Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 368
  1. #61
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    And our fifth off-topic or simply whiny post over the last few days gets us a lock on this thread. We'll open it back up when someone lets us know by PM that there's something new to add.

  2. #62
    Is Winter Coming? R.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    795

    ADWD even more imminent?

    So GRRM has updated with a very specific and interesting update. It seems obvious that he's talking about Theon and Asha Greyjoy (or so I gather), the "sliver of sun" could be about the Martells, and snowing on Skull Island can be interpreted as him writing something about snow (Jon Snow, or actual snow descending as it began to do in 2005's AFFC), or it could mean that he is once again mired down in the book's details, postponing the release further..? What do you think?

    One could look at it as "three chapters left" I guess, but then again we haven't heard if the Meereeneese knot has been finally cut.

    Which makes me wonder if he really did say that "ADWD" was supposed to be that second infamous announcement?
    If yes, does the "snowing on Skull Island" simply mean "sorry just as I thought it was done, I felt the need to change something"?

  3. #63
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    Thread is open for now, as Slynt has brought us what looks to be new information. So long as we stay relevant to that, we'll leave this open.

  4. #64
    Damn fool idealist DailyRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,681
    Didn't GRRM refer to one of his projects as King Kong (as in the size of the monkey on his back)? And doesn't Kong live on Skull Island?

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    Didn't GRRM refer to one of his projects as King Kong (as in the size of the monkey on his back)? And doesn't Kong live on Skull Island?
    Yes, and Yes. He is making a reference to his "Kong" (ADWD) I believe.

  6. #66
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,646
    ADWD was going to be the second announcement. Someone at the signing reported that was what he said. Of course, if it was, even taking into account his illness, he should have been done by about now at the latest, which makes me think he wouldn't have made the original date even if he was not ill. Which is not exactly a huge surprise.

    There was new information released yesterday about the first ASoIaF computer game, which looks a bit ho-hum, to be honest. Could be good, but the free mods several fan communities are working on at the moment look quite a bit more impressive.

  7. #67
    It sounds like he's worked on a Theon chapter? And now is working on an Asha chapter, then on to a Jon.

    A bit worrying that he's still only working on these chapters. I'd have thought he'd be done writing everything by now.

  8. #68
    Is Winter Coming? R.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    ADWD was going to be the second announcement. Someone at the signing reported that was what he said. Of course, if it was, even taking into account his illness, he should have been done by about now at the latest, which makes me think he wouldn't have made the original date even if he was not ill. Which is not exactly a huge surprise.

    There was new information released yesterday about the first ASoIaF computer game, which looks a bit ho-hum, to be honest. Could be good, but the free mods several fan communities are working on at the moment look quite a bit more impressive.
    But if Martin planned to announce A Dance with Dragons, why then suddenly this post about Kong and krakens and wolves as if it were 2009? I don't get that. And "ho-hum" is being nice! Will I buy it anyway cause I am a Westerosi sucker? You bet.

  9. #69
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,646
    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAUserName View Post
    It sounds like he's worked on a Theon chapter? And now is working on an Asha chapter, then on to a Jon.

    A bit worrying that he's still only working on these chapters. I'd have thought he'd be done writing everything by now.
    GRRM makes no distinction between writing and rewriting in these updates. These may be chapters that have been written from scratch but they're more likely to be chapters that exist in some form and are being rewritten or finished off. When the 5-chapters-left-thing came up, GRRM's editor did say that all of the chapters had been sketched out or drafted, and needed to be rounded off, not written from scratch. Things could, of course, have changed since then.

    postponing the release further
    I have heard a rumour that Bantam have an ideal release date for ADWD, a date which has not been affected by either GRRM's illness nor the book not being done. From that, I assume that date is late in this year (but it is this year still, at least right now) and that Bantam have decided to forego the release-3-months-after-completion idea. AFAIK, Voyager (the UK publisher) are still thinking about those terms, however, raising the possibility of not just an earlier UK release but a significantly earlier one, assuming completion in the near future.

    As updates go, this one's purpose is fairly unclear. It's possible that GRRM's update was a way of letting us know he's not done yet and to not expect an imminent completion announcement or actually the exact opposite.

  10. #70
    Illustrious Gambler saintjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in a pimped out airship baby
    Posts
    4,506
    All RIIiiiight an RTS.... awesome. The board games fantasy flight have made are excellent but I bet more people will end up getting that thing.

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1
    hey does george have a date for release yet (actual date and not the near future) for Dragons.

  12. #72
    Lemurs!!! Moderator Erfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Up a tree
    Posts
    4,880
    Not yet, Peregrin, though some people feel like it might be getting close.

  13. #73
    Registered User Gary XI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Number 16, with the magic sword topiary
    Posts
    72
    I can see this being the first hardback I've bought in years, it's all fresh in my mind and I don't want to loose it!

    I'm hoping that the announcment of the release date will very shortly precede its release..

  14. #74
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary XI View Post
    I can see this being the first hardback I've bought in years, it's all fresh in my mind and I don't want to loose it!

    I'm hoping that the announcment of the release date will very shortly precede its release..
    I was thinking this after hearing Radiohead's announcement of their new album.

    "I severed the knot last night, delivered the book this afternoon, it'll be out Sunday."
    Somehow I doubt this will happen

  15. #75
    Registered User Gary XI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Number 16, with the magic sword topiary
    Posts
    72
    "I severed the knot last night, delivered the book this afternoon, it'll be out Sunday."
    Wouldn't want to be an amazon worker that sunday ha!

    I was thinking more like a month in advance, but then I've no idea of the time scales from George's final draft to seeing it in UK bookstores

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •