Hybrid View

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne

Hounded is a debut novel by Kevin Hearne, first of The Iron Druid Chronicles urban fantasy series. It came to my attention about 2 months ago, and this seems like the urban fantasy type of series I like to read. Recently saw some good reactions to the debut, a bit limited since it hasn't come out yet, so really looking forward to it.

Hounded comes out on May 3, so about a month and a half from now. In addition, he's publishing two more books in the series right after it, the 2nd book being Hexed coming out in June 7, and the third one being June 28 titled Hammered.

For those interested, here's a prequel short story called Clan Rathskeller (credit to Mihir/Hyperstorm). I haven't read it yet:
    http://es.scribd.com/doc/45800350/CL...NE-Short-Story

Atticus O’Sullivan has been running for two thousand years and he’s a bit tired of it. After he stole a magical sword from the Tuatha Dé Danann (those who became the Sidhe or the Fae) in a first century battle, some of them were furious and gave chase, and some were secretly amused that a Druid had the cheek to defy them. As the centuries passed and Atticus remained an annoyingly long-lived fugitive, those who were furious only grew more so, while others began to aid him in secret.

Now he’s living in Tempe, Arizona, the very last of the Druids, far from where the Fae can easily find him. It’s a place where many paranormals have decided to hide from the troubles of the Old World—from an Icelandic vampire holding a grudge against Thor to a coven of Polish witches who ran from the German Blitzkrieg.

Unfortunately, the very angry Celtic god who wants that sword has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power, plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good, old-fashioned luck of the Irish to kick some arse and deliver himself from evil.
    http://www.kevinhearne.com/books

Anyone here planning on reading this?

I'm really hoping to get review copies of at least the first book, the premise sounds interesting and it is nice to see a dog familiar as opposed to cat familiar.

I really love the publisher's strategy, which has proven popular and effective in the past few years, of releasing the author's trilogy/series in successive months.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Been seeing this author's name pop up a lot. Read elsewhere how much Ken (kcf) liked his work.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Been seeing this author's name pop up a lot. Read elsewhere how much Ken (kcf) liked his work.
    Really!? I liked it. Interesting since I haven't read it yet. I kid of course.

I too think it sounds interesting and am actually planning on reading it next. The premise sounds interesting, though still falling into a rather generic UF. But, the reason it stands out to me is that the author is from Arizona (where I live). The first three books are largely set there (in the Phoenix/Tempe area where I lived for 10 years and went to graduate school) and feature a bar I've drank a fair amount at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I'm really hoping to get review copies of at least the first book, the premise sounds interesting and it is nice to see a dog familiar as opposed to cat familiar.

I really love the publisher's strategy, which has proven popular and effective in the past few years, of releasing the author's trilogy/series in successive months.

Completely agree, I love the strategy. Haven't benefited much from it myself, but the few I've tried of this have been good to me. Latest being the Eli Monpress series from Rachel Aaron along with Elemental Assassin from Jennifer Estep.

Though it wasn't evident at first, Ben Aaronovitch is doing the same with the Peter Grant series, one I'm waiting for the 2nd book to arrive to read them together. Third one already seems to be in place to be released later this year.

Seems like a very good strategy to start an Urban Fantasy series since I would think it's easier for an author to come up with 3 books and write them in a timely manner in this sub-genre, than say an Epic Fantasy. But if you have an epic fantasy trilogy already planned, it's worth considering like Night Angel.

Hey B.

I read the first two books, KH's writing is good, the books are fast paced and the story is slightly original in the sense that he has a druid as a protagonist and in his world, almost all mythologies are true and there are different pantheons at work.

I'm looking forward to book 3 and the author has indicated that he has plans for 3 more as well. Hopefully I'll be reviewing them in the forthcoming weeks.

Mihir

Hey Hyperstorm,

I thought he was going to spread the love, in terms of all the pantheons. Doesn't the third book focus on Thor?

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Bastard, I have discovered several great new books because of you. This looks like another one. Thank you!

Read the first few pages of Clan Rathskeller while killing some time and I really enjoyed it. Didn't get far at all, but I enjoyed Hearne's style. I will definitely be finishing the short story and picking up the book once its out. However, such close release dates as the ones you gave usually put me off. They make me wonder if the author has polished the sequels or if they will still be in some stage of editing. I've run into other series with later books that are like this, weak due to having been rushed. I hope that will not be the case for Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Hey Hyperstorm,

I thought he was going to spread the love, in terms of all the pantheons. Doesn't the third book focus on Thor?
    Hi Rob

Yes, he's definitely spreading the myths in each of the books, while the Irish gods get a special mention due to the origins of the protagonist, the others get a fair mention and yes Thor is set to be featured in the third book[If I'm not mistaken there's even a POV chapter from a Norse god, so it very could be Thor himself!)

Plus in the second book there's a lot of set-up for the events of the third book.

Mihir

PS: Please call me Mihir
    Last edited by Hyperstorm; March 20th, 2011 at 09:56 PM.