Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I really hope it doesn't take another 6 years. It would be one thing if there was a bit of resolution in ADWD, but the main plots were left on cliffhanger endings.

It's scary (for me) to think that if it takes around 6 years for the Winds of Winter, and then another 6 years or so for the seventh book. That's 12 years from now. I'll be 48 years old by the time a series is done that I started when I was just a bit past my 20th birthday ...

"Dime Store Rock"
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    You must not have looked very hard. The thread for The Winds of Winter is here.
    Lol alritey.

Edit: Thanks for the replies everyone.

P.S. I didn't even think about the possibility of there being an 8th book :P

"Dime Store Rock"
    I know two months is like 5 minutes in GRRM time, but are there any updates on his progress or anything worth noting?

I just ordered A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. I'm officially hooked on this series

Quote Originally Posted by Asimovking View Post
    I know two months is like 5 minutes in GRRM time, but are there any updates on his progress or anything worth noting?

I just ordered A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. I'm officially hooked on this series
    Last I heard officially he said sometime in the early part of 2021.

jk

or am i?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asimovking View Post
    He's said that he's not even starting the book until the new year (2012).

"Dime Store Rock"

Thanks. I believe he already had some of it written (like 4 chapters), but yeah.

Martin was interviewed at a Jets game saying that he sees himself working on the series for another 10 years at least. Ouch. Stolen from EndofDiscOne on GameFAQs Books and Literature.

Source

Quote Originally Posted by Raven of SD View Post
    Martin was interviewed at a Jets game saying that he sees himself working on the series for another 10 years at least. Ouch. Stolen from EndofDiscOne on GameFAQs Books and Literature.

Source
    To be fair. He was mostly speaking towards the TV show. They are doing each season as each book. Meaning there are 7books, so that's 7years. I don't think he was saying "it's going to take 10years to finish the next 2books".

Yeah, GRRM has said several times - somewhat over-optimistically I think - that he sees the TV series going for ten seasons due to the length and complexity of doing an adaptation of the books. However, I think pretty much everyone agrees that's rather over-optimistic, and it'll be more like 6-7 seasons, likely moving further and further away from the books as they develop.

He also says in the same interview that he wrote the first scene of AGoT fifteen years ago, when we know it was more than twenty (in the summer of 1991), so he's clearly speaking off-the-cuff and not being razor-sharp accurate

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    GRRM has released a sample chapter from The Winds of Winter, for those who are interested. I don't think I can resist...!

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    I don't think I can resist...!
    I couldn't. Thanks for the link.

Me neither. That was some good excerpt.

Blog Entries
    I realize that I am totally ... hook, line, and sinker... captivated by the story and the characters in ASoIaF so I am clearly biased but that sample was among the most enjoyable reads I've had in a while. I guess that's why I end up getting so impatient for the next book. As much as I enjoy his work I don't want Sanderson to have to finish this series too.

"Dime Store Rock"
    Well it is officially 2012. Let's hope Martin is writing as we speak

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    His March 1st blog update indicates that very little progress has probably been made on the new book in 2012 as well. He's currently working on 5 projects he says, one of which he definitly needs to finish before he goes to the UK in early April. The other 4 were due months ago he says, which leads one to believe that he is currently not working on Winds of Winter as that is not one of those projects due months ago.

Now on top of that, Martin's appearances page shows that his calendar until September is stuffed to the brim with trips to several conventions, a writer's workshp, trips first to Portugal and then later to Spain and then ending in Worldcon in September. Since we know GRRM does not write away from home at all, that is pretty much a guarantee of as good as zero progress on the new book for spring and summer.

After that his plate looks clean at last for some writing, nothing scheduled at this point until March, although that is deceptive. We know GRRM has complained that he didn't get to attend the shooting of season 2 of Game of Thrones due to his busy 2011 and that he intends to remedy that next time around, so trips to Europe in the Fall are very likely I would say.

So yeah. This one is a long, long way off indeed. If you would make the reasonable but very optimistic assumption that writing this book is going to take two years of good writing at the very least, you'd be looking at Late 2014 for the novel's completion, and thus a 2015 publication at the very best. Especially considering that this is going to be a (very) large book that puts all the POV's back together in one book again, a feat not pulled off in more than a decade.
    Last edited by Mithfânion; March 6th, 2012 at 01:45 PM.