Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sic's mom View Post
    I just finished "Hounded" yesterday and will be starting "Hexed" later today. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the next two. Glad to see he will be coming out with more. I really like Atticus and the Druid angle, but I can tell Oberon is going to be a favorite secondary character. When I was done with "Hounded" all I could think of was how much I liked it and how much it reminded me of Harry Dresden Files. And since I love Harry that is a good thing. I have been telling all my friends to read this. Looking forward to more.
    If you have any more series which remind you of the Dresden Files, please tell me. :P

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    If you have any more series which remind you of the Dresden Files, please tell me. :P
    I'm currently listening to the Felix Castor books, and enjoying them a lot. They are roughly in the same general vein as Dresden, but grimmer and more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I'm currently listening to the Felix Castor books, and enjoying them a lot. They are roughly in the same general vein as Dresden, but grimmer and more realistic.
    Ah...I have to say that there was a bit too much language in the first book (I only made it partly through). The MC didn't have much useful magic powers either. :P

I often lack fantasy (and fiction in general) because it is different than the real world. Extremely realistic/dark books don't score much points with me.

Ah...I have to say that there was a bit too much language in the first book (I only made it partly through). The MC didn't have much useful magic powers either. :P

I often lack fantasy (and fiction in general) because it is different than the real world. Extremely realistic/dark books don't score much points with me.
    Well, to each their own. I've been reading books like Abercrombie and Cook lately, so the language in the Carey books doesn't faze me at all. And when I want something that's significantly different from the real world, I choose something like high fantasy or epic fantasy rather than urban fantasy. But whatever floats yer boat!

Well, to each their own. I've been reading books like Abercrombie and Cook lately, so the language in the Carey books doesn't faze me at all. And when I want something that's significantly different from the real world, I choose something like high fantasy or epic fantasy rather than urban fantasy. But whatever floats yer boat!
    Well, some UF series are able to not depress me. :P Felix Castor is not a part of that group.

Without language, how would the characters verbally communicate with each other?

Well, some UF series are able to not depress me. :P Felix Castor is not a part of that group.
    Well, it's noir. That should kinda be a clue. Some folks don't appreciate noir, but you can't really fault it for being what it intends to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Without language, how would the characters verbally communicate with each other?
    As in bad language...

"Well, it's noir. That should kinda be a clue. Some folks don't appreciate noir, but you can't really fault it for being what it intends to be. "

Hmm. Not all have been as depressing to me. The Dresden Files is sometimes described as "noir", but he has friends. It also seems lighter.

Hmm. Not all have been as depressing to me. The Dresden Files is sometimes described as "noir", but he has friends. It also seems lighter.
    "Noir" means "black". A book or movie is "noir" in direct proportion to how dark it is. The Dresden Files has some elements of noir in it, but it isn't true noir fiction. If I knew the French word for "gray", I might label it that instead.

Dresden, in fact, is kinda trying to straddle the line between urban and epic fantasy -- and it gets farther and farther away from the urban end of the spectrum with every book. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up!

edited to add -- oh, and btw -- Felix has friends too!

"Noir" means "black". A book or movie is "noir" in direct proportion to how dark it is. The Dresden Files has some elements of noir in it, but it isn't true noir fiction. If I knew the French word for "gray", I might label it that instead.

Dresden, in fact, is kinda trying to straddle the line between urban and epic fantasy -- and it gets farther and farther away from the urban end of the spectrum with every book. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up!

edited to add -- oh, and btw -- Felix has friends too!
    Hmm, maybe noir isn't for me. Considering how deep I sometimes "immerse" myself in fiction, reading depressing novels doesn't make me feel great.
    Last edited by LaserWraith; June 18th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.

Hmm, maybe noir isn't for me. Considering how deep I sometimes "immerse" myself in fiction, reading depressing novels doesn't make me feel great.
    And there's nothing wrong with that. As I said in my earlier post, to each their own.

If you want to try out something REALLY depressing some day, pick up a book like The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve. IMHO she's a wonderful writer -- but you'll feel like slitting your own wrists when you finish the book. Yikes....

And on the other end of the spectrum -- when I've read something depressing or just anxiety-provoking, I sometimes like to reread a Vorkosigan book next in order to cleanse my palate. They are not all sweetness and light, but they're so wonderfully written that they cheer me up in short order.

Finished Hexed the other day and loved it. I thought it was much better than the first one, though I would think most would think of it as about the same. Looking forward to Hammered and if it indeed deals with Thor as the title suggests then it should be great. Comes out in July 5 if not mistaken.

In other news, Orbit UK picked up the series recently, and the books should start coming out in September.
    http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...ires-iron.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Finished Hexed the other day and loved it. I thought it was much better than the first one, though I would think most would think of it as about the same. Looking forward to Hammered and if it indeed deals with Thor as the title suggests then it should be great. Comes out in July 5 if not mistaken.
    I also liked Hexed better than Hounded. I thought Hounded read like a first novel, which of course it was. While IMHO some of the writing was still clunky in Hexed, it seemed to me that Hearne relaxed into it more. It turned out to be a lot of fun.

I'm nearly through with Hammered now. I gotta say, there's something infectiously fun about these books. Hammered still has clunky prose, and parts of the book seem almost retconned from Hexed (I won't spoil here), but I gotta admit it *is* fun.

Hammered is on it's way, and can't wait till it get here. Though my first impressions of Hounded were a bit of disappointment, I changed my stance a bit since as you say it was fun, and it was a debut novel but I my expectations tarnished it a bit... something I try to avoid.