Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    If you're a Lannister fan already, do yourself a favour and keep reading. Books 3 and 4 in particular. I will say no more.

OH Yea! Awesome stuff. House Lannister certainly has some engaging and complex charachters.

creatorofPreten
    I am almost to the end of Book one now. I'm still house Lannister, but a few of the Starks are growing on me now. As well as Dany and a few minor characters.

The very best line of all comes from Sansa. I hate her character, but this line was gold!!!!!! I don't know how to do spoiler tags, and I think this is a spoiler free thread, but after that line I am going to find it hard to hate her now.

Quote Originally Posted by creatorofPreten View Post
    I am almost to the end of Book one now. I'm still house Lannister, but a few of the Starks are growing on me now. As well as Dany and a few minor characters.

The very best line of all comes from Sansa. I hate her character, but this line was gold!!!!!! I don't know how to do spoiler tags, and I think this is a spoiler free thread, but after that line I am going to find it hard to hate her now.
    Please share.

Just go [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ]

But don't include spaces in between the brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by creatorofPreten View Post
    I tend to approach things from a much narrower perspective than most people. I do characters, not plots generally, and I tend to focus in on just one or maybe two characters in any story, and then just wade through everything else which to me seems superfluous once I have found my focus.
    This works great if my focus is the or at least a main character. Unfortunately for me right now my focus is on Cersei Lannister. And I have eyes for no one else LOL

So far I have bought the first book, and am about halfway through it now. The book I have is a large softcover, and is a bit awkward for reading, so since I needed the next 3 books I just recently ordered the first 4 in a boxset in paperback.

Besides Cersei, I like Jamie marginally because Cersei claims to love him. And I like Tyrion because he's got attitude, but not enough to want to read about him if there was no Cersei. I guess I am a house Lannister fan. The Starks annoy me with their self righteousness. LOL

I found choosing so many children to be viewpoint characters a bit annoying since these do not appear to be children's books. But it doesn't annoy me enough to quit reading.

I find that I prefer single viewpoint stories to ones which are spread out among so many viewpoints, especially when I am truly not very interested in most of them. I would enjoy the books much more if Cersei became a viewpoint character, but I am not getting my hopes up. At least we get Tywin. And the following books may be different, I don't know.

It seems to be my luck that my favorite characters tend to always have smallish parts. Either I am reading the wrong kind of books or I'm just going to have to write my own. *giggles* I do find the books to be well written, and the characterization is done nicely. I find no fault with the author that he and I share different interests. LOL

I do want to read them all and watch the series for what little I can squeeze out. Unless of course Cersei gets killed off then I would stop most likely because the story for me would be over. Unless of course further into the books I find another character or two to root for.
    You might like Peter David's Sir Apropos of Nothing.

You will also like Sansa even more as the books progress, I would suspect, and in regards to Team Lannister too.

creatorofPreten
    Spoiler:
    I don't want to marry you, Sansa wailed. "You chopped off my father's head.
    I giggled so much at that line. Not that I can blame her, of course. I am thinking now that Sansa has woken up and seen the light that her character does have possibilities.

I just finished book one, and am feeling much more positively towards the series now. I am awed by Daenerys' character. She took a a while to grow on me, but by the end my mouth was gaping, and I was in awe. Also the dragon thing is pretty cool.

Tyrion is a wonderful character because of his snarkiness, sarcasm, and wit, and because he is not perfect or beautiful, just smart and motivated to survive. He is quite entertaining.

Jaime has possibilities of honor, and
    Spoiler:
    I liked his attitude when he got captured

I love female villain characters, so of course Cersei will always be a favorite.

Spoiler:
    Ned's death was a bit shocking, but since I didn't like him I did not mind.

I do not care for Catelyn at all.

Robb is an awful lot like his father, but he hasn't yet done anything to make me dislike him personally. He has done an amazing job with the tasks set before him, so I do have to give him credit, but cannot say that I actually like him.

No opinion on Bran. I like that he is older in the series, I like that they aged all of the kids except for Arya.

Arya is a strong personality, it's pretty hard to dislike her. I think that she could become interesting later on.

Jon Snow was sometimes interesting and sometimes annoying. I did like learning about the wall and the wildlings.

I also like Shae, and the maegi, and Ser Jorah Mormont.

All in all the book was slow to catch my interest, but it picked up in the final three hundred pages or so, until I actually found myself engaged and remembering why I love to read so much. I do think the book has way too many viewpoint characters, and included a lot of unnecessary material. But I am looking forward to reading the second book.

