It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch

Anybody else reading this one?

I'm about 20% through the story at this point and I am really enjoying the dialogue. I think this is one of the author's greatest strengths. How he manages to impart so much with a simple line of dialogue and Peter's reaction to it. Just brilliant.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Might be that background as a TV scriptwriter that helps. Did you know Ben started as a scriptwriter for Doctor Who? (Old series.)
    Mark

Blog Entries
    I did know that! But had completely forgotten about it. I hate to say it on this forum (do not throw rotten tomatoes, please!), but I am not a big fan of Dr. Who.

But you are right, I'm sure he has lots of practice nailing dialogue, and getting the different accents and speech rhythms down and everything. It's really nice to read.

I've only done two of these so far, but I have to throw in a recommendation for the audio versions of these books. The reader for them is one of the best readers I have come across in all the audiobooks I've listened to (and I generally do 1-2 per month for the last several years). He is so good. I could listen to him do (and have done a few times already) the opening to Rivers of London over and over again: Kobna Holdbrook Smith

Blog Entries
    I generally do not listen to audio books, they put me to sleep, but I can actually see (hear?) myself listening to this series. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I try to walk a few miles a day to keep help the calorie budget in the correct balance, and the audiobooks let me get through a few extra books a month for my effort. I find that a particularly good book help with the motivation to get out there for more than the minimum hour a day. Usually I listen to crime/urban fantasy -- Dresden, Kate Daniels, Logan McRae, Peter Grant, that sort of thing for my audio books -- interspersed with a healthy dose of RadioLab, Moth, and This American Life. The Grant books have been some favorites so far.

Short way of saying that it's hard to fall asleep listening to an audio book at 4 miles an hour....

A Fantasy Freak
    I really enjoy this series a lot, and just finished this book. It engaged me from the beginning and didn't let up, although the ending felt abrupt. For some reason I didn't get into the last book as much as previous ones, but this one kept my attention. I also very much liked the dialogue, and since I am no fan of Dr. Who (I just never watched it) I didn't know he had been involved with that show before. Interesting. :-)

Just finished the second book in the series, Moon Over Soho, and actually liked it even more than the first, Rivers of London (for some reason called Midnight Riot in the States.) Would you say that Foxglove is the best one? (But no big spoilers!)

I've got Midnight Riot on my TBR pile, just waiting for my urban fantasy twitch to kick in.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I read Foxglove last month. I would not say it was the best in the series, but it was solid and entertaining. On the plus side, Peter goes on a summer trip out of London and investigates the countryside. He is also acting solo (well, mostly, if you ignore a certain romantic interest), which does good hings to hisself-esteem. On the minus, I was not so convinced by the Faeries: they felt generic, less original than the other magic characters in the series.

A Fantasy Freak

Smile

I don't know if it was the best, but maybe tied for the best in the series for me.

Blog Entries
    I'm not finished with it yet, so not sure if it will be considered my best of the series, but I did find it incredibly easy to slide beside Peter in is Astro (that's his car, right? or is it Asbo?). I think I'm just becoming very very familiar with the story world and it's a nice place to be (though the whole missing children's thing might get depressing).

Blog Entries
    Finished this yesterday. Or was it the day before? Anyway, very enjoyable. I think it is definitely one of the best of the series. Not sure about the best, but pretty darn close.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    So, when is the next one out?
    I need my new fix of Peter Grant, stat!