GOT Books - Animal Cruelty?

Hey all. First post here. I have been watching the TV show and love it and now Im looking to start the audiobook. My question is this... Call me what you want but I have a hard time dealing with animal cruelty on the show (particularly during the red wedding), and wondering if those of you that have read the book or audio book could help indicate which areas to avoid. I have been told that the books go into way more gory details which I'm not looking forward to. But I figure I can't be the first person to want to avoid those details...

Anyways if anyone knows, or if there is some site dedicated to this, that would be great.

In my head I keep thinking of the 'mr skin' type websites which give the exact time of each nude shot, so I have to believe something like this exists for animal deaths lol. Maybe not though

Thanks!

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Roach - welcome to the forum!

I'd like to think there's someone out there that has done that, but I've never heard of it.

I do sympathize with you. I'm a vegetarian for a lot of reasons, one of which is that I just don't like the idea of another creature dying for me. However, it doesn't bother me as much in my fiction (though it does bother me).

Word of warning, I've read all of the currently released books in GRRM's Fire and Ice series and it doesn't get any better. Animal (and human to human) cruelty is rife throughout the books. I dare to say that cruelty is part of the fabric of the world the author has created.

Good luck.

I'm unaware of any resource that would be helpful. There are long stretches in these books without animal cruelty, but it definitely does come up on multiple occasions, as you've heard, so if it's that much of a concern then I'd say you're right to be wary. Perhaps you might try to identify someone who will be reading, or re-reading, the books and ask them if they'd be wiling to note the potentially offending areas and then let you know?

I can't stand animal cruelty either! Makes me so angry and sad. I'm sorry I can't help you but I just stopped reading when I notice it went in to gory details. It's the only tips I can give you. I can't believe how many animals George kills and describe in detail! I hate it!

Aww I'm sorry I can't help. I suppose any scene where there is war or large numbers of men who have gathered for war, there are descriptions of what happens to the animals. I'm sure there is a guide to those scenes and so you can skip past those and just read the summaries. Anything that has the Hound and Arya, the Wall and beyond the wall has a few scenes. But it's hard cause you might miss out on some of the good bits before they suddenly throw animal cruelty at you. I wish I could be of more help!

I've also found the scenes of animal cruelty difficult to read. Have to admit I've skimmed through scenes where it takes place. But I do see how it's part of the world.

Has that rights group PETA spoken up? If not, perhaps there's nothing to worry about if real animals were not abused in the show. The abuse seems to be part of the realism of the story, based on the Medieval Ages.