Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    They could do. The variances between the TV show and book are relatively modest so far, but the butterfly effect means that all these small changes will gather strength and cumulatively make the TV show rather different to the books by the later seasons. Even GRRM has said he expects this to happen.
    This is a common occurence when manga is adapted into anime, and happened, for example, in the first anime adaptation of Full Metal Alchemist.

They could do. The variances between the TV show and book are relatively modest so far, but the butterfly effect means that all these small changes will gather strength and cumulatively make the TV show rather different to the books by the later seasons. Even GRRM has said he expects this to happen.
    It's not without precedent. True Blood has already veered pretty wildly from the books, and the Scott Pilgrim movie had a different resolution to the story than what eventually appeared in the comic, since Bryan Lee O'Malley hadn't finished the final volume in the series when the film was released.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    GRRM is interviewed in Rolling Stone magazine this month. He was asked how far along he is with TWOW, and he said he's not as far as he'd like to be. He's written about 200 pages of an eventual 1,500.

Let's hope he picks up the pace, or it'll be another 7 years...

I hope the next song of ice and fire book comes out in less than 5 years of waiting. I really enjoy the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    GRRM is interviewed in Rolling Stone magazine this month. He was asked how far along he is with TWOW, and he said he's not as far as he'd like to be. He's written about 200 pages of an eventual 1,500.

Let's hope he picks up the pace, or it'll be another 7 years...
    The problem so far is that GRRM has not had a lot of time to work on TWoW. He had about 100 MS pages left over from ADWD but after promo work for that and the TV show, he basically had a narrow window in the New Year and then in the last couple of weeks to write new material. That he's produced 100 further MS pages in such a short space of time is good news. That he's only managed to do so because of other responsibilities is less encouraging.

If he gets a long, dedicated block of time to work on the book, I suspect we will see much more rapid progress than on ADWD (where he basically went backwards for the first two years of working on the book). The issue is when such a block of time will appear.

I'm still shooting for Christmas 2015 as the publication date, but I would not be surprised at all to have to roll this back into 2016. Now that promo work for S2 and ADWD is well and truly over, we should get a better handle on his progress rate over the next few months.

The problem so far is that GRRM has not had a lot of time to work on TWoW. He had about 100 MS pages left over from ADWD but after promo work for that and the TV show, he basically had a narrow window in the New Year and then in the last couple of weeks to write new material. That he's produced 100 further MS pages in such a short space of time is good news. That he's only managed to do so because of other responsibilities is less encouraging.

If he gets a long, dedicated block of time to work on the book, I suspect we will see much more rapid progress than on ADWD (where he basically went backwards for the first two years of working on the book). The issue is when such a block of time will appear.

I'm still shooting for Christmas 2015 as the publication date, but I would not be surprised at all to have to roll this back into 2016. Now that promo work for S2 and ADWD is well and truly over, we should get a better handle on his progress rate over the next few months.
    I think everyone here and elsewhere is pretty familiar with GRRM's progress rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
    I think everyone here and elsewhere is pretty familiar with GRRM's progress rate.
    Again, no, they're actually not. Martin was a screenwriter on several t.v. shows. It's not at all impossible for him to make progress. But the two last books that took so long were books that originally were not supposed to exist, were then meant to link up the first trilogy to a second trilogy (which is now going to be a duology,) as one book that then had to be two books, and had numerous unusual problems to doing them. I don't expect Martin to be super fast on the last two books, but the situations are not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Again, no, they're actually not. Martin was a screenwriter on several t.v. shows. It's not at all impossible for him to make progress. But the two last books that took so long were books that originally were not supposed to exist, were then meant to link up the first trilogy to a second trilogy (which is now going to be a duology,) as one book that then had to be two books, and had numerous unusual problems to doing them. I don't expect Martin to be super fast on the last two books, but the situations are not the same.
    Wow, wild stuff, though what I actually read was Blah, Blah, Blah, Yadda Yadda Yadda. Nothing you posted is either new or unique.

I'll rephrase my post, I believe anyone on this forum who has an interest in the writings of GRRM, are mildly familiar with the detractors and defenders arguments on why GRRM writes at a less than optimal pace.
    Better?

You know when someone's trying to make a point?

But they're just kinda childish and snippy and nasty with it?

So you just kinda' avoid them?

...That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
    Wow, wild stuff, though what I actually read was Blah, Blah, Blah, Yadda Yadda Yadda. Nothing you posted is either new or unique.

I'll rephrase my post, I believe anyone on this forum who has an interest in the writings of GRRM, are mildly familiar with the detractors and defenders arguments on why GRRM writes at a less than optimal pace.
    Better?
    Yes, thank you.

"Dime Store Rock"

I take that 100 MS page burst as a good sign. Meaning I think he has a much better idea of what to do now after the AFFC/ADWD stuff. He is back to what he originally planned to write. Therefore everything is coming to him easier. Now it's about him relaxing and doing his other projects so he doesn't get burned out. That will be the majority of the "delay" now.

....too optimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Asimovking View Post
    ....too optimistic?
    Yes. People have spent years saying, "okay GRRM is past the hard parts, it will be smooth sailing from here." But it never is. I long ago gave up counting on these books to come out. So if the next book does come out it will be a bonus.

"Dime Store Rock"
    Quote Originally Posted by End Of Disc One View Post
    Yes. People have spent years saying, "okay GRRM is past the hard parts, it will be smooth sailing from here." But it never is. I long ago gave up counting on these books to come out. So if the next book does come out it will be a bonus.
    I started reading book 1 in like November. So I'm new to this waiting thing. My only counter is the material in AFFC/ADWD wasn't originally planned, this was.

Will it matter? We shall see.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    If he gets a long, dedicated block of time to work on the book, I suspect we will see much more rapid progress than on ADWD (where he basically went backwards for the first two years of working on the book). The issue is when such a block of time will appear
    Presumably after September, when the summer full of cons and other events has come and gone. His schedule looks clear from Fall to April 2013. I hope for the best, and I hope for dedication and a willingness to apply his craft.

Okay, this did make me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI