Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 217
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Hammered is on it's way, and can't wait till it get here. Though my first impressions of Hounded were a bit of disappointment, I changed my stance a bit since as you say it was fun, and it was a debut novel but I my expectations tarnished it a bit... something I try to avoid.
    I finished Hammered just now. Yikes, he shoulda put a cliff-hanger on Hexed, NOT on the book that'll have a big gap before the next one! Grumble mumble.....

    I wasn't all that impressed with Hounded, but it had some good ideas and it was okay. Then I tried to not like Hexed, but it was so much fun that it won me over. Now Hammered. Same problems as the others -- Hearne is just not a good prose stylist -- and to me the humor seems a bit forced at times in this one -- but there are genuinely funny bits, and once again Hearne does manage to make it fun. I'm annoyed at the near-retconning, but I may be overreacting on that part. I'm also annoyed by something that Atticus did in Hexed which determined the course of Hammered and will end up screwing up the rest of his life in a big way, but that is the character being stupid rather than the author failing. I do wish that Hearne was a better craftsman, because I think the books could be more effective if he were just better with his prose, but I guess ya can't have everything!

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    164
    I just finished the third book last night. They aren't the best written books I have ever read but they are a lot of fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I'm also annoyed by something that Atticus did in Hexed which determined the course of Hammered and will end up screwing up the rest of his life in a big way, but that is the character being stupid rather than the author failing.
    Contrarius, I feel the same way as you here and I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about. Though I get the sense the everything is about to get broader and deeper. I'm not a fan of comparing everything to The Dresden Files but those books really took off after book 3. The world Harry lived in seemed to expand in almost every way. I don't think we will have a Druid White Council here but after finishing Hammered, I can't help but feel like things are about to shift from a shorter, more contained, story to something with a longer evolving plot line.

    I'm no reviewer or blogger, and I might just be hoping here, but that's my two cents.

  3. #63
    I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    587
    I just finished Hammered the other day and have to say I enjoyed it. I have started recommending these books to some of my friends. Not the best writing in the world and won't change things that we have going on in our lives but a lot of fun to read. And for me that is what I am looking for. Looking forward to Tricked this next year. I hate the fact he left a huge cliffhanger at the end of this one

  4. #64

    Red face

    I'm about half through Hammered (I got the ebook a day after release, but was too busy reading a sci-fi series), and I love the humor. I don't always like the way some religions are belittled (I mean, Jesus drinking beer and saying cuss words? ... Doesn't quite fit), but I guess that happens in some urban fantasy.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    I'm about half through Hammered (I got the ebook a day after release, but was too busy reading a sci-fi series), and I love the humor. I don't always like the way some religions are belittled (I mean, Jesus drinking beer and saying cuss words? ... Doesn't quite fit), but I guess that happens in some urban fantasy.
    Oh, I loved the Jesus scene. And Jesus drank wine, so why not beer?

  6. #66
    I finished Hounded the other day. It read like a Dresden novel except without the really cool "oooh!' moments that make Butcher's books so special. I'm undecided on whether to read any more.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I finished Hounded the other day. It read like a Dresden novel except without the really cool "oooh!' moments that make Butcher's books so special. I'm undecided on whether to read any more.
    Both Hexed and Hammered are better than Hounded. Give em a try.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Oh, I loved the Jesus scene. And Jesus drank wine, so why not beer?
    Hmm...you do have a point about that, but the cursing, I'm not sure about.

    After all, in this series, aren't the "gods" created by belief? Most Christians don't believe in a God who would give everyone some chips because He likes the chips, and one who cusses.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    Hmm...you do have a point about that, but the cursing, I'm not sure about.
    I didn't notice Jesus swearing in Hammered, so I'll have to go back and look at that part again. But the Jesus of the Bible was certainly not all sweetness and light.

    After all, in this series, aren't the "gods" created by belief? Most Christians don't believe in a God who would give everyone some chips because He likes the chips, and one who cusses.
    Oh, I don't know about that. I thought the fish and chips was a funny take on the loaves and fishes idea.

    Lemme go see if I can find the cussing part before I comment on that....

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I didn't notice Jesus swearing in Hammered, so I'll have to go back and look at that part again. But the Jesus of the Bible was certainly not all sweetness and light.
    Oh yes, he did talk about what was just and what wasn't, and some dark things which were to come.

    However, it seems that Hearne's setup is that believers "make" the god and give power. The Jesus in his story doesn't quite fit with what most believers probably think of him.

