Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    This thread doesn't have much activity so far, but I'm interested in the non-reader perspective. What do you think about the backstory and exposition so far? Is it confusing? Is there too much of it? It seems as though some of the readers think non-readers will be confused, but that hasn't been my experience.
    Sadly, it hasn't. I think it's partially because a lot of people on SFFWorld who are watching GoT will have read the books - They are fairly standard fare for fantasy fans, after all.

I will confess that either due to people eating during the time it's on or the poor quality of the TV that I do miss things they say, especially a lot of the back-story and intricate dialogue, but I don't feel lost.

It's kinda clear what's going on. The Throne has recently been vacated, and Ned is torn between serving his King (As his morals say he should) and doing what he think he should. He doesn't want to be there, but he doesn't see a choice. Jon doesn't have any choice in what he's doing, either. The Lannisters want the throne for themselves, and will crush anyone to see it in their hands. Creepy Blonde Guy would sell his sister (And perhaps practically did) to claim the throne, but he's far too self-righteous to even have a hope of claiming it.

So, basically, the Starks want to keep to themselves as best they can, the Lannisters want power for themselves, Joffrey needs a slap, Tyrion needs a whore, Daenerys just wants to love and please Khal Drogo as he'll look after her, King Robb (Is it one or two Bs?) wants to get sloshed and procreate like there's no tomorrow, and that's really all I can think of at the moment. Everything else is, currently, a minor plotline.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Just to clarify, the throne has not been vacated... Robert was, and still is, the king. The position of King's Hand is what was vacated.

Actually, Jon is a volunteer, so he can leave, as he hasn't taken his vow yet. Once he gets to that stage, if he leaves, then he's a deserter (like that poor fellow they beheaded in the first episode.) It's just that there isn't much for him to go back to, even though all his half-siblings love him.

Robb with two b's is Robb Stark, Ned's oldest son and heir. Robert the king is Rob with one b.

Just to clarify, the throne has not been vacated... Robert was, and still is, the king. The position of King's Hand is what was vacated.
    Ah, sorry. Got a bit confuddled there.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Actually, Jon is a volunteer, so he can leave, as he hasn't taken his vow yet. Once he gets to that stage, if he leaves, then he's a deserter (like that poor fellow they beheaded in the first episode.) It's just that there isn't much for him to go back to, even though all his half-siblings love him.
    That's kinda what I meant, Kat. There's no real life for him in Winterfell, or even most (If all) places south of the border. Actually, on that note, I felt that Kit seemed a lot stronger an actor in yesterday's episode.

I kinda get the feeling that Ned would love to change the rules, to allow Jon to live a 'normal' life and to let Arya be who she is. And, of course, to slap some sense into King Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerwell View Post
    Ah, sorry. Got a bit confuddled there.
    No worries. Now that you mention it, I realize that they havent shown Robert sitting in the throne yet. That might be confusing.

No worries. Now that you mention it, I realize that they havent shown Robert sitting in the throne yet. That might be confusing.
    Ah, I think I worked out what's confused me.

I must have thought Robert was a King of some land/country, and that the Throne was above all that - If that makes sense? I think it's because I got a bit confused due to the Meister and the Lurvin' Lannisters (Right?) talking about someone passing away right at the very start of the show.

Ah, I think I worked out what's confused me.

I must have thought Robert was a King of some land/country, and that the Throne was above all that - If that makes sense? I think it's because I got a bit confused due to the Meister and the Lurvin' Lannisters (Right?) talking about someone passing away right at the very start of the show.
    A long time ago there were independent kings, but now all Seven Kingdoms are united under one king.

The guy who passed away at the beginning was Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King (main advisor). Ned Stark has replaced him, and is the new Hand.

A long time ago there were independent kings, but now all Seven Kingdoms are united under one king.

The guy who passed away at the beginning was Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King (main advisor). Ned Stark has replaced him, and is the new Hand.
    Right. I should now hopefully be less confused! Thank you, EA.

Thoughts on last night's episode (#5).

I'm not sure, if I'm honest. Half of the combat scenes looked almost laughable if I'm honest. The scene where Caitlyn is attacked on the road? Oh dear, that wasn't well choreographed. The same went for the fight between Incest Boy and Ned.

I also wasn't sure about the scene in the dungeon. Villains/advisers aren't supposed to be stupid, so why were they talking about what they were in a large corridor that echoes and makes them sound louder, especially when Littlefinger and others have eyes and ears everywhere?

Who was the guy who got cock-blocked by the prostitute? The guy who kept trying to insult Tyrion but came off as an arrogant sod, that is. Is that Ned's eldest?