Go house Lannister. But go even further House Targaryen.

Kat G, thank you for the recommendation. I will check it out.

Also Seak, thank you for sharing how to make spoiler tags as well.
    Last edited by creatorofPreten; April 29th, 2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: forgot a thank you

Blog Entries
    At first I thought I would be House Lannister as well because I liked the character of Jaime. I'm drawn towards arrogant characters who have a lot of attitude, and Jaime is definitely one of those. Tyrion is fantastic also, but that goes without saying. But certain events have unfolded (I am about 175 away from the end) and I really really REALLY hate Cersei and Joffrey. They are disgusting people, worse even than those Jersey Shore morons. Watching the show makes me dislike them even more, with their smug looks and grins. My dislike of them trumps my liking for Jaime and even Tyrion.

So much has unfolded already that I can't believe this is only the first book in a long series. It's so extremely well done and the most exciting part for me is the fact that there are 3 more books out there and the 4th was finished yesterday! Awesome.

Blog Entries
    I just finished Catelyn's POV chapter where they cross the river at the Twins. Lord Walder Frey's character is classic! I hope to see more of him

Blog Entries
    "And Grey Wind threw back his head and howled."

A goosebump moment to be sure. This is the greatest book I have read since The Warrior Prophet. I love it.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Speaking of new readers, my brother enjoyed the first two episodes of the show so much that he picked up the first book. It's only been one week, and he's nearly finished (and he probably hasn't read a book in ten years).

That brings my total converts to 7! 1 from years ago, and 6 in the last couple of months.

Speaking of AGoT, I've always had a question.

Spoiler:
    The scene where Arya is in the tunnel and overhears the two men talking, I've never been clear on who they were. One I'm fairly certain was Illyrio, correct? The other my assumption was Varys, but I wasn't sure. Is that what everyone else has thought as well? As far as I remember, we don't ever find out for certain-though its been years since I've read it- though I know he describes them a bit.

krm, you're right. You should be able to recognize one of the men by his description, and the other man you should be able to figure out later on in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by krm0915 View Post
    Speaking of AGoT, I've always had a question.

Spoiler:
    The scene where Arya is in the tunnel and overhears the two men talking, I've never been clear on who they were. One I'm fairly certain was Illyrio, correct? The other my assumption was Varys, but I wasn't sure. Is that what everyone else has thought as well? As far as I remember, we don't ever find out for certain-though its been years since I've read it- though I know he describes them a bit.
    Spoiler:
    It's clearly Varys. When asked, he says a few times in the books that he serves the rightful king, which is neither Baratheon, Lannister or Stark. He's waiting for the Targaryens' return and plots for it. Not sure if he sent Barristan to Dany though or if the knight went of his own volition.

I definitely like it... Cersei alone is worth reading and enjoying the books, and I love her brother/lover Jaime (who reminds me of my first love). Reading fictions, I often end up loving culprits most.
    http://darkfantasysuspensefiction.bl.../george-r.html

Re-reading book 4 now, after many years. Have to say, the mediocre ratings for book 4 on Amazon (compared to the thousands of 5 star ratings for books 1-3) are totally unfair. 4 has Martin's writing style and plotting, through and through. Readers giving mediocre reviews just punished Martin for a book focused on only half his characters, leaving out some of the major ones. While that was probably a mistake, (of sorts), coming back to the book and re-reading this one, not the others, let me see how awesome it is.

Enjoy the series!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    Re-reading book 4 now, after many years. Have to say, the mediocre ratings for book 4 on Amazon (compared to the thousands of 5 star ratings for books 1-3) are totally unfair. 4 has Martin's writing style and plotting, through and through. Readers giving mediocre reviews just punished Martin for a book focused on only half his characters, leaving out some of the major ones. While that was probably a mistake, (of sorts), coming back to the book and re-reading this one, not the others, let me see how awesome it is.

Enjoy the series!
    Yes. Very similar situation to some of the latter Wheel of Time books that got bad ratings simply because after 3-5 years wait the books did not push the plot along overmuch. Here's the thing: they're still GOOD books. Maybe not fantastic, but certainly not nearly as bad as the passionate "wtf this is missing X Y Z" reviews make them seem. When the entire series is out and can be read through without wait, AFFC will hold up in quality to the rest of the series.

That's what I think, anyway