skin Trade movie project).

2. The guys at the bookstore somehow garble this into saying that GRRM is leaving to get on a plane.

3. If GRRM heard this, I guess that, rather than go through the tedium of correcting them, the end-result that he needs to be out of there on time is the same so what the hell? If he was out back, he may not have heard them (the PR system is most shops does not feed into the back offices).

4. He leaves on time, goes to the meeting, then meets up with other fans for a meet-up.

Trying to turn this into some grand conspiracy theory is bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Slynt View Post
    So what he is saying is that blogging DOES take time off of "A Dance with Dragons", contrary to the arguments of the three or four people still in a defensive position.
    No, that's what you think he's saying. Ask any number of full-time authors and they'll tell you that their day is structured - Wake up at X time, spend Y time answering e-mails, write for Z hours - and so forth. It's entirely possible that George sets aside a set amount of time per day/week for his blog, but he's decided to cut back on that time in order to get the book out.