Oh, talking of Tyrion... Peter Dinklage stole the show once again. He's got to be one of the best actors on the show.

Thoughts on last night's episode (#5).

I'm not sure, if I'm honest. Half of the combat scenes looked almost laughable if I'm honest. The scene where Caitlyn is attacked on the road? Oh dear, that wasn't well choreographed. The same went for the fight between Incest Boy and Ned.

I also wasn't sure about the scene in the dungeon. Villains/advisers aren't supposed to be stupid, so why were they talking about what they were in a large corridor that echoes and makes them sound louder, especially when Littlefinger and others have eyes and ears everywhere?

Who was the guy who got cock-blocked by the prostitute? The guy who kept trying to insult Tyrion but came off as an arrogant sod, that is. Is that Ned's eldest?

Oh, talking of Tyrion... Peter Dinklage stole the show once again. He's got to be one of the best actors on the show.
    I loved the fight scenes (especially the one you didn't like!). I thought this was the most exciting episode so far.

Anyways, that guy with the prostitute was Theon Greyjoy. They introduced him in Episode 4 last week (two scenes), and gave him another two scenes this week. I can see it being confusing, though.

He's not a Stark, he's essentially a hostage ("ward") who was raised by the Starks. His family, the Greyjoys, staged a failed rebellion 9 years ago. When it was over, Ned Stark took Theon to Winterfell as a ward, where he was raised, to ensure the obedience of the Greyjoy family.

Anyways, that guy with the prostitute was Theon Greyjoy. They introduced him in Episode 4 last week (two scenes), and gave him another two scenes this week. I can see it being confusing, though.

He's not a Stark, he's essentially a hostage ("ward") who was raised by the Starks. His family, the Greyjoys, staged a failed rebellion 9 years ago. When it was over, Ned Stark took Theon to Winterfell as a ward, where he was raised, to ensure the obedience of the Greyjoy family.
    Oh, I see. I knew I'd seen him around. He looks a bit like Ned's eldest, I think, and maybe even sounds a bit like him.

Oh, I know what I forgot to mention. The Mountain didn't do a good job of decapitating his horse, did he? But that sword was huge!

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I think I prefer this slightly clumsy, grain threshing style of fighting to the the choreographed kung-fu dance of wire traction heroes.
    The blades are quite heavy, and both Ned and Jaime showed the importance of footwork. The waterdance also insist on mobility, but with lighter blades and without full plate armor.

Although a few of those kingdoms aren't convinced the best man got the job.

That's one of those things where stuff from the book isn't quite clear in the show. The two men are coming in from tunnels that run under the palace and are not regularly used so that the guy will not be seen. The "dungeon" is an old one, a deserted space where they've stashed the old dragon skulls, not an active area, so they aren't expecting spies and the echoing is primarily for Arya because of sound bouncing off the dragon skulls, if I remember right. Arya ends up using these tunnels, which take her out of the palace, and she ends up coming around to the gates where she has to talk her way back in. This is foreshadowing.

I agree that the actors playing Theon and Robb look rather alike, which was a problem in the first couple of episodes where they didn't properly explain who Theon was, so that it seemed like he was a Stark relative of some kind. But they fixed it when Tyrion talks with Theon and it's explained who Theon is. Their conversation was about Roz the prostitute in part, so that's why Theon brings up Tyrion with Roz. He's still pissed off about that conversation with Tyrion, as Tyrion is the master of put-downs.

That's one of those things where stuff from the book isn't quite clear in the show. The two men are coming in from tunnels that run under the palace and are not regularly used so that the guy will not be seen. The "dungeon" is an old one, a deserted space where they've stashed the old dragon skulls, not an active area, so they aren't expecting spies
    But surely, for two people playing such a dangerous game, it's a careless move? Well, it was a careless move as Arya overheard them, intentionally or not.

I agree that the actors playing Theon and Robb look rather alike, which was a problem in the first couple of episodes where they didn't properly explain who Theon was, so that it seemed like he was a Stark relative of some kind. But they fixed it when Tyrion talks with Theon and it's explained who Theon is. Their conversation was about Roz the prostitute in part, so that's why Theon brings up Tyrion with Roz. He's still pissed off about that conversation with Tyrion, as Tyrion is the master of put-downs.
    I probably couldn't tell you who either of them were if you put them next to each other Robb's the one in Winterfell, right? And Theon is... Uh... One of the people on The Wall? It'd make sense because isn't Roz in a brothel near The Wall?

And Tyrion is just the Master.