Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Ned's execution was pretty much exactly like the book. I thought they did a great job. It felt just as tragic and pointless when I read it for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Ned's execution was pretty much exactly like the book. I thought they did a great job. It felt just as tragic and pointless when I read it for the first time.
    Well technically it was told by Arya's POV so we didn't see the sword come down, just heard the reaction from the audience. So I didn't think it was all that powerful in the book, personally. The show I found to be extremely powerful.

I was an idiot and spoiled myself for Ned's death, but I thought that it was a great scene. Ned betrays his honour only to die for it. It's also a great way to portray the difference in leadership between Ned and Joffery. At the beginning of the series, Ned is willing to take the sword himself and exact the execution, whereas in this episode Joffery has someone else do it for him.

I thought the execution scene was excellent. I'd guessed he was going to die, but I thought he would take the "honourable" route and denounce Joffry.

The way I read it was that Ned was planning on doing just that, but then he saw that Arya was alive and changed his mind. I thought that Varys had known full well that Ned would be killed, but basically tricked him in to thinking he would be exiled. But perhaps I read it wrong. It all linked in with what that guy said to Jon about honour vs family.

The Hunter Rose Grendel.. Grendel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by End Of Disc One View Post
    That's odd, I knew it was coming and my heart was pounding so hard. I thought the scene was incredibly powerful. A lot more so than it was in the book.
    Same here.

To be fair, I think if it had been more drawn out in the book, it wouldn't have been as powerful. In print, if you want to shock people by an event, I think it has to be short and concise. The fact that it wasn't built up and was written in the same style as any off the cuff scene made it all the more chilling.

As I was writing that, I remembered the scene in Braveheart where Mel kills the guy that killed his wife. Remember how there was no buildup, no preamble. He walks up quickly and just cuts his throat and then walks away. The fact that it was done no nonchalantly was startling to me. I remember feeling that in the book and I think that's how it was supposed to feel.
    Last edited by Grendel; June 14th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UB313 View Post
    I thought the execution scene was excellent. I'd guessed he was going to die, but I thought he would take the "honourable" route and denounce Joffry.

The way I read it was that Ned was planning on doing just that, but then he saw that Arya was alive and changed his mind. I thought that Varys had known full well that Ned would be killed, but basically tricked him in to thinking he would be exiled. But perhaps I read it wrong. It all linked in with what that guy said to Jon about honour vs family.
    I don't think Varys wanted Ned dead at all.

If you recall the argument Arya overheard by the dragon skulls, Varys was the participant who argued against killing Ned, saying something along the lines of "he's different" from the other Hand.

I don't think Cersei wanted Ned dead either, in part because it would cause one heck of a war, but also because he'd given her what she wanted: proclamation that Joffrey is the rightful heir.

Now Littlefinger, though? He's the hardest to pin down. Did he want Ned dead, or just out of the way? I think either way was okay with him.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    or maybe the simplest explanation is the right one and Joffrey is the sole responsible for the execution - the spoiled brat who wants to prove that he is the "decider". There's no need to built complex theories about Littlefinger or Varys or Cersei. Ned's death doesn't really serve the interest of the realm, seeing as there is no place left to avoid an all out war.

It's not like Ned is wholly innocent, though. It was Rob's wish (I think) for Whiny Boy to be the next king, yet Ned never said to him that Joffrey isn't his get and that Rob's brother (I think) is the true heir. Of course Cersei would likely know Joffrey's true heritage, but she wants her little creature on the throne (No, not that throne. The one with swords). What he did was, to him, morally right and perhaps even the most honorable path, but he was in a position where he'd trusted the wrong people (i.e. everyone) and planned too much.

Ned's death proves that honor and true lines of lineage have absolutely no meaning in what's essentially a game of politics, life and death.

Thoughts on the final episode of season one:
    It was a fairly... I'm not sure. It was a good episode, but it didn't have a climactic feel to it for the most part. It felt no different to most of the other ones. I found the scene where Daenerys was washing Drogo's body to be creepy rather than emotional, but I must confess the scene with the Grand Meister doing the stretches made me giggle a little. Oh, and did Joffrey really say something about calling for Sansa "after her blood"? Or did the TV's terrible sound quality muffle something? In general, I think it was left on so much of a cliffhanger that the climactic feel just wasn't built up and it never felt like the end of anything (Well, it's not the end, but you know what I mean).

The Watch going through The Wall - Left open.
    Arya going with the other people - Left open.
    Joffrey talking to weird guy and the eunuch - Left open.
    Robb being proclaimed King - Left open.

As for the final scene? It was pretty good, although I didn't really feel much. I'm pretty sure Daenerys' body was CGI, though, and the animation looked really, really stiff and unnatural. I didn't buy it for a second which, sadly, detracted from the scene for me. I honestly think one of the scenes like Robb being proclaimed a king would have worked better as an end, or the scene with the Watch going through the tunnel.

A bit of a damp end to the series, in my opinion, but still a good episode. I've really enjoyed this show so far, and I'm hoping next season will be even better.

Yeah. It's just annoying that they ended it there frankly. Didn't seem like the place to end it. It was a good episode, but... It needed some finality to the story. Cliffhangers are fine, but not when you have to wait a year or something.

I don't get it actually - are we only part way through AGoT the novel, or is the next season to be based on the sequel?

That's how the novel ended, across the board. And that's about the most final point to be had for, oh, another 800 pages of novel, so......seems like the best place to end to me unless they were going to change things to make some artificial ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Thoughts on the final episode of season one:
    It was a fairly... I'm not sure. It was a good episode, but it didn't have a climactic feel to it for the most part. It felt no different to most of the other ones. I found the scene where Daenerys was washing Drogo's body to be creepy rather than emotional, but I must confess the scene with the Grand Meister doing the stretches made me giggle a little. Oh, and did Joffrey really say something about calling for Sansa "after her blood"? Or did the TV's terrible sound quality muffle something? In general, I think it was left on so much of a cliffhanger that the climactic feel just wasn't built up and it never felt like the end of anything (Well, it's not the end, but you know what I mean).

The Watch going through The Wall - Left open.
    Arya going with the other people - Left open.
    Joffrey talking to weird guy and the eunuch - Left open.
    Robb being proclaimed King - Left open.

As for the final scene? It was pretty good, although I didn't really feel much. I'm pretty sure Daenerys' body was CGI, though, and the animation looked really, really stiff and unnatural. I didn't buy it for a second which, sadly, detracted from the scene for me. I honestly think one of the scenes like Robb being proclaimed a king would have worked better as an end, or the scene with the Watch going through the tunnel.

A bit of a damp end to the series, in my opinion, but still a good episode. I've really enjoyed this show so far, and I'm hoping next season will be even better.
    Just gotta say, I completely disagree with every sentence here. Especially regarding Dany and the dragons. It was perfect.

And there are no "endings" in this series, not between the novels. It's ONE long story, like LOTR... and the books aren't even complete yet. The most you'll ever get for endings is when things turn in a new direction, and that happened in this finale for nearly every character.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; June 20th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

you know i thought i concluded nicely regardless of your point evil agent. he sees it that way, but i personally see it as

jon snow's training - over
    khal drogo and dany - over
    open war between the stark's and the lannister's - over
    arya's time in the king's landing - over

the war against the barbarians - beginning
    tyrion as the hand of the king - beginning
    dany gathering a new force - beginning
    etc.

i enjoyed the way it set up the next book/season

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I think Dany's body looked CG as well, actually. I find it so weird that the dragons looked just fine, whereas she looked so stiff and unnatural like you say. Maybe it's just us, though...

Quote Originally Posted by sdelu View Post
    I think Dany's body looked CG as well, actually. I find it so weird that the dragons looked just fine, whereas she looked so stiff and unnatural like you say. Maybe it's just us, though...
    Yeah, it's just you. A CGI body? No way.