science fiction book titles/authors.

Hello,

I read 2 books in the 1980's and I can't recall the titles or the authors.

Book 1 involved a being/entity that had evolved and existed inside of a star. That being was named something like, "Wan-to" or "Wan-Tu". WT was able to and did create replicas of itself and those replicas would live in other stars. WT and the replicas were able to manipulate stars, matter and energy to cause supernovas and ETC. Later in the story WT was fighting against the first replica #1 as each became paranoid and wanted to destroy the other. WT created several ability limited replicas of itself to bait out replica #1's location star. The final replica was given an assignment to live in the earth's sun and cause the sun and several stars to begin to move through space at a speed approaching relativistic speed. This movement of the sun caused replica #1 to reveal itself and WT destroyed replica #1.

Does anybody know the book title and author?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradleyswine View Post
    Hello,

I read 2 books in the 1980's and I can't recall the titles or the authors.

Book 1 involved a being/entity that had evolved and existed inside of a star. That being was named something like, "Wan-to" or "Wan-Tu". WT was able to and did create replicas of itself and those replicas would live in other stars. WT and the replicas were able to manipulate stars, matter and energy to cause supernovas and ETC. Later in the story WT was fighting against the first replica #1 as each became paranoid and wanted to destroy the other. WT created several ability limited replicas of itself to bait out replica #1's location star. The final replica was given an assignment to live in the earth's sun and cause the sun and several stars to begin to move through space at a speed approaching relativistic speed. This movement of the sun caused replica #1 to reveal itself and WT destroyed replica #1.

Does anybody know the book title and author?
    'World at the End of Time' by Fredrick Pohl

I did not especially care for it. It was not bad, I just never really got interested in it and the end was boring.

Thank you. The ending was sort of boring I agree. The premise was interesting and I was sort of hoping for a sequel.

My second book I am trying to think of involves an intergalactic war between humans and some alien race. The humans started the war and were losing badly and were eventually forced back to the Sol system and then back to the moon and finally back to the earth. The humans asked an old retired military man to lead the military so he came back out of retirement. The humans built huge underground caverns for their survival and to hangar what spacecraft they had remaining. The alien leader/admiral was "Grand Admiral Shus Sho" or something to that effect. GA SS had the earth bombarded with nukes and when the alien navy attempted to land/invade the earth the human space navy defended by emerging from the great underground caverns.

The war drags on with the humans hanging on and at the end the alien fleet gets recalled due to their being attacked by a neighboring alien kingdom that perceived them as begin weak due to their inability to exterminate the humans. The alien fleet admiral Shus Sho commits suicide at the end of the story and his assistant comments that, "Shus Sho should not have committed suicide as it was not his fault the humans held out like they had. It was because the humans were better than the aliens were."

Do you know the title of this book?