Blog Entries

Ian Rankin lovers?

I discovered Ian Rankin's John Rebus novels during the winter holiday season, and now own all of them, plus the new Matthew Fox story, The Complaints.
    I love Rebus and his "sidekick" Siobhan, but I think Edinburgh is, as Rankin himself has said, the main character. (I bought my hubby a bottle of Lavangoulie, 18 years old, for Christmas!)
    Anyone else here like Rankin, or UK police procedurals/mysteries in general?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanuumea View Post
    I discovered Ian Rankin's John Rebus novels during the winter holiday season, and now own all of them, plus the new Matthew Fox story, The Complaints.
    I love Rebus and his "sidekick" Siobhan, but I think Edinburgh is, as Rankin himself has said, the main character. (I bought my hubby a bottle of Lavangoulie, 18 years old, for Christmas!)
    Anyone else here like Rankin, or UK police procedurals/mysteries in general?

I read Resurrection Men a few years back and liked it.
    I haven't returned to Rebus because I'm simply burnt out on that end of the mystery genre... same with Anne Perry and her Victorian Whodunits, William Monk stories being my first choice, though I enjoyed her Pitt novels almost as much. When in the mood for a mystery I usually turn to a thriller/espionage these days. I'm currently reading Book of Souls by Glenn Cooper... the writing isn't so good, but I'm really digging the story so far.

Aye, I like him too. Rebus is a great character, and Rankin is an expert in bringing his life and surroundings to life. Absorbing stuff.

Other 'policing stuff' i really enjoy is Arthur Conan Doyle, Christie and to a somewhat lesser extent Elisabeth George.

Cheers,

Sfinx.

On a sidenote:

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanuumea View Post
    I bought my hubby a bottle of Lavangoulie, 18 years old, for Christmas!
    Did you mean Lagavulin, or is my knowledge of the life-water just sorely lacking?

Cheers,

Sfinx.

As someone who went to University in Edinburgh, I enjoyed Rankin's books because they describe Edinburgh so well. They are good books, though perhaps a little violent. But not, unfortunately, unrealistically so.