Theodore Sturgeon - Short story question

Hey guys, need help with title of the short story written by Theodore Sturgeon. I can't remember in which book it was, it's either The Ultimate Egoist, Microcosmic God or Killdozer.

Anyway, the story is about two sailors I think, one is small quiet guy and he's being pushed around by another guy (think he spills some drink on his head). So this tiny guy produces a knife and tells the bully that he will kill him in his sleep. In the end bully jumps in the ocean. That's all I can remember

Thanks in advance

Hmm not sure it is any of the three...

Killdozer at the end they jump into an ocean and hear a child but it's a man and a woman and they jumped in after someone (I remember a submarine).

and Microcosmic God ends up with two people at the end a scientist and i believe a banker after three others that survived a blast died.

I have a copy of The Ultimate Egoist and haven't touched it in a while but I flipped through it and didn't see anything about it.

On a side note, does anyone else read Sturgeon's work like the voice from the original Twilight Zone?

Faust: Wish I had an answer, but I don't. Have you tried looking as www.isfdb.com, see if the contents of the collections you mention are listed and, if so, if a title rings a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Yezarul View Post
    Hmm not sure it is any of the three...

Killdozer at the end they jump into an ocean and hear a child but it's a man and a woman and they jumped in after someone (I remember a submarine).

and Microcosmic God ends up with two people at the end a scientist and i believe a banker after three others that survived a blast died.

I have a copy of The Ultimate Egoist and haven't touched it in a while but I flipped through it and didn't see anything about it.

On a side note, does anyone else read Sturgeon's work like the voice from the original Twilight Zone?
    Interesting. Ray Bradbury has cited Sturgeon as an influence; Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont cited Bradbury as an influence and inspiration; and Matheson and Beaumont were script writers for the original Twilight Zone. Certainly there was a breed of fantasy at the time that Serling and his writers tapped into, and I think it stemmed from Unknown, John W. Campbell, Jr.'s fantasy magazine that ran from 1939 to 1943. That was where a few of Sturgeon's better known early stories appeared; for example, "It" and "Shottle Bop". TZ was such a prominent example of that flowering of that kind of fantasy that, thinking about it, I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that you "hear" even stories that pre-date the show as though narrated in Rod Serling's voice.

Randy M.