Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I can love you, Fitz.

Unhappy After Hobb...Protagonist and Relationships.

After reading Hobb's Farseer&&Fool series, I'm hard put to find a series where i can find the likes of a relationship between Fitz and the Fool. I keep picking up series after series, looking for that kind of relationship where the main character grows to love someone so essential to his development, and who would do anything for them.

The only problem is, the only other place you can usually find that is in the main character's love interest - i.e. the princess or something cliche...
    Are there any suggestions of single books or trilogies with the complex character relationship Hobb created between Fitz and the Fool?

Some of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books come to mind, for the bond between Herald and Companion, but I'm looking more along the lines of human-to-human, without the love-interest.

Plus, I'm still grieving about Fitz and the Fool.
    Will anything cure this heartache? Hahah.

Thinking of picking up George RR Martin's AsoIaF. I've heard good things, however I enjoy books where you bond to a single character that isn't precisely the main one.

Thanks, guyss.

Though not exactly complex or in the vein on the farseer trilogy, one series that has stood out for me in terms of relationship between the protagonists are the books by Scott Lynch. Somehow that kinship and close bond between Locke & Jean have always touched me.

I can love you, Fitz.
    Which books of his? He's actually on my to-read list, and I'm heading out to Barnes today. I think the book on my list is Lies of Locke Lamora - i like the whole thief business. How's the book itself, though?

Sighh.

It's just so hard to find love between two characters that isn't romantic, save for Frodo and Sam, and Fitz and the Fool.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Lies of Locke Lamora is the first book in a series that is currently two books long. Can be read as a stand alone though and is a good read.

Oh, do you know how annoying it is to read in the font you are choosing to use?? What's up with that.

I can love you, Fitz.
    Better, with the font?

And yeah, i went to Barnes and Noble and it seemed like a good read.
    The plotline isn't too cliche, is it?

I'm afraid I can't help with book suggestions, but I just wanted to say I appreciated reading about a such a deep non-sexual relationship too. It was refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golden View Post
    Better, with the font?

And yeah, i went to Barnes and Noble and it seemed like a good read.
    The plotline isn't too cliche, is it?
    I'd say there haven't been many fantasy novels I've read with a storyline like The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's type of story is more closely related to films like Oceans 11.

And yeah, the relationship between Jean and Locke is very close and, in my case, the sort you hope to never have the misfortune of stumbling across slashfic for.

Two options to consider, I think, and those better read in both series can expand on it with a yea or nay: Michael Sullivan's The Riyria Revelations featuring Royce and Hadrian and Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. I have read a limited amount of both and there is a good companionship to be found in both, but... someone might have something else to say.

Martin is a bit wider in scope than Hobb, but he treats his characters with the same care (i.e. he's equally tortuous to them). Don't get me wrong, I love A Song of Ice and Fire, but it isn't a one-for-one comparison with Hobb.

I found Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars to be have a similar feel. Granted, I haven't finished the series, but they both evoked a similar feeling in me.

What about Hobb's Liveship series? Set in the same world and just as emotionally gripping.

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series could work for you, too.

If you like Hobb, you'll likely enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold. Check out Curse of Chalion.

I can love you, Fitz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Martin is a bit wider in scope than Hobb, but he treats his characters with the same care (i.e. he's equally tortuous to them). Don't get me wrong, I love A Song of Ice and Fire, but it isn't a one-for-one comparison with Hobb.

I found Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars to be have a similar feel. Granted, I haven't finished the series, but they both evoked a similar feeling in me.

What about Hobb's Liveship series? Set in the same world and just as emotionally gripping.

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series could work for you, too.
    As far as Martin's concerned; I just started A Song of Ice and Fire, however i'm only a few pages into it, and can't say quite anything yet. How do you feel about the character's relationships in the series, though? I've heard so many good things about Martin, but apparently none of his characters are safe from the noose, so to speak.

As for Hobb's Liveship Traders, after reading the last few chapters in Fool's Fate,
    Spoiler:
    and seeing how he and Fitz just...seperate without any parting words, only a few trinkets; no hugs or final confession of the love they share for each other as friends... and, seeing as how Liveship is set in and around Bingtown, if the Fool appears in any of those books, i'm just going to fall into a bleak depression of some sort.

And I'll definitely take a look into Elliot's and Novik's. After my adventure with Martin, of course.
    Who would you suggest, though, in terms of the relationships characters have to one another?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyloot View Post
    If you like Hobb, you'll likely enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold. Check out Curse of Chalion.
    How're the relationships between characters? I'm looking to fill a huge void in my heart between protagonist and trusty friend, and can't seem to want to pick up anything that won't have something like it.

ASOIAF has great characters, easily as good as that in hobb's novels. but there isn't as much of a bond between the characters like the farseer trilogy. the main characters are constantly being seperated from one another and dying and such which stops such a bond from occurring. not to say there isn't some great relationships and bonds that develop, they just don't endure for as long as the example you mentioned. it's different, there's so many inner conflicts in ASOIAF.

i'd say hobb has some of, if not the best characterization in fantasy however, so it is a tough ask to get something on that level.

these come close though

the lies of locke lamora
    the lions of al rassan
    mistborn
    kushiel's legacy

they come to mind right now anyway. they don't feature relationships of the exact same manner as the farseer trilogy, but they are still very endearing for their own reasons, and quite well done.
    Last edited by TheImp; May 30th, 2010 at 11:29 PM.

I can love you, Fitz.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImp View Post
    ASOIAF has great characters, easily as good as that in hobb's novels. but there isn't as much of a bond between the characters like the farseer trilogy. the main characters are constantly being seperated from one another and dying and such which stops such a bond from occurring. not to say there isn't some great relationships and bonds that develop, they just don't endure for as long as the example you mentioned. it's different, there's so many inner conflicts in ASOIAF.

i'd say hobb has some of, if not the best characterization in fantasy however, so it is a tough ask to get something on that level.

these come close though

the lies of locke lamora
    the lions of al rassan
    mistborn
    kushiel's legacy

they come to mind right now anyway. they don't feature relationships of the exact same manner as the farseer trilogy, but they are still very endearing for their own reasons, and quite well done.
    Good to hear; apparently lies of locke lamora comes highly rated, and it's the top suggestion i've gotten.
    Kushiel's Legacy has come up a few times, too. What, exactly, is that about?

Data Error
    I am going to second "The Curse of Chalion". The relationship between the protagonist and the female-heir is something you may be interested in.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I'll second Lions of Al-Rassan, because it has an interesting bond as well as deep rivalry between two powerful and well-drawn protagonists.

I'll second Lies of Locke Lamora as well.

Finally, you should definitly try Martin's Song of Ice and Fire because it has great depth of character. It's only that the cast is much bigger, but I think you might well like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyloot View Post
    Oh boy, I beg to differ on this one. That book was sleep-inducing for me and nowhere near the quality or the emotional impact of Hobb's books.

Still, you never know. Different strokes for different folks...

Patrick