    This is being a bit picky, I know. I didn't mean to harp on this point much, but since it was brought up...

    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that. I thought the fish and chips was a funny take on the loaves and fishes idea.
    Funny, but it wasn't exactly consistent (if you want me to elaborate, I will).

    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Lemme go see if I can find the cussing part before I comment on that....
    The part I remember was right after the rabbi/sorcerer scene where Atticus got a knife in his back. :P

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post

    However, it seems that Hearne's setup is that believers "make" the god and give power. The Jesus in his story doesn't quite fit with what most believers probably think of him.
    Oh cmon. Most people don't think of Jesus as being black and wearing tie-dye, either. This isn't supposed to be scripture, ya know. Remember, this particular manifestation is just the image of Jesus in ONE guy's head -- he's not supposed to be the sum totality of everyone's belief.

    The part I remember was right after the rabbi/sorcerer scene where Atticus got a knife in his back. :P
    I've just rechecked that section. Here are the only questionable things that Jesus said:

    1. He mentioned that other people had referred to Thor as a "giant douche".
    2. He said that the witch hunters/Hammers of God belonged in the general category of "assholes who do evil sh*t in my name" -- but he notes that he has to give groups like that simple classifications because of the simple human brain he's wearing at that moment.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Oh cmon. Most people don't think of Jesus as being black and wearing tie-dye, either. This isn't supposed to be scripture, ya know. Remember, this particular manifestation is just the image of Jesus in ONE guy's head -- he's not supposed to be the sum totality of everyone's belief.
    Yes, it is the image in Hearne's head. I just didn't think it fit the whole "belief makes the god" thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I've just rechecked that section. Here are the only questionable things that Jesus said:

    1. He mentioned that other people had referred to Thor as a "giant douche".
    2. He said that the witch hunters/Hammers of God belonged in the general category of "assholes who do evil sh*t in my name" -- but he notes that he has to give groups like that simple classifications because of the simple human brain he's wearing at that moment.
    I bet most Christians wouldn't consider Jesus as one to say things like that. And couldn't he have chosen a human brain that didn't need such classifications?


    Ah, it doesn't matter much. My main thought is that it might alienate some people who believe in religions which are sometimes slighted in these books. I still like them a lot, though.

  13. #73
    Jack Bauer Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bastard Books
    Posts
    1,831
    Meh, it's all crap in my opinion. I wonder why it's always the Christians that seem to take real issue when their religion seems a bit slighted (or just depicted a bit different).

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    Yes, it is the image in Hearne's head. I just didn't think it fit the whole "belief makes the god" thing.
    No, in the context of the story it's the image in the head of a guy in the Trippy Hippie store. Remember, not even Atticus recognizes Jesus at first. This manifestation isn't SUPPOSED to be the "standard" version of him -- it's a highly individualized one, and that specific individual is a patron of a Trippy Hippie store.

    I bet most Christians wouldn't consider Jesus as one to say things like that. And couldn't he have chosen a human brain that didn't need such classifications?
    ALL human brains would require some sort of limited classification system, because ALL human brains are limited. But why is it "belittling" or "slighting" religion just because that particular manifestation isn't the most widely stereotyped one? That's the part I'm not understanding here.
    Last edited by Contrarius; July 9th, 2011 at 12:41 PM.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Meh, it's all crap in my opinion. I wonder why it's always the Christians that seem to take real issue when their religion seems a bit slighted (or just depicted a bit different).
    I'm sure many people, not just Christians, would feel a bit upset if someone slights (in their opinion) something they care about. But this might be hard to explain to someone callused.

    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    No, in the context of the story it's the image in the head of a guy in the Trippy Hippie store. Remember, not even Atticus recognizes Jesus at first. This manifestation isn't SUPPOSED to be the "standard" version of him -- it's a highly individualized one, and that specific individual is a patron of a Trippy Hippie store.
    Hmm, I didn't have the idea that the Jesus that talked to Atticus was individualized for Atticus. But I guess I wasn't remembering well.

    But why is it "belittling" or "slighting" religion just because that particular manifestation isn't the most widely stereotyped one? That's the part I'm not understanding here.
    Because, for example, if Jesus is the son of God (or was at least a wise man or prophet), many wouldn't like to see him represented as talking questionably and messing around with people's orders in a restaurant.

    A "particular manifestation [that] isn't the most widely stereotyped one" could easily be one that strips the subject in question of the reason it is important.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •