Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar

Can't We All Just Get Along? :)

I've recently noticed a lot of members debating why one specific author is better than another. Martin fans bashing Jordan, Jordan fans bashing Martin, Rothfuss fans bashing Hobb, Hobb fans bashing Erikson, etc.

I guess this is nothing new, but it makes me wonder why we feel such a need to compare authors and rank them as if it's a simple matter of one being "better" than another. In my opinion, most of the authors discussed on these forums have different strengths and bring different talent to the genre. Isn't that a good thing? After all, I think we can all agree that no one would want to see the fantasy genre return to the old days (when many authors were more or less imitating Tolkien).

I think fantasy has never been so rich and diverse. Martin brings phenomenal characterization and intrigue. Erikson brings insanely epic battles. Hobb brings powerful emotional connection. Kay explores rich themes. Abercrombie combines humor and great action sequences. Jordan brought world building to the next level, inspiring many to follow in his footsteps. Even authors who have gone out of fashion, like Eddings or Brooks, had their merits.

In fact, pretty much every fantasy author I've read had something unique to bring to the table... except Goodkind, of course. (Kidding, kidding... I actually enjoyed the first two books in that series, when I first read them 12 years ago).

My point is, why all the ranking and competition?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Human nature, and no we can't.

I agree wholeheartedly, but think it's just human nature that the arguments will happen (especially considering the many passionate people who post here!)

After all, some of the threads are all about discussing the merits or let downs of a book or author, and when someone's opinion is completely the opposite of another, there's a good chance there's gonna be fireworks.

I think it's all Ok as long as it doesn't denigrate into name calling, cursing, etc (but sometimes that's hard for some too).

An all around good person ChronoSerge's Avatar
    Because the world is full of whiners, and it's just something we have to live with like Alien 3. Most people just respect difference in opinion and move on, but the ones that don't, tend to be very loud about it.

Unreasonable reasoner
    These are by far the most tame forums I've ever been a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by chokipokilo View Post
    Agreed. People just need to learn not to take it personally if someone doesn't like their favourite author. I think the mods are on top of it and there's currently not a problem.

By the way, if anyone likes I'll post a definitive ranking list of authors from best to worst, which can then be used as a reference to instantly resolve any future arguments. That seems like the logical way to calm the tides of this brewing war.

As Choki pointed out, this site is generally tame with regards to debates, but I think it's mostly just conflicts between fans of the heavy hitters of fantasy, as I've not seen it as often in SF or Horror.

I've not seen a Moon vs Modesitt, Jr. debate, though. That's surprising

I've got an approach to books, that I use for music, art, video games, tv, etc. Just because it isn't for me, doesn't mean its bad. You'll almost never see me say that a book is horrible, or poorly written. I'm not educated well enough to make that judgement. I might say that the book isn't for me, or that I had a hard time getting into it, but generally not that it is bad. And I think the term I hate the most is "overrated". Just because you didn't enjoy it, doesn't mean that others won't find it highly entertaining.

I take issue with that bold faced statement. Merits? Eddings? Do tell!

Modesitt sure has published a truckload of books, I read like 3 of 4 of his recluse novels more than 10 years ago-- I liked the first two I think, but I don't remember them terribly well.
    Nobody seems to talk about him here, though it appears he is still publishing even today.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    I take issue with that bold faced statement. Merits? Eddings? Do tell!

Modesitt sure has published a truckload of books, I read like 3 of 4 of his recluse novels more than 10 years ago-- I liked the first two I think, but I don't remember them terribly well.
    Nobody seems to talk about him here, though it appears he is still publishing even today.
    When you're a certain age, and reading his books for the first time, Eddings is like literary catnip. I'm not ashamed to say that if it weren't my discovery of the Belgariad and the Drizzt books when I was thirteen, I may not be a fantasy reader today. I've definitely moved on, and don't really want to revisit those works for fear of destroying perfectly good nostalgia, but at a certain time, they were just what I was looking for.

As for the main topic of this thread, people seem to have an instinctual need to rank things. When someone else has a different ranking, it can result in conflict. I enjoy most of the "big names" discussed here for varying reasons and to varying degrees, but I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about who's "better." As was mentioned upthread a bit, every author aside from the basest hack has something to bring to the table.

But yes, these forums are extremely mild compared to some I've seen. It's nice, really.

I'm with Evil Agent here. A lot of people seem to think that to be a true fan of something, you have to hate its competitors. For example, a lot of Martin fans don't like it when you say Malazan is the best fantasy series. Personally I'm a diehard fan of Erikson, Martin, and Jordan, and I enjoy most books that I read. I find Rothfuss terribly overrated but I would still recommend his books because I realize so many other people love them.

Same here. The moderators really keep things in check. The drama that's been going on here the past couple weeks with 3rdI is nothing compared to what you would see on any other board.

Did someone mention that Jim Butcher is not the best eva? Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    I do I'm slowly ramping up to get through the Imager Portfolio and Saga of Recluce, and hopefully then the Corean Chronicles and Spellsong Cycle, and that's before I even think of tackling his sci-fi work.

He's on about 50 books now, I think, but I could be wrong.

Agreed. The mods run a tight ship here, thus preventing unending pissing contests and flame-up wars that you often find elsewhere...

Patrick