Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil King
    It always cracks me up when people call Bastard "Bastard".
    But it's easy to remember! Yours too.

I like the short story titles, so I'll probably check them out. I'm a sucker for a funny Druid.

The first book Hounded arrived yesterday with its fancy raised foil type.

The book is VERY short at 292 pages for the novel, plus a sneak peek at the next book.

I suspect Del Rey may wind up omnibifying these books as they did with Novik's Temeraire novels recently, if successful.

Here's Mihir's review:
    http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...us-review.html

Just got a notification that my book shipped, so hopefully it'll arrive soon. Going to read the prequel short story soon.

As for omnibus, it's quite uncommon for urban fantasy titles no?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Been seeing this author's name pop up a lot. Read elsewhere how much Ken (kcf) liked his work.
    Really!? I liked it. Interesting since I haven't read it yet. I kid of course.

I too think it sounds interesting and am actually planning on reading it next. The premise sounds interesting, though still falling into a rather generic UF. But, the reason it stands out to me is that the author is from Arizona (where I live). The first three books are largely set there (in the Phoenix/Tempe area where I lived for 10 years and went to graduate school) and feature a bar I've drank a fair amount at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    As for omnibus, it's quite uncommon for urban fantasy titles no?
    They aren't that uncommon, the Dresden files had its first nine books released as four omnibus editions. Cat Vaughyn's Kitty series also released an omnibus of the first three books. Charlaine Harris had a similar run with her first five books being bunched in two OEs.

I guess most of the popular authors such as Laurell K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, Patricia Briggs had some of their books being released in such fashion.

With KH's IDC, he's currently contracted for 3 books only and the he has planned the series to last for seven or nine books(depending on the success of the books.). An omnibus release maybe next year wouldn't harm the sales and it might also contain the couple of short stories which are currently only featured in the e-book versions of Hounded & Hammered.

Mihir
    Last edited by Hyperstorm; May 1st, 2011 at 08:23 AM.

Just read Clan Rathskeller shot story, it was OK. I'm not much of a short story reader, but you can tell we might have a fun series coming. Going to start Hounded tonight or tomorrow.

Over the weekend I finished up Hounded - it was a fun read and I enjoyed it for it what it is.

As I indicated in my introduction, Hounded is full of some major wish-fulfillment. Atticus is essentially immortal, forever young at 21-years old, has cool magical powers, a witty tongue full of geek-references, can talk to his dog, and has sex with beautiful goddesses. Hearne has essentially admitted as much as he reveals on John Scalzi’s The Big Idea that “Hounded was spawned from an episode of Defiant Drunk Nerd Syndrome”. However, through that revelation you can sense Hearne’s often self-deprecating humor that keeps Hounded from taking itself too seriously.

Wish fulfillment in books can be flat out awful – especially since it often comes out in some form of sexual fantasy. With Hounded, Hearne actually makes the wish fulfillment fun. Hearne spins a good yarn as he gives himself lots of material to use in his imagined world where the modern world is basically as we know it, only myths and legends tend to be true, with gods and goddesses and all other manner of the supernatural actually existing. Don’t think on it too hard as all the impossibilities and inconsistencies will trip you up – keep it at the surface. And on the surface, Hounded is a very entertaining, fast read – the proverbial page-turner – and full of humor and clever homage.

Hounded is a quick and entertaining urban fantasy set in Tempe, Arizona. It’s full of Celtic lore, but in a world where all the old pantheons are real and magical beings seem to pop up everywhere. I enjoyed it very much for what it is and I really look forward to reading more from Hearne – and the good news is that I won’t have to wait long with Hexed coming on June 7th and Hammered on July 5th.

I saw a reference to this book from a post by KatG (yeah, I know there are tons of 'em :P), and I loved it. I thought it was a bit similar to the Dresden Files - you know, a male protag with some humor and power solving problems in his city. +1!

I listened to this recently on audio. It was fine for a light read, but not terribly original or skilfull. I'll probably read the second book, just to see if the author improves any.

I liked Hounded . Lightweight urban fantasy, not especially original but still fresh enough.

It might not be very original, but I don't care a bit about that. I basically only care if it is enjoying to read.

From what I understand the second book Hexed is a bit better than Hounded, but it's Hammered where the series seems to really take off. So looking forward to that as it seems like it'll deal heavily with Thor.

I read Hounded a week or so ago, and certainly enjoyed it, but overall thought it was going to be better. At least I like the overall setup of the series, and the narrator has a fun voice. Certainly the banter by the characters, particularly with the dog is the best part so far. I just found it a bit too straightforward, and when twists came they didn't have much bite, but that's alright since it was a fun read regardless.

Will certainly be paying attention with what he does with book for particularly with the feedback he receives from these 3 books.

Here's an interview for those interested from FBC:
    http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...terviewed.html

Certainly the banter by the characters, particularly with the dog is the best part so far.
    Actually I think there is a big missed opportunity here. The dog is too anthropomorphic. Would be more interesting to have some more non-human touch to it, not just dumb, but bit alien. Kind of like Alex the parrot.

Quote Originally Posted by s271 View Post
    Actually I think there is a big missed opportunity here. The dog is too anthropomorphic. Would be more interesting to have some more non-human touch to it, not just dumb, but bit alien. Kind of like Alex the parrot.
    I actually like it this way, they have some good banter going on which reminds me a lot of Loiosh of the Vald Taltos series.

I actually like it this way, they have some good banter going on which reminds me a lot of Loiosh of the Vald Taltos series.
    Don't know why, but Loiosh don't feel like human so much to me. He is kind of reptilian-cold. Guess that's what the writer's skill mean