Hybrid View

trolling > dissertation nquixote's Avatar

Damn it, when will Martin finish TWoW?

Haha, just kiddin'.

Martin's off the hook for at least 2 years.

He's still my bitch though.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar

Talking

LOL, you beat me to it! I was just about to start a similar thread.

I can't wait for The Winds of Winter!!!!!

Do you think he might be able to get it done for this time next year??
    I certainly hope so! and I'll be pretty peeved if he doesn't, let me tell you.

It will be done much faster that ADWD. UNLESS the show tanks...then expect another 10year wait.

hehe. Well, part of the reason ADWD took so long was the whole "Meereenese knot" shindig. Hopefully he managed to solve that enough in ADWD so that TWoW won't be so grueling for him to write.

There's no reason to think that TWoW will be faster, unless you're just trying to delude yourself into optimism. GRRM has clearly lost his momentum and that is not an easy thing to get back. Also remember that a good portion of ADwD was finished by the time AFfC came out.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    It will be done much faster that ADWD.
    Let's not forget... AFFC took 5 years as well, and when it was finished he was confident that ADWD would be much faster (his estimate was about one year). Now GRRM says he hopes to get the next books done in about 3 years each, but I'm not holding my breath...

Don't think that the TV series and him finishing the book now are coincidences. As I've said a million times, the TV series is what will get him to finish this book series. If it doesn't get canceled, the books will be finished before the series airs that season. 3years a piece sounds about right. If we are all here in 3-6years, I will say I told ya so! =)

"Dime Store Rock"

The Winds of Winter

I looked through the threads and didn't find one about this book. Any idea when it is coming out? I will be starting A Game of Thrones (my first venture into fantasy) after I finish the current book I am reading. I have done some research on this series and it is starting to worry me that he will never finish it (he is 63 and it is taking longer and longer each book).

I read that A Dance With Dragons was originally going to be released shortly (I guess 1-2 years?) after A Feast For Crows and it ended up taking 6 years. Any word on how long The Winds of Winter will take?

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    No word on that. Martin is set to start writing the book at the start of 2012, presumably because there are so many other obligations for the rest of 2011 that he doesn't have time to start it. He explained in a blog post a while back what other stuff he still has to do:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/219080.html

His aim is to finish the last two books before the series is out. Realistically that gives him a year or two to write ADWD, to have it published in 2014. In that same year the 4th season of the tv show will run. I would say that that is the absolute latest the book has to be published in order for their to be a chance of book 7 being out in time as well.

Recent interviews with GRRM have shown however that is well aware of this pressure. Let's hope the success of ADWD as well as the praise for the series and everything it has created spurs him into a frantic endeavour..

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    I would say that that is the absolute latest the book has to be published in order for their to be a chance of book 7 being out in time as well.
    I'm still a bit skeptical that 7 will get it done. I think its possible, but that the final two would be extraordinarily packed to get there.

You must not have looked very hard. The thread for The Winds of Winter is here.

He already started Winds quite some time ago and it's filled out a bit because some parts of Dragons got moved into it. Unlike Dragon/Crow, these last two books are not about material he didn't plan to write that much about, but is more stuff he's had planned for some time. None of this guarantees that he won't run into problems or rewrite sections, but the Mereen knot is done with
    Dragons.

And Winds was included in the list of stuff he's doing. But really, why is he giving a list of the stuff he's doing at this point? He knows what that's going to do. The man has to learn to stop babbling. J.K. Rowling knew how to be quiet.

"Dime Store Rock"
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    You must not have looked very hard. The thread for The Winds of Winter is here.
    Lol alritey.

Edit: Thanks for the replies everyone.

P.S. I didn't even think about the possibility of there being an 8th book :P

I really hope it doesn't take another 6 years. It would be one thing if there was a bit of resolution in ADWD, but the main plots were left on cliffhanger endings.

It's scary (for me) to think that if it takes around 6 years for the Winds of Winter, and then another 6 years or so for the seventh book. That's 12 years from now. I'll be 48 years old by the time a series is done that I started when I was just a bit past my 20th birthday ...