Need help identifying a book

This has been bugging me for years and I am hoping I can get some help. When I was younger, I read a lot of books and by the time I graduated from high school, I had 2 bookcases full of books. I think it was 373 the last time I counted.

Among those books there was a series of books that I had really liked and had read numerous times. I have been trying to remember this series and for the life of me, I cant remember a darn thing about them. I think it was a 3 or 5 book series. I remember almost nothing about them other than loving them. The things I do think I remember I am afraid may be pits and pieces from other books.

So, here is what I can remember. The series was a Fantasy series. One of the main characters was a large male... bipedal being. I remember him being very tall and not human. I think he had fur and may have had pointed ears (not a elf type creature). He carried with him a large 2 handed sword with (I think) a large red orb\jewel in the pommel. There was a considerable amount of magic invested into the sword via the orb. (Not orb of Aldur or anything like that - I think it was blue anyway). On most of the covers of the books, he wore full armor without a helmet. I think the armor was dark gray in most of the artwork. The best clue I have to identify the books is that he had a giant cat the he rode upon. One of the covers, I think he is standing to left of the cat that is hunkered down facing out and the other characters are to the right. On another of the covers, he is riding on the cat. I think one of the other primary characters was a girl who was developing magic powers and that the guy on the cat was to protect her.

As lame as this is, that is all I can remember. I used to remember every character from every book that I read. That lasted right up to college and my discovery of beer. Now, all of its gone. I cant remember anything. It a major bummer.

Anyway, I realize this is very little to go on but I am hoping that something will ring a bell someone can point me in the right direction. This would have been in the early to mid 80s. After 1982 I think.

Thanks,
    Steve

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    It sounds like something by C J Cherryh: Faded Sun, Cyteen or Chanur series. I have not read them, but I recall some of Michael Ehelan covers.

Blog Entries

The Lords of Dus

You are looking for a series by Lawrence Watt-Evans "The Lords of Dus", which is a four book series.

The Lure of the Bassilisk
    The Seven Altars of Dusarra
    The Sword of Bheleu
    The Book of Silence

I recently read these books for the first time. I tracked them down from the Darrell K. Sweet covers with an Apeman riding a giant panther. He is a member of a created race called overmen. I managed to get three copies with the original artwork from Amazon but it was not easy and used was all there was available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkarlives View Post
    You are looking for a series by Lawrence Watt-Evans "The Lords of Dus", which is a four book series.

The Lure of the Bassilisk
    The Seven Altars of Dusarra
    The Sword of Bheleu
    The Book of Silence

I recently read these books for the first time. I tracked them down from the Darrell K. Sweet covers with an Apeman riding a giant panther. He is a member of a created race called overmen. I managed to get three copies with the original artwork from Amazon but it was not easy and used was all there was available.

Thank you. That is the series I am looking for. Can't say I care for the new cover art they have on them now.

Been trying to find some new stuff to read but nothing looks overly interesting. Decided to go back and re-read some books that I remember really liking. Finding that out that how my brain functions has changed a lot since high school. I remember loving the Riddle Master of Hed and the other 2 books of the series. Re-read them and didn't like them as much.

Need to re-read the Elric of Melnibone books and see if I still think the same.