Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    Well, I've asked a few friends who never read the books and when I asked them who Theon was, I got a 'Who?' and an 'Their eldest kid?' So, If I can't even pick him out I doubt they can. xD But no one else seems to have minded, and those lines are in character.

I saw Alfie do a performance of Equus once, and we did some drama workshops, so I have nothing bad to say about his performance really. I know he is a solid actor. I was just worried about the book-to-screen translation.

It's also good the Hound is being used fully, despite my reservations about his intimidation factor.

Also, I like Jaime's actor. I can already see that guy being a semi-decent human being. Cersei's manipulation shone through, too. He seemed so caring towards Bran and he always has a smile on his face while talking with Tyrion. Even his snide scenes with Ned and Jon were <3.
    I think this is revisionist thinking. At this point in the book most people probably thought Theon was just another throwaway character. It's because you have read the book and know what is to come that you expect more from him at this point.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Another superb episode.

I'm a huge lover of dogs (just look at my big ol' pup in my avatar) and wolves for that matter so I love all the Direwolf stuff, especially when Summer DESTROYED Bran's would-be assassin then curled up next to his master.

-Tyrion bitch-slapping Joff. I'll never tire of that.

The direwolves are total scene-stealers. My friend actually cheered when Bran's direwolf wrecked shop. I also liked how in the scene just prior to the assassination attempt, where Robb is all "I'll make the appointments." You can hear Summer howling in the background. I thought that was a nice touch.

They cast Joffery well. That kid pulls off "snotty prick" so well. It was fun watching Tyrion slap the taste out his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    The direwolves are total scene-stealers. My friend actually cheered when Bran's direwolf wrecked shop. I also liked how in the scene just prior to the assassination attempt, where Robb is all "I'll make the appointments." You can hear Summer howling in the background. I thought that was a nice touch.

They cast Joffery well. That kid pulls off "snotty prick" so well. It was fun watching Tyrion slap the taste out his mouth.
    Yes. The direwolves are so cool. I'm having such a hard time not starting my reread right this second...but I don't want to ruin the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    I think this is revisionist thinking. At this point in the book most people probably thought Theon was just another throwaway character. It's because you have read the book and know what is to come that you expect more from him at this point.
    There might be an element of that.

It's more just that I (and my non-reader friends) couldn't figure out who he was/kept forgetting him. xD

contains traces of nuts Hoodwink's Avatar
    I'm enjoying this series immensely. I think even if they fouled it up I'd find it difficult to admit it to myself. I'd fall back on the tried and tested "Swords and Breasts, what more could you want?"!

Fantasy is home. I cheer every time any fantasy book appears on the screen in any format (with the exception of Legend of the Seeker). Hell, I even enjoyed LadyHawke

I can't wait for Hodor. I adore Hodor. I once spent an entire day on a Wheel of Time forum posting as Hodor back in 97 which got me in all kinds of trouble.

I wonder what the actor playing Hodor made of the script when he first received it? I like to imagine hours of struggling with the delivery of the lines, lots of method acting like striding down the street with a kid strapped to your back smiling and bellowing Hodor at strangers.

Ah, now there's an idea for what I'm going to do instead of watching a model marrying Prince Bovine on Friday....

I found I enjoyed the second episode quite a bit more than the first. It just seemed better balanced, overall. Really looking forward to the third episode, and it's great to hear that they have renewed it for a second season already.

Wow, and I thought the first episode set a high bar!

Highlight Scenes:

Ned and Jon farewell. Jamie and Jon was beautifully done as well.

Cersei and Cat with Bran. Even though I'm sure it has been changed from the book, (been a long while since I read it.) I think they pulled off displaying the shades of grey these characters have very well. Cersei seems to delude even herself with the story of her lost firstborn.

Has anyone heard how the characters pronounce her name? Cersay or Cersigh? I think I thought of her as Cersay when I originally read the book. Again, I thought the actress would be a little more of a head turner, yet this ladies' acting skills are winning me over.

Tyrion and Jon discuss the Watch. Nearly note perfect....except for Tyrion's accent. Starting to bother me a little. Maybe it's because it's been pointed out here and elsewhere, but it seems obvious the accent is forced.

Silly really, I really never considered for a second that these characters had to speak with an English accent when I read the books. Sure, its an alternate England and all that, but it ain't King Arthur either. Peter Jackson failed to see the need for forced English accents in Lord of the Rings, and I do believe JRR taught lit at Oxford. GRR, (hmmm, never really noticed that similarity before) on the other hand is an American.

Minor quibble anyway, maybe he'll get better at the accent, or more likely I'll stop noticing it so much.

Cat, Robb and the assassin. Looks like the actor playing Robb will make a go of it, was not able to discern that in the first episode. Another good scene with the Starks in the Godswood.

The river scene. The kid actors are marvelous. Arya stealing the show! Joffrey is the face slapping punk we all would love to smack. Sansa is Sansa. Best scene of the series so far for me.

Yeah the direwolfs would be larger in my mind's eye, but still the dogs have been casted perfectly. Huge wolf actors are quite hard to find these days.

