Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cowboys and Aliens

Who's excited by this movie coming up this summer?

DL

I will give it a go at some point just to see what they do with Harrison Ford. It looks all right and I know John Favreau is way into it.

I found a script called Cowboys and Aliens, it has its own Facebook page (called, appropriately, cowboys and aliens screenplay). Here's the link from FB:

http://kvisit.com/Sx7qhAQ

Be interested to know what people think... is this the source material for the graphic novel and film?

dl

Saw the trailer on TV the other night. Looks pretty cool.

and yet more source material - "Wayout West", a comic that came out in 2002.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    You're pretty keen on this film aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    You're pretty keen on this film aren't you?
    Well... it's getting a lot of press here in the US but nobody's talking about where the original idea came from.

martinelillycrop martielillycrop's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    TBH I thought someone was having a larf when I saw this advertised. I suppose with James Bond and Han Solo both in it, it should be good, but I dunno...

Does anyone know if it's set off-Earth (a la Firefly) or in the past (a la the awful High Plains Invaders)? If the latter, surely there'd be something in the history books about it? Or are we talking conspiracy theory here?

Quote Originally Posted by martielillycrop View Post
    TBH I thought someone was having a larf when I saw this advertised. I suppose with James Bond and Han Solo both in it, it should be good, but I dunno...

Does anyone know if it's set off-Earth (a la Firefly) or in the past (a la the awful High Plains Invaders)? If the latter, surely there'd be something in the history books about it? Or are we talking conspiracy theory here?
    It is set in the old west. The characters and the aliens are both fictional. I don't think there is anything inheirently problematic with setting any alien invasion story in the old west over modern day.

It is actually an entertaining action movie, sure there are a couple of eye rolling moments, but I enjoyed the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    It is set in the old west. The characters and the aliens are both fictional. I don't think there is anything inheirently problematic with setting any alien invasion story in the old west over modern day.

It is actually an entertaining action movie, sure there are a couple of eye rolling moments, but I enjoyed the ride.
    Agreed, Jim. Nothing wrong with it at all.

As for the eye-rolling moments... how about the entire notion of a highly advanced, space-faring civilization coming umpteen gazillion miles to mine gold on a planet full of pesky "insects" (since we're told this was their reason for being here, and no other), when all they'd have needed to do was drop in on virtually any uninhabited rocky planet to do so, or even just mine the asteroid belt of this or any other solar system?

When your bad guys don't have a solid premise, you don't have much of a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Lurpa View Post
    Agreed, Jim. Nothing wrong with it at all.

As for the eye-rolling moments... how about the entire notion of a highly advanced, space-faring civilization coming umpteen gazillion miles to mine gold on a planet full of pesky "insects" (since we're told this was their reason for being here, and no other), when all they'd have needed to do was drop in on virtually any uninhabited rocky planet to do so, or even just mine the asteroid belt of this or any other solar system?

When your bad guys don't have a solid premise, you don't have much of a movie.
    I agree with that. you need a well motivated villian. Coming here to steal our gold is just a cut above they've come here to steal our water.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I agree with that. you need a well motivated villian. Coming here to steal our gold is just a cut above they've come here to steal our water.
    And arguably a cut above at that, Jim.

At least the aliens in the original script that I linked to in an earlier post, and from which the graphic novel was shamelessly ripped off, came here to eat people!

This would have a been a pretty great Western if it hadn't been for all the damn aliens getting in the way. And yeah, the gold thing is stupid, especially considering they could have done it without kidnapping humans at all. I blogged about the film here. In short, great cast let down by a bad script.