Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nik Perumov

Nik Perumov

Anywone read Nik Perumov??

A russian Author that started with a trilogi continuing the lord of the rings...first as a joke but then it took off (only in russian so far I think).

Then he launched his epos Break-apart Chronicles of which I have read the first book (actually two books in swedish) Diamond Sword, Wooden Sword..

"It has been several centuries already, since the Empire, built by humans, who conquered gnomes, elves, orcs, and Danus, is held with blood and fear. The support of the Throne comes from seven Magic Orders - they have unlimited authority over souls and fates of the inhabiting the country citizens and the emperor himself. But the day of the vengeance is close at hand, and so is the day of the great battle, because in the depth of Drungs Woods a holy sword Immel'storn has been awoken and his Diamond "brother" Dragnir, has been shining brightly in the secret caves of Subterranean Tribe.".

I really enjoy this one (or two). All characters are good-to themselves, but not neccesarily to others. It is shifting between an almost godlike story with many worlds and "normal" charcters trying to cope in a chaotic world where the king is trying to break free from the seven magic orders rule.

Can´t wait for the next translation (so hard to read russian) - in swedish the necromancer, coming in may. - on Niks website "The Keeper of Swords: Birth of the Mage".

"Fess, the native of Valley of Mages and advisor to Emperor of Mel'insk Empire, after the fatal battle of Diamond and Wooden Swords is thrown out into Eviall, one of the worlds of Regulated. Fess has to start everything from the beginning: his memory is distorted, and magic abilities weakened by unknown forces. Time does not wait: prophecies promise fast and terrible end to the his new family. But neither Fess, nor anyone else in the Eviall realizes, that, without their own knowledge, those who are supposed to save worlds had a hand in it - battle mage Klara Khummel' and her disciples, lost in the web of paths inside Betweenreality."

Not shure these books has been translated to english yet but they probably will. He has one book in english - Godsdoom: The Book of Hagen, but I have not read that one yet.

Nik´s website

I was not impressed by a trilogi continuing the lord of the rings. Boring.
    Although I didn't read anything else I am looking forward to reading Break-Apart Chronicles.
    Last edited by Astra_; May 7th, 2008 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astra_ View Post
    I was not impressed by a trilogi continuing the lord of the rings. Borring.
    Although I didn't read anything else I am looking forward to reading Break-Apart Chronicles.
    Have not read that trilogy, just heard about it. But this Break-Apart chronicles according to me after just reading one book shows great promise. Do you read russian or has it been translated to english.

By the way - i think the LOTR trilogy is pretty booring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Smogz View Post
    Have not read that trilogy, just heard about it. But this Break-Apart chronicles according to me after just reading one book shows great promise. Do you read russian or has it been translated to english.

By the way - i think the LOTR trilogy is pretty booring to.
    In Russian.

I didn't hear anything about translation into English of Perumov's books. Only Lukyanenko and his Dozors so far.

Do you mean the LOTR itself is boring or Perumov's trilogy?

In Russian.

I didn't hear anything about translation into English of Perumov's books. Only Lukyanenko and his Dozors so far.

Do you mean the LOTR itself is boring or Perumov's trilogy?
    LOTR itself - i think especially book 2 is to slow for me and I am not partikularly fond of all the gollum-**** that is repeating itself in eternety. But of course it was a while since i read it...like 15 yeard...maybee time to give it another try.

Well. I don't know what to tell then

I love LOTR but disliked Perumov's trilogy.
    LOTR is everything for me. It introduced me to fantasy world. Although the LOTR itself was introduced to me via online text based roleplaying LPmud game some 13 years ago
    I am not one of the fans who re-read LOTR every year or so. I think I have read the book 3 or 4 times and the last time about 3 years ago and the next time maybe in another 5 years. Too many good books are out there to waste time on re-reading. However, I do like it a lot. I even bought recently an extremelly expensive edition of LOTR printed on india paper :P and it is the only book I care to have as a special edition.

Well. I don't know what to tell then

I love LOTR but disliked Perumov's trilogy.
    LOTR is everything for me. It introduced me to fantasy world. Although the LOTR itself was introduced to me via online text based roleplaying LPmud game some 13 years ago
    I am not one of the fans who re-read LOTR every year or so. I think I have read the book 3 or 4 times and the last time about 3 years ago and the next time maybe in another 5 years. Too many good books are out there to waste time on re-reading. However, I do like it a lot. I even bought recently an extremelly expensive edition of LOTR printed on india paper :P and it is the only book I care to have as a special edition.
    I know...I wish i liked it more but things are as they are...nothing to do about it.

Anywone read Nik Perumov??
    If you mean in russian I had. I had enjoyed his first books, but his latest were completely unreadable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by s271 View Post
    If you mean in russian I had. I had enjoyed his first books, but his latest were completely unreadable for me.

His latest was that godsdoom or the ones i talked about: diamond sword, three sword?

"War of the Mage" or something like that.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I read Godsdoom: The Book of Hagen, at least the first few chapters of it and would not recommend it to anyone. Simply very poorly written. Try some sample chapter if you're interested, you can google them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    I read Godsdoom: The Book of Hagen, at least the first few chapters of it and would not recommend it to anyone. Simply very poorly written. Try some sample chapter if you're interested, you can google them.
    I can imagine that. A native russian trying to write in english, I think its better to use translators when youre not that good in a language.

I struggle writing this and I am sure the swedish school system is much better than the russian when it comes to teach english.

I can imagine that. A native russian trying to write in english, I think its better to use translators when youre not that good in a language.

I struggle writing this and I am sure the swedish school system is much better than the russian when it comes to teach english.
    No doubt.
    He needs a pro. translator if wanna be recognised outside of Russia. Lukyanenko is a good example.

Whilst trying to find a pirated copy in English of Godsdoom, me runneth into this thread. And now, me correcteth a few sentiments which have not been quite thought through by those who posted them.

No doubt. He needs a pro. translator if wanna be recognised outside of Russia. Lukyanenko is a good example.
    The book was written in Russian. It was translated into English by translator Liv Bliss - http://wordswithoutborders.org/contributor/liv-bliss/

So you're saying that Vladimir Nabokov, Joseph Conrad, to name a few, should have used translators instead of trying to write directly in English? Wouldn't that have made world literature a richer place, ay?

I read Godsdoom: The Book of Hagen, at least the first few chapters of it and would not recommend it to anyone. Simply very poorly written. Try some sample chapter if you're interested, you can google them
    "Poorly written" in this context can only mean that one's taste would lead one to say that Robert Jordan's Conans, for example, are infinitely better written than Robert Howard's Conans. ...Not much you can say to a person of such a persuasion. This is how fantasy fiction gradually became the province of endless soaps...

...and this concludes my belated contribution to this thread.

I think Perumov is russian version of Salvatore or Terry Goodkind.
    I've tried several of his book and couldn't finish any of them. Though sometimes he has some original ideas.
    My teenage daughter was very fond of him. Now she is not.