Title of Old Scifi Book

I am looking for the Title, Author, and Publisher of an old scifi book I read back in the late 60's, earily 70's. Premise was an war injured space pilot, only had his brain and nervous system survive. Given a new body by scientist made of substance other than carbon. Scientist was murdered and polit was imprisoned from crime on desert planet. Escaped and use some type of device to go to alternate world reality discovered by scientist. There he discovers that his body was made for this world and provides powers to defeat some type of creature threatening that world. Returns to real world with new powers and finds killer of scientist.

If you have any information, please E-mail me at Bullethead.com@Gateway.net

to bullethead- I have over 3,000 sf pocket books in my collection dating back over 50 years. While reading your message a book by Frederic Pohl titled Man Plus came to mind. However this book was published in 1977. If you read the book in the late 60's early 70's this could not have been the one. If you could provide the author of the book you are searching for I may be of some help. I have read to much sf to be able to remember every single one. Some stand out more than others. Contact me at keeper_of_the_books@hotmail.com or leave a new message on the board. I am a new member, just signed up yesterday. I am waiting for a response to my question. Good luck in your search.

[This message has been edited by al (edited January 30, 2000).]