Ned and the King discuss the Targayens. I can't remember if this scene happened like this in the book or not, but I think it does a great job of exposition, since those who have not read the book did not know that Jamie did Rhaegar. Surprised they did not drop the name Kingslayer yet, but perhaps thats not till later in the books either?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayne View Post

Did anyone else notice how the intro was slightly changed for the second episode? Instead of showing Pentos at the end, it showed Vaes Dothrak. I thought that was pretty cool, and I'll be paying special attention to the intro in the coming episodes.
    From Alan Sepinwall's preview of the series, one of the best TV reviewers around:

As I talked about near the end of my pre-season review, the animated map opening title sequence is up to the standards of some of the best HBO has used. And it's one where you're actually going to want to pay attention to each week, as it changes depending on which parts of Westeros (and the nation across the Narrow Sea) are featured in that episode's action.
    I love the opening sequence, and I'm a bit mystified why anyone would complain about it. To me, the map in the book is critical, so I think of the opener as the scene setter for the viewer, just like the reader. I think an understanding of the geography of Westeros is critical.

Alan does an absolutely fantastic job in his reviews, he is well known for his Soprano's reviews. I loved him for his LOST, Breaking Bad and the new AMC show The Killing reviews too. Here is his take on The Kingsroad, for those interested.

There's just so much to like about this series. I can't even mention all of it right now. There are a couple of things I'm not too fond of, though. First off, The Hound. He didn't appear intimidating at all in the scenes we've seen him in so far. I can't quite remember what my impression of him in the start of the books was, but so far there's nothing intimidating about him at all. There even was a scene where I first just thought he was some random, ugly soldier. I'm pretty sure that he'll seem much more dangerous and intimidating later on, so it's not that big a deal to me.

The Dothraki don't really give me the impression that there are a whole lot of them. Okay, there were many of them in the first scene of the second episode, but other than that, I don't get the feeling the Drogo commands more than 20 men. Again I can't remember how they were presented in the books, but my own impression of the wedding was that it involved a lot more people.

Anyway, it's all just some minor things. I'm really loving it so far, and I can't wait till the next episode.
    Agreed on your last statement for sure. The Hound is growing on me, but I don't think those new to the series, like Sepinwall, have any idea how crucial characters like the Cleganes and Ser Payne will become.

The Dothraki scenes I agree were a bit questionable. These Dothraki reminded me more of Iroquois then the fierce desert warriors I recall from the book. I'll have to wait on Drogo, but clearly there is something way off there.

Whats not to like about Danys' intimate scene with her handmaiden? Loved it.

I haven't minded Tyrion's accent at all, really, and I'm British. xD

Also, the pups are.. well, still pups. If you looked at the size of the mother you'd see how big they are nitended to be, I reckon they will get larger by Season 2, especailly Grey Wind in his battles, Ghost, and Summer. Later, Nymeria and her pack. Shaggydog never gets much fun. =[

I am loving Tyrions accent, there is a richness to the way he talks which conveys the intellignence of the character - IMO

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    I am loving Tyrions accent, there is a richness to the way he talks which conveys the intellignence of the character - IMO
    i agree with you, i'm just a little bothered by his actual size. When I read the books I pictured Tyrion a little less handsome and quite a bit taller. I'm curious how he will pull off the battle scenes in Kings Landing.

Regarding episode 2, I saw it a little late being away from home for Easter. I felt an improvement in pace: less rushed than the pilot, with added depth to characters. We are still in exposition mode and I understand how some reviewers complained about too much dialogue and too little action. But the attack on Bran and the duel by the riverside give me hope for later in the series. As of now I am more excited by what I know will come next that by what went on in the first 2 episodes.
    I love the direwolves, but I feel it would have been better to shoot more establishing scenes like the one with Aria before throwing them into the action. I didn't even notice if Jon had his direwolf with him when he left Winterfell. The level of detail so far requires moer than one viewing to capture all. And this is a good thing in my book

Taller,eh? Its funny how we all have these different thoughts about the characters and what they look like - yet we all read the same words.

I think Cat finding one of Cersei's hair in the ruined tower might have been a bit too obvious a hint, but then this is tv, so maybe not.

That scene where Ned tells Jon "Next time we meet, I'll tell you about your mother, I promise." pretty poignant. My girlfriend is watching the show without having read the books, but she remembers last month I told her we still don't know much about Jon's mother as I was reading book 3, so that might spoil a few things for here. She did pick up AGoT last night though.

They are doing very well. But I do have the question -- are they ever going to let Drogo talk?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    They are doing very well. But I do have the question -- are they ever going to let Drogo talk?
    Yup, I saw a clip in one of the various teasers where he was talking in Dothraki (with subtitles).

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Speaking of the opening credits, I saw someone's piano arrangement of the theme music on youtube today. It inspired me to record my own cover of the theme music on guitar!

The first time I heard the song I thought it was okay... the second time I thought it was good... the third time, it became permanently stuck in